Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,968,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Check again, most, if not all, ball floats have a screw that adjust the height of the float.
There is a screw on the valve but it does not make much difference, adjusts the level just enough to keep water from flowing into the overflow tube and it's at the lowest level already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 AM

17,655 posts, read 17,775,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
There is a screw on the valve but it does not make much difference, adjusts the level just enough to keep water from flowing into the overflow tube and it's at the lowest level already.
Changing it out with a modern flushing valve is cheap and easy DIY job. There's even a flushing valve that allows a smaller flush for urine. When I replaced mine, I used the opportunity to replace the stainless steel tubing with flexible hose.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If I lived close to a fresh market I wouldn't even own a frig, perhaps a very small one is all if anything.
You can grow a bunch of your own food in even a limited space. I have a little garden space but it's rocky, hilly and with poor shallow soil which tropical plants thrive on but is useless for anything much else. I begged a couple of wooden pallets from a local store, bought a big roll of heavy "weed guard" from Home Depot, stapled it the bottoms and sides of the pallets, placed them on the rocky little hill and filled them with a mix of purchased and local soil and compost (have a plastic composter where all my veggie cuttings, egg shells, coffee and some yard cleaning debris goes). On my deck I have a bunch of 5 gallon plastic contractor's pots, holes punched in the bottom for drainage and with the same mix of soil; and a slew of hanging containers in which I grow flowers from seeds but they can also be used for edibles. Between these set-ups I grow all sorts of herbs, chard, spinach, tomatoes, etc. "Stagger" the plantings for a steady supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You may be surprised to know that the average modern 50" LED TV uses only 195kWh a year, or about $21.
Good energy savings come from upgrading appliances if the old ones are more than 5-6 years old. In the last year we have replaced the stove, microwave, washer, dryer, freezer, and dishwasher. All use substantially less electricity (and water) than the old ones that were 10-15 years old. We are also gradually replacing the CFL bulbs with LED which use half the electricity. The payback is not good, with the high cost of all this and our electricity being only about 6 cents/kWk but we do it anyway.
Great information with which I wholeheartedly agree. I closed my restaurant a couple of years ago but my electric bill there was initially huge (not helped by the fact that the USVI boasts the highest electric rates under the US flag - right now about 0.53/kWh!). Within the first 5 years I cut my electric bill by almost half! As my appliances ('fridges, freezers, coolers, etc.) deteriorated I replaced them with energy-savers; replaced all interior and exterior lights with energy-savers, replaced the bathroom toilets with low flushers; etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,071,555 times
Our in-town home and cabin run totally on clean hydro and solar power respectively.

The solar home does have the problem of fossil fuel generator back-up. Need to find someone that makes infra-red solar panels for winter electric generation.

It is my solar home that needs help.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,313,722 times
Even if you turn off the power strip, unless you unplug it, there is still electricity feeding it. I replaced the old windows, light bulbs and mechanical stuff that cost the most to operate, heat, cool, etc. My outside lights are on 24/7. My September bill is $97.00.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,485,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Even if you turn off the power strip, unless you unplug it, there is still electricity feeding it.
Not if you get the kind that have no circuit breaker or indicator light.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,942,686 times
Bike almost everywhere. There is an obvious one. Occupancy sensors instead of light switches, especially in rooms you often forget to turn off lights.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 17,050 times
Here are things I've been doing more and more lately:
Use cold water in washer
Line-dry most blouses, undergarments, socks, most slacks, too. No clothesline or I'd line-dry sheets and towels, too.
To stay warm: Wear a warm hoodie jacket and fuzzy socks at home, or drink hot tea (or just hot water with a few drops of peppermint oil)
Buy smaller quantities of fresh groceries to reduce waste
Resist using washer and dishwasher until there's a full load
Don't start car until I'm ready to drive immediately (seatbelt on, all bags/stuff arranged, etc). Radio and climate control adjustments can wait until the first long red light (I always try to turn off all that stuff before I turn off car)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living