Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:36 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times

Advertisements

Please discuss the small simple energy saving techniques you implement into your everyday lives.

Recently, I started using roll-less toilet paper (no roll in the middle), stopped using the dryer to dry my cloths (instead opting for air dry indoors), put the water level all the way down in my toilets (as far down as they can operate functionally) and switched my energy provider to wind energy.

What are some techniques you have been implementing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I'm sure there are entire books on the subject that would be more helpful than anything we could mention, but here's one funny thing I've been stuck doing. I'm having some problems with my television turning off, so when I'm done watching, I have to unplug the whole stupid thing. I also use this as a ploy to watch less television. Anyway, since the instant on-off uses energy at all times, I must be saving quite a bit of electricity.

I imagine the best thing most people could do would be to drive less.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
I only use two incandescent bulbs only because of the shade clips, all others are CFL or LED, I always turn them off when leaving the room.

Clotheslines are a big energy saver.

I turn the heat off when not at home, I have a fan forced furnace, I can turn it on when I get home and it's warm right away.

I walk to a lot of places instead of driving.

I also recycle whenever possible.

Recycling Facts : Recycle Across America

Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
South Louisiana. Installed heat reflective window tint & solar screens on all Windows. As my incandescent bulbs died, I replaced them with CFL. Only two incandescent bulbs left in most infrequently used lights. As CFL bulbs go out, I replace them with LED bulbs. Lowered water heater thermostat. Used refrigerator thermometer to find the best food safe setting for refrigerator without making it colder than needed. As old TV's broke, we replaced them with LED models which generate less heat. Though my wife stays home all day with thermostat at 72, our summer electric bill is around $120 in our all electric home.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Forgot to add, when our washer/dryer was dying, we replaced them with top loading He washer and matching dryer. We also use only cold water for the majority of our laundry. The dryer has an automatic setting which senses the humidity of the air leaving the dryer and gives an audio signal when dry. This means the dryer runs only as long as necessary.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Rather than plug and unplug things that have a phantom load... the trickle of electricity that keeps digital displays lit up, and sensors for remote controls active, I use switchable plug strips that do not have indicator lights. This saves wear and tear on the wall outlets and plugs, which can be expensive to replace. And who really cares if the clock on the microwave oven is always wrong?

I have all CFLs and LEDs except one long life incandescent in a very high place which will take a tall ladder to reach whenever it finally burns out. But even before conversion I trained myself to turn off lights that I'm not actually using. I no longer leave the kitchen light on all evening in case I might want a glass of iced tea. In my parent's era all the lights were on all the time until we went to bed. Now it seems to me that's just a very wasteful practice. I turn lights on and off as I really need them.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Now it seems to me that's just a very wasteful practice. I turn lights on and off as I really need them.
Same, I rarely ever use lights for anything other than going to the restroom, even at night.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM

Don't dry clothes nor use big oven until after sunset or before noon. Toaster oven for small baking.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:03 PM

335 posts, read 409,700 times
We have a store nearby that sells commercial rolls of toilet paper and huge rolls
of continuous paper towels $3.00 each. (we tear off whatever we need and 4 rolls
lasts a year. Check out a local source.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
I have my TV, stereo and computer all on one power strip.

When I go to sleep at night I just turn off the power strip...

No vampire power wasters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living