Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,815,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You pick a lumbering touring bike to compare to an e-bike or even a bicycle?

Tell me that was just a joke.

Here we have it. A comparison of a Road King, a bike designed for touring as even you call it and you want to compare it to a bike or scooter in heavy traffic? Okay, using your logic, just how does that bicycle maneuver going up Lombard street in San Francisco or better yet, on the freeway? Oh wait, bicycles aren't designed to be ridden on freeways. Context is everything.

Whoa, where did scooter come from? Would that be something like typical e-scooters we see in cities?

Care to compare them to a Trials bike for maneuverability? I mean if you are going to compare an 800 pound motorcycle to a bicycle or scooter, why not compare a motorcycle that weighs about 180 pounds, you know, just to be fair. Okay, you might say a Trial bike isn't street legal so lets up the weight to an Enduro that weighs about 250 pounds, can ride on freeways and highways, carry two people and can also range for hundreds of miles and even across the country while emitting very little pollution compared to even hybrid cars.

In other words, your attempt at comparison is an epic failure.

There are over 15 major brand enduros that weigh in at less than 300 pounds and can maneuver as good or better than a bicycle and in fact, going up hills of any significant degree, do so better than a bike.

Come on.
Did you read my original response to the topic of this thread? I said,"I would consider an electric scooter with a decent range and acceleration to supplement my car and motorcycle use. It would be handy for jaunts in town and the city where my motorcycle is less maneuverable in stop and go traffic." My response was to CyberGuy1950 who questioned my assertion that a scooter (electric bike) was more maneuverable than MY motorcycle. My touring bike, (103 ci Harley is far from lumbering), is less maneuverable in the city and in stop and go traffic. I use my motorcycle to take 300 to 500 mile weekend trips where I need to be comfortable and carry baggage. I don't know why you are being so argumentative as all I was doing was answering the OP's question and I do feel that electric bicycles/mopeds/scooters are relatively inexpensive alternatives that can help reduce pollution and allow one to economically travel a few miles or so within cities and nearby areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,966,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Did you read my original response to the topic of this thread? I said,"I would consider an electric scooter with a decent range and acceleration to supplement my car and motorcycle use. It would be handy for jaunts in town and the city where my motorcycle is less maneuverable in stop and go traffic." My response was to CyberGuy1950 who questioned my assertion that a scooter (electric bike) was more maneuverable than MY motorcycle. My touring bike, (103 ci Harley is far from lumbering), is less maneuverable in the city and in stop and go traffic. I use my motorcycle to take 300 to 500 mile weekend trips where I need to be comfortable and carry baggage. I don't know why you are being so argumentative as all I was doing was answering the OP's question and I do feel that electric bicycles/mopeds/scooters are relatively inexpensive alternatives that can help reduce pollution and allow one to economically travel a few miles or so within cities and nearby areas.
Yes, I read your OP. The post you made about the bicycle being more maneuverable than a motorcycle was a blanket statement then followed up with a comparison that while relevant for you, doesn't reflect more than that. Stated as it was, it isn't the case for many people but stated as fact, it for sure isn't.

I can appreciate your position though so consider that we have someone on this forum who goes around hounding people because they might express an opinion and because of some convoluted desire to argue, want people to follow some arcane debating rules they want everyone else to follow but exclude their own behavior as justified.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
I can appreciate your position though so consider that we have someone on this forum who goes around hounding people because they might express an opinion and because of some convoluted desire to argue, want people to follow some arcane debating rules they want everyone else to follow but exclude their own behavior as justified.
It's clear from your customary passive-aggressive personal comment that you don't understand, nor even care about, the principles of logic OR polite debate, even though both are easily accessible on the internet, and referred to in the TOS here.

I don't know why you think that referring to me in the third person somehow gets you a free pass to bash others. It doesn't.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's clear from your customary passive-aggressive personal comment that you don't understand, nor even care about, the principles of logic OR polite debate, even though both are easily accessible on the internet, and referred to in the TOS here.

I don't know why you think that referring to me in the third person somehow gets you a free pass to bash others. It doesn't.
You do it all the time and in fact include many others on this forum when you do it. (didn't you say "Exactly. And we seem to have a lot of losers here"?) That is hypocritical.

color emphasis is mine.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,796,668 times
Quote:
You do it all the time and in fact include many others on this forum when you do it. (didn't you say "Exactly. And we seem to have a lot of losers here"?) That is hypocritical.

color emphasis is mine.
It doesn't matter who may or may not be doing what. It's not your job to police the forums. It's the job of the moderators who close threads and suspend users. They certainly wouldn't go about policing the forums by introducing more personal attacks as you do.

When you constantly do that you show people you have some obsessive compulsive need to be in an abusive position of authority over everyone and it makes people think you have psychological issues.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It doesn't matter who may or may not be doing what. It's not your job to police the forums. It's the job of the moderators who close threads and suspend users. They certainly wouldn't go about policing the forums by introducing more personal attacks as you do.

When you constantly do that you show people you have some obsessive compulsive need to be in an abusive position of authority over everyone and it makes people think you have psychological issues.
Your talking to the wrong person. Better educate yourself about who exactly runs around saying other always violate the TOS, are off topic and so on.

Before you start talking, how about a little reading? Really.

As for personal attacks, you just did. Typical.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,524,310 times
Sorry to say this but the person who runs around telling everyone what to say and to say it isn't Mack Knife. There is one person here who if you don't praise them or agree with them starts right in with claims of personal attacks, tos violations and has claimed to be the clean up person for the forum. This is off topic but lets be Open about all this. They even implied that disagreeing with them was unacceptable as a first post. To post here your first post has to agree with them.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I notice you live in Montana, so I would say the weather "could" be a problem.
Montana is a wonderful state, I would want the ability to do some road trips and exploring.

Many people have the goal of 100% car free, but what works for me is keeping a 11 year old car that I rarely drive. Low miles/use equals low maintenance costs and at 11 years old, low insurance and registration costs. But it is available when I need it, bad weather, heavy load or sightseeing away from home. YMMV

Agreed. The weather would be the biggest downside. I live 10 mins from work at most & I would love to ride a bike to work. From where I live you either take the interstate OR you go the long way though town,
riding at night can be dangerous knowing that people tend to care more about their phone then what's going on in front of them.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,194,681 times
I would not want to be riding any kind of bike in the rain snow or bad weather. I have a veggie burner and I am happy driving that

Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 AM

732 posts, read 969,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
I would not want to be riding any kind of bike in the rain snow or bad weather. I have a veggie burner and I am happy driving that
I usually ride a bicycle (pedal bike) for transportation, but public transit gets used when the weather is rainy. Some people here even ride their bicycles in the rain, but it's unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living