U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM

86,941 posts, read 80,215,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As I've pointed out before, the bird death issue at alternative energy sites, whether wind or solar, is overblown. Every power plant known to mankind causes wildlife deaths, as do cars and buildings, and domestic cats. A recent study showed that domestic cats that are allowed outside kill between 1.3 billion and 4 billion birds a year in the US. The US Fish and Wildlife service reports that over a billion birds are killed in the country each year simply by collisions with buildings. And let's not forget the huge loss of animal life caused by oil spills, coal ash leaching, settling pond toxicity, etc. But you've never heard of animals dying in a giant wind spill, have you?

But people who are opposed to wind turbines or solar farms for other reasons, principally selfish personal reasons, have seized on this issue as a sure-fire heart-strings puller with the public.

Meanwhile a number of technologies have been deployed to reduce the problem, newer designs will help and better siting in the future to avoid migratory bird paths will reduce it still further.
I dunno, D. The loss of bald or golden eagles doesn't quite compare with songbird deaths. And in some parts of the arctic, where cranes nest in the summer, it could be crane deaths. Eagles and cranes are sacred birds in many cultures. Reducing the problem would be very important. It's hard for me to advocate wind farms in areas where Native peoples would be heartsick over sacred bird deaths.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM

12,971 posts, read 25,078,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I dunno, D. The loss of bald or golden eagles doesn't quite compare with songbird deaths. And in some parts of the arctic, where cranes nest in the summer, it could be crane deaths. Eagles and cranes are sacred birds in many cultures. Reducing the problem would be very important. It's hard for me to advocate wind farms in areas where Native peoples would be heartsick over sacred bird deaths.
I'm not disagreeing about the need to be sensitive to the kinds of issues you raise, and to be proactive about finding solutions. Better site selection is part of it, as is better technology design. Mediation systems of many types are being implemented, from radar systems that automatically feather the turbine blades when birds are detected approaching, to posting live observers with direct controls.

But my point is that our need to switch to renewable energy sources is acute, and that blind opposition to wind farms and solar farms on the basis of an exaggerated view of the danger to wildlife relative to more conventional power plants misses the point that even the birds are at risk from the very pollution we are trying to reduce, and from the effects of climate change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or