U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 9,215,821 times

Advertisements

Air Balloon Wind Turbines Are The Future Of Wind Power - Vidéo Dailymotion

"The entire machine is tethered by a cable which transmits electricity and was lifted to 350 feet.

At that height, the Skystream turbine produced more than twice the power than a typical tower-mounted one, according to Altaeros Energy. The prototype test also automatically hoisted and lowered the airborne turbine, which was attached to a towable trailer."

Altaeros balloon boosts wind turbine power - CNET
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,947,771 times
I think it is an interesting concept, and I can see several possible applications. One would be as a rapid deployment power source for disaster areas. And it would be a great for use at rock festivals and other large outdoor festivals, to allow noisy, polluting generators to be turned down, or off.

Cons I can see are, high cost of helium and a dwindling supply of a material that is absolutely critical to electronics manufacturing, and the requirement for FAA approval due to possible conflict with governed airspace.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 PM

553 posts, read 512,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Cons I can see the requirement for FAA approval due to possible conflict with governed airspace.
That should be no problem for anything over a mile or two from an airport as an airplane should be well above a thousand feet by then. Anything under a thousand feet could be ceded to local control and then you'd only need to deal with City Hall. I can't think of any reason the Federal Government should need that airspace anyway. Balloons are cheaper than sattellites and can replace cell phone and other communication towers. This is one area that should enjoy bipartisan support. Congress is on their August break right now and so should be attending a rally near you. Otherwise:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

http://www.house.gov/

Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
That should be no problem for anything over a mile or two from an airport as an airplane should be well above a thousand feet by then. Anything under a thousand feet could be ceded to local control and then you'd only need to deal with City Hall.
That would be a big change. Currently any construction over 200ft, within about 4 miles of an airport requires a 45 day notification to the FAA, and under Part 101, moored balloons like this can't exceed 500 ft from the ground within 5 miles of an airport.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 PM

27 posts, read 29,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
the Skystream turbine produced more than twice the power than a typical tower-mounted one
What Mr. Ataeros omits: twice the power of a tower model *of the same diameter*.
Typical propeller diameters are 300 feet and more. Imagine or calclulate the wind power collected by them, compared to the toy we see on this pictures.
I own shares of several citizens' wind parks here in Germany, they have about 450 to 500 feet high towers, and I can't see the disadvantage of their immobility.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User555 View Post
I own shares of several citizens' wind parks here in Germany, they have about 450 to 500 feet high towers, and I can't see the disadvantage of their immobility.
Indeed, the only advantage to moblity is being able to move it when you wish, which is why I see this design being viable entirely within the domain of temporary applications.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM

981 posts, read 2,161,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Air Balloon Wind Turbines Are The Future Of Wind Power - Vidéo Dailymotion

"The entire machine is tethered by a cable which transmits electricity and was lifted to 350 feet.

At that height, the Skystream turbine produced more than twice the power than a typical tower-mounted one, according to Altaeros Energy. The prototype test also automatically hoisted and lowered the airborne turbine, which was attached to a towable trailer."

Altaeros balloon boosts wind turbine power - CNET
These seem like less of an eyesore than the rigid gigantic ones with access roads and other intrusions. It would be nice if all wind turbines were (re)movable as needed. But these also look flimsy and prone to breaking free in unexpected gusts.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM

86,049 posts, read 79,216,730 times
The wind turbine industry has never resolved the issue regarding migratory bird deaths, including birds under protected status, like eagles.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM

981 posts, read 2,161,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User555 View Post
What Mr. Ataeros omits: twice the power of a tower model *of the same diameter*.
Typical propeller diameters are 300 feet and more. Imagine or calclulate the wind power collected by them, compared to the toy we see on this pictures.
I wonder what you think of the Darmstadt Manifesto, written by Germans who got sick of rural landscapes being industrialized and robbed of quiet character? That was published back in 1998 and the blight has spread a lot since then.

I think wind turbines are a misguided form of energy, doing more harm than good to nature, overall. Prime example of Man building things because we can while ignoring moral consequences. There are a limited number of places to put such large machines and you rarely see them close to the main power users.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The wind turbine industry has never resolved the issue regarding migratory bird deaths, including birds under protected status, like eagles.
As I've pointed out before, the bird death issue at alternative energy sites, whether wind or solar, is overblown. Every power plant known to mankind causes wildlife deaths, as do cars and buildings, and domestic cats. A recent study showed that domestic cats that are allowed outside kill between 1.3 billion and 4 billion birds a year in the US. The US Fish and Wildlife service reports that over a billion birds are killed in the country each year simply by collisions with buildings. And let's not forget the huge loss of animal life caused by oil spills, coal ash leaching, settling pond toxicity, etc. But you've never heard of animals dying in a giant wind spill, have you?

But people who are opposed to wind turbines or solar farms for other reasons, principally selfish personal reasons, have seized on this issue as a sure-fire heart-strings puller with the public.

Meanwhile a number of technologies have been deployed to reduce the problem, newer designs will help and better siting in the future to avoid migratory bird paths will reduce it still further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or