Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM

84 posts, read 132,357 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on how one can consume less plastic?
I hate the sight of the refuse we generate - mostly plastic packaging for food and water.

Any economical, re-fillable spring water service around here?
Which food brands should I switch to for ecologically friendly packaging, preferably glass or recycled paper? We mostly consume yogurt, organic milk, ketchup, mustard ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,553,116 times
Buy a Chev Cruze Eco and get 42 MPG. ;-)

Dump recyclables in your brown container you leave at curb in Cary every other week.

Get pre-packaged portion-size condiments at fast food places.

Use care in all the bottled water schemes. Instead, change the filter in your recent fridge on a routine schedule. Look at its list of impurities removed. Then, ask your fave water supplier what's removed from their over-priced water. Remember, filters don't remove minerals.

Shop Aldi, same parentage as the pricier Trader-Joes for some stuff in minimal packaging and some organic.

Consider:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/bu...anted=all&_r=0

If a senior, dine at Golden Corral weekdays 2-4 PM for $7.49 including beverage. Get there on Fridays around 3;30 PM when all the grilled seafood is set out. You will save using plastic that day, for sure.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,521,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh Saab View Post
I hate the sight of the refuse we generate - mostly plastic packaging for food and water.

Which food brands should I switch to for ecologically friendly packaging, preferably glass or recycled paper? We mostly consume yogurt, organic milk, ketchup, mustard ....
I'm trying to figure out how yogurt, organic milk, ketchup and mustard could possibly go together to create a staple.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:56 PM

18,566 posts, read 15,668,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh Saab View Post

Move close to work. It's probably the #1 thing you can do, along with downsizing your home (but avoid anything drafty or poorly insulated).

Other stuff is negligible in comparison generally and means very little. It's the big things, not the little ones like plastics, that make the biggest difference to the environment.

If anything else, try to eat less meat, especially beef. Cows produce a lot of methane which is a greenhouse gas.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Get pre-packaged portion-size condiments at fast food places.
No, sorry. This is the worst possible advice. Portion sized condiments use more packaging materials per ounce than nearly any other consumer item. They are possibly the most ecologically wasteful item available.

In general the best practice is to go with bulk items in the largest size available that you can use without the contents spoiling. Since mustard and ketchup have extremely long shelf lives, you can buy really large containers. For yogurt, i never buy single serve containers... they are very wasteful... but stick with the largest jars or tubs I can find, usually quarts.

Quote:
Shop Aldi, same parentage as the pricier Trader-Joes for some stuff in minimal packaging and some organic.
Sorry, Aldi is a great store, but this (same parentage) is a common bit of misinformation. A German company called Aldi Nord owns the Trader Joe's chain in the US. A different company called Aldi Sud owns the Aldi stores in the US. They are operated by brothers, and used to be one family business, but they have been separate companies since 1960.

Quote:
If a senior, dine at Golden Corral weekdays 2-4 PM for $7.49 including beverage. Get there on Fridays around 3;30 PM when all the grilled seafood is set out. You will save using plastic that day, for sure.
I'm unclear how you think this is supposed to reduce your ecological footprint? I buy fresh fish at the market when I shop, grill it myself, and not only save money bur also the gas to drive to a restaurant, and I can eat whenever I want to. .

Last edited by OpenD; 08-22-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,521,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Move close to work. It's probably the #1 thing you can do, along with downsizing your home (but avoid anything drafty or poorly insulated).

Other stuff is negligible in comparison generally and means very little. It's the big things, not the little ones like plastics, that make the biggest difference to the environment.

If anything else, try to eat less meat, especially beef. Cows produce a lot of methane which is a greenhouse gas.
However, if you're eating grass-fed, grass-finished beef then any bio emissions from the cow are actually zero-sum. By way of illustration, when a cow eats grass its tissues sequester some portion of the carbon in that grass, most of it actually stays in the fecal fiber where it will be broken down by insects, microbes and sarcoptic fungi, but some of it will escape into the atmosphere in the form of methane. Meanwhile, the grass the cow is eating is fixing more carbon from the air as it regenerates the mass lost to the cow. No carbon is generated in this process. Of course, there IS a carbon signature associated with the transport of grains and fermented feeds often used to finish beef, but any carbon associated with livestock agriculture would be easily reabsorbed by biomass if we were able to do away with the emissions associated with widespread ICE transportation.

Catch and eat more wild fish and wild game.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,427,828 times
There are two different issues here, but I'm going to focus on your concern over plastic. If you really want to cut down on your packaging waste, find a store that sells unpackaged foods, and bring your own reusable bags & containers. If you want to see an example of what this looks like, click on my profile, and you'll see a photo of a typical weekly grocery shop for my family. We shop at Whole Foods, Sprouts, & Vitamin Cottage.

As for mustard, many natural foods stores sell spices in bulk. Mustard seeds are easy to find. Lots of recipes can be found on the internet, but my favorite home-made mustard recipe is very simple. Soak brown and yellow mustard seeds in a solution of apple cider vinegar and water overnight. Blend to your desired consistency using an immersion blender and store in the fridge.

Our milk is delivered by a local dairy, and we return the bottles, which are cleaned and refilled. I make my own yogurt, so only I occasionally have to buy a container for starting a new batch. I return the yogurt packaging to the Gimme 5 recycling container at my Whole Foods. As for water, we just fill a glass straight from the tap. On the go, we used metal canteens.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-22-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,353,292 times
As I live rural with a well and septic. Before I bought the house I decided to use only eco-friendly laundry, dish, hand, body wash, shampoo, and water conditioning salt. I also recycle plastic, aluminum, and paper. I drive less than 3000 miles a year. I pay bills locally or online. I buy large, divide and freeze. I get paper sacks instead of plastic. I replaced a LOT of drafty old windows, reinsulated the attic and reduced my utility bill over $200 per month. I use CFL though out the house. I don't feel guilty if I forget to turn it off. I replaced all the mechanical and electrical, too.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Use care in all the bottled water schemes. Instead, change the filter in your recent fridge on a routine schedule. Look at its list of impurities removed. Then, ask your fave water supplier what's removed from their over-priced water. Remember, filters don't remove minerals.

Consider:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Stand educated on 2 counts and elated on 1 (visited Aldi/ dipped into some organic/ happy to toss away all the coupons)

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our milk is delivered by a local dairy, and we return the bottles, which are cleaned and refilled. I make my own yogurt, so only I occasionally have to buy a container for starting a new batch. I return the yogurt packaging to the Gimme 5 recycling container at my Whole Foods. As for water, we just fill a glass straight from the tap. On the go, we used metal canteens.
Would be great to bring back the glass bottle to the porch
Which milk service is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living