Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Is it? I understand it has been deployed on at least one big solar farm in the California desert. And there's something similar being used in Kona, Hawai'i.

But the argument that because something hasn't been done yet it's not likely ever to be done ignores the fact that history is full of technical advances that hovered on the brink for years, until suddenly something clicked somewhere. Maybe some other development was needed first. Maybe the right opportunity needed to present itself, or the right sponsor. There are many different factors that can cause a critical breakthrough to occur.

In this case, I think the need for large scale energy storage to solve the intermittancy issue with renewable energy sources has created the kind of urgency that brings a lot of attention to bear. That may enough to push this technology past the tipping point. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
Intermittancy is way overblown as a problem. The best solution for it is direct load control not batteries.

The argument that because something hasn't been done means that it is likely to happen this time ignores rational thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The argument that because something hasn't been done means that it is likely to happen this time ignores rational thought.
I never said that, and don't think it. But saying "If it were that easy, it would have already been done," is irrational too. Failures in the past don't determine the future.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I never said that, and don't think it. But saying "If it were that easy, it would have already been done," is irrational too. Failures in the past don't determine the future.
If you study Bayesian Statistics it's call a prior. It's not just rational it's quantifiable.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If you study Bayesian Statistics it's call a prior. It's not just rational it's quantifiable.
Sorry, I don't regard Beyesian Statistics as a reliable way to predict technological breakthroughs, because there are so often random elements involved which are only quantifiable in retrospect.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Intermittancy is way overblown as a problem. The best solution for it is direct load control not batteries.
That's opinion, not fact, and it is at odds with most current thinking. When a cloud passes in front of a solar bank, what you want is a fast reacting storage device to pick up the dip in output. Or if you have no wind one night. Both SolarCity and GM, as well as others, already have LiON battery solutions on the market, but for scaling up to larger applications the liquid metal or "dirt" batteries seem more appropriate.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM

It is an observation based on 35 years of engineering work. Can I also introduce you to "spinning reserve" which along wirh DLC covers intermitancy.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM

But spinning reserve is fossil fuel technology, except for hydro power, and the object of the exercise is to eliminate fossil fuel use completely.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
But spinning reserve is fossil fuel technology, except for hydro power, and the object of the exercise is to eliminate fossil fuel use completely.
A complete strawman argument.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't regard Beyesian Statistics as a reliable way to predict technological breakthroughs, because there are so often random elements involved which are only quantifiable in retrospect.
That settles it. YOU don't regard Beyesian Statistics [sic] as reliable.

I wonder what we use statistics for if not to help with random stochastic events.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
A complete strawman argument.
Not in any way. It absolutely is the ultimate goal of developing renewable energy sources to someday be able to shut down all fossil fuel generation and leave the remaining coal, oil, and gas in the ground.

Quote:
That settles it. YOU don't regard Beyesian Statistics [sic] as reliable. I wonder what we use statistics for if not to help with random stochastic events.
For ordinary random stochastic events, like analysing when an icecicle is likely to melt enough to fall from the edge of the porch roof, hey, knock yourself out with that stuff.

but the truly serendipitous stuff, like the delivery guy getting the wrong address and coming up on the porch and knocking that icecicle off prematurely... sorry, no.

And that kind of serendipity, that sort of unpredictability or randomness in the emergence of true breakthroughs sometimes just smashes through that sappy saying, "If it were that easy, it would have already been done."

Matter of fact, we've even seen significant cases in which the elusive solution turned out to have been much simpler than anyone suspected, which is why it took so long to find the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living