Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:57 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,139,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Maybe this scene sounds familiar: It's Thanksgiving, you're sitting and watching the football game, and you want a beer. So what do you do? If you're like many Americans, you won't go over to the kitchen fridge, which is now crammed with leftovers. Rather, you'll trek down to the basement or out to the garage to the second refrigerator (aka, the "beer fridge").

Why it’s not okay to have a second refrigerator - The Washington Post
Consider the source of the article. A once-trusted newspaper that has devolved over the past few decades into a mouthpiece for the left and their pet causes.
I love having a second refridge for my ales and extra frozen food storage. It's no ones business but mine. In fact after reading this, I may just get a small refridge for my shop just to be obstinate!
What's next; busybodies telling us that we have too many guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 PM

806 posts, read 1,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Consider the source of the article. A once-trusted newspaper that has devolved over the past few decades into a mouthpiece for the left and their pet causes.
I love having a second refridge for my ales and extra frozen food storage. It's no ones business but mine. In fact after reading this, I may just get a small refridge for my shop just to be obstinate!
What's next; busybodies telling us that we have too many guns?
Definitely. Hey, Cyber Monday is tomorrow, which is a great chance to get a couple fridges online. I'm sure there will be some great deals...I'll definitely check it out.

On a side note, I've got a lot of Christmas lights up on my property right now...I mean it looks like Clark Griswold's house around here, lol. I'm sure the WP wouldn't like it because it's really racking up the power bill and using a lot of electricity. Makes me want to go on another Christmas light shopping spree tomorrow! I might do that after I eat way too many calories and sugars, and keep my house at a temp above the WaPo-approved level. I'll make sure to shop using my gas-guzzling SUV too, of course

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM

102,272 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Few people have 2 fridges. This is a non-issue.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,495,348 times
People seem to be getting more and more concerned with the energy used by the things in our homes that use the least energy.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,789,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know that this is true about few having 2 fridges.....

My dad, who lives alone, has 2 fridges.

Both of my BILs have 3 fridges....one in the kitchen, one in the garage, and one in the basement.
My in-laws have 2 fridges.

My sons who live in apartments all share a main fridge in the kitchen PLUS each apartment-mate has a smaller fridge in their rooms.

I live alone, and I have the main fridge, plus beverage cooler, plus chest freezer.

I do agree it is a non-issue.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,978,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
People seem to be getting more and more concerned with the energy used by the things in our homes that use the least energy.
That is fine and many people do concern themselves with lowering costs, not using less energy. Those with solar on their roof aren't really worried about lowering their energy use because their focus is money instead. Sure, some people put solar on their roof top to make a statement but lets be honest, if utility electric were sold at much lower rates far fewer people would be opting for rooftop solar.

Concern is one thing, control is quite another.

The mechanism at work in the survey and article is apparent once you stop taking things at face value, it is designed to cast a bad light on the use of a 2nd fridge as if that is some large problem that needs to be addressed.

It is not.

The people who have a 2nd fridge might not need to drive so often to get groceries or whatever they store in those fridges. It doesn't take a large reduction in trips by car to offset the extra electrical energy needed to run that 2nd fridge. How about the people that use a 2nd fridge to store items that need cooling and are used for hobbies and so on? That seems to escape those who think a 2nd fridge isn't needed, necessary or an energy waster.

There is a segment of society that believes humans are the scourge of the earth and should be reduced to the barest of functions to save the earth. They aren't different from those that incessantly pound the message that as a society we have to spend any amount of money (so long as it isn't theirs) to put the blinders on and push technologies that are very inefficient instead of going after truly sustainable and more practical energy solutions like fusion and explore yet to be fully developed alternatives to some mix of solutions that operate in the lower efficiency band of energy harvest and distribution.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,503,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
They aren't different from those that incessantly pound the message that as a society we have to spend any amount of money (so long as it isn't theirs) to put the blinders on and push technologies that are very inefficient instead of going after truly sustainable and more practical energy solutions like fusion and explore yet to be fully developed alternatives to some mix of solutions that operate in the lower efficiency band of energy harvest and distribution.
Totally misses the point, of course, that reducing carbon pollution needs to be a top priority for everyone if we are to avoid causing permanent damage to the ecosphere.

I'm all for fusion energy IF we can master it, which of course, nobody has done yet. It sure seems like it's close, with Lockheed-Martin announcing they'll have a working model on the market in 10 years, but that's not guaranteed and it'd nothing anyone can count on. They're basing their predictions on theoretical calculations that they think indicate it's possible. Maybe they will be right, maybe they won't, but in the meantime we can't just wait around to find out.

At this point we have only three sources of energy that are truly renewable and clean of carbon pollution... the sun, both directly and indirectly through wind and hydro power; the moon's gravity, expressed as tidal power; and heat from the core of the earth, as geothermal power; with a few additional variants, such as hydrothermal. But the good news is that the potential of these energy sources vastly exceeds our current energy needs, and even those projected into the far distant future... a future which looks extremely bleak for mankind unless we can avoid wrecking the ecology with pollution from fossil fuels. Nuclear energy is at best an interim solution, because it is not a renewable source, so it will run out in time, and it has horrendous pollution and disaster potential.

And the costs of harvesting renewable energy keep dropping while the efficiencies keep rising, so it would be foolish to drag our heels in implementing a sure thing because of the someday hope that someday something better might be just around the corner, someday. Unless and until fusion power becomes practical... and remember, it's still just theoretical at the moment... we have to proceed on the basis of what we've got available for sure now, today, that isn't out to kill us. And that's none other than renewable energy.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-01-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 05:22 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,875,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We have two, and it's still a non-issue.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,884,611 times
The freezer in my second fridge (in the basement) is crammed, as is the one on the main level.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM

415 posts, read 766,356 times
glad the author didn't stop here'' I have 2 fridges and a small deep freezer... but thats nothing compared to my Hot tub that has 2 - 6hp motors and a Heater, It's breaker is a 2 pole 60 amp, the electric meter spins like a skill saw when that tub is running full tilt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living