Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,713,536 times

Advertisements

My fridge is at least 25 to 30 years old and going strong. It's a GE brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,989,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Totally misses the point, of course, that reducing carbon pollution needs to be a top priority for everyone if we are to avoid causing permanent damage to the ecosphere.

I'm all for fusion energy IF we can master it, which of course, nobody has done yet. It sure seems like it's close, with Lockheed-Martin announcing they'll have a working model on the market in 10 years, but that's not guaranteed and it'd nothing anyone can count on. They're basing their predictions on theoretical calculations that they think indicate it's possible. Maybe they will be right, maybe they won't, but in the meantime we can't just wait around to find out.

At this point we have only three sources of energy that are truly renewable and clean of carbon pollution... the sun, both directly and indirectly through wind and hydro power; the moon's gravity, expressed as tidal power; and heat from the core of the earth, as geothermal power; with a few additional variants, such as hydrothermal. But the good news is that the potential of these energy sources vastly exceeds our current energy needs, and even those projected into the far distant future... a future which looks extremely bleak for mankind unless we can avoid wrecking the ecology with pollution from fossil fuels. Nuclear energy is at best an interim solution, because it is not a renewable source, so it will run out in time, and it has horrendous pollution and disaster potential.

And the costs of harvesting renewable energy keep dropping while the efficiencies keep rising, so it would be foolish to drag our heels in implementing a sure thing because of the someday hope that someday something better might be just around the corner, someday. Unless and until fusion power becomes practical... and remember, it's still just theoretical at the moment... we have to proceed on the basis of what we've got available for sure now, today, that isn't out to kill us. And that's none other than renewable energy.
No, you missed the point. What the heck are you talking about? This thread is about 2nd fridges. Stay relevant. Your post was off topic.

Everyone went from talking about 2nd fridges and there you go on about fusion power.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 12-02-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,801,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
No, you missed the point. What the heck are you talking about? This thread is about 2nd fridges. Stay relevant. Your post was off topic.

Everyone went from talking about 2nd fridges and there you go on about fusion power.
It's not your job to determine what's on topic; it's the moderator's. But YOU are clearly creating a meta discussion with your constant reminders that people stay on topic.

You are clearly trying to control discussion of energy in your favor through obfuscation. Cut it out or I'll report you.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,232,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Few people have 2 fridges. This is a non-issue.
A lot of people around here have two fridges; or one fridge and one freezer.

It's really a non-issue unless you're careless about your power sources as well. I only have one fridge, but I could easily grab a second one with a fairly good chance of it being covered by what my solar panels generate.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,922,375 times
Given your time period
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Maybe this scene sounds familiar: It's Thanksgiving, you're sitting and watching the football game, and you want a beer. So what do you do? If you're like many Americans, you won't go over to the kitchen fridge, which is now crammed with leftovers. Rather, you'll trek down to the basement or out to the garage to the second refrigerator (aka, the "beer fridge").

Why it’s not okay to have a second refrigerator - The Washington Post

Given the fact it's Thanksgiving and a WP article I say the point is moot. Most of us in the area keep our beverages out in the garage to keep them cold this time of year. We put leftovers out there as well. I have a Florida room and use that. I don't know of many who would accuse the WP of having any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living