Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,199,514 times

Advertisements

heck id'e buy an RV over a tiny home atleast you can move that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:55 AM

685 posts, read 724,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
heck id'e buy an RV over a tiny home atleast you can move that.
Or, buy a tiny house on wheels. Someone in Asheville is still researching how to set up a small community. Her latest idea is tiny houses and she found acreage where plumbing, water, and sewers could be added. How it would work, I don't know yet.

All I know is I want to get out of our three-story house and sooner rather than later. It's too much work and we have to do it. I think it's a great idea. We're finally looking at smaller as better. It's about time! My biggest concern is the cold seeping through as we'd use it year round.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,378,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Or, buy a tiny house on wheels. Someone in Asheville is still researching how to set up a small community. Her latest idea is tiny houses and she found acreage where plumbing, water, and sewers could be added. How it would work, I don't know yet.

All I know is I want to get out of our three-story house and sooner rather than later. It's too much work and we have to do it. I think it's a great idea. We're finally looking at smaller as better. It's about time! My biggest concern is the cold seeping through as we'd use it year round.

you could set up like a condo- common areas could be a community center, have a swimming pool, gym,,, a large kitchen/dining room for special events

ultimately, it would probably resemble a trailor park but with tiny houses,,,,you'd pay a lot fee either monthly or yearly

Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,335,151 times
Mobile Tiny homes are glorified travel trailers and park models. I also doubt their long term road worthiness, not to mention the dismal ground clearance on the trailers they build them on. Good luck getting it to any sort of cool boondocking spot. They can be nice looking no doubt, but if you don't own your own land and land without codes or zoning against it at that, you are going to be staying in a trailer park or rv park campground situation. Just a different type of rental situation, not true self reliance.

I'm all for downsizing but it can be done much greener and better on your own piece of land that you own. Until there are tiny home parks that don't resemble glorified trailer parks I am not a believer. Much better to buy an old travel trailer and rehab it if you are going that route IMO and call it what it is.

If you have to stay in a campground, trailer, rv park and pay lot rent you are not being very self sufficient. If you own your own land, why make it mobile? Much better to build something cob, strawbale, earthbag or some other super insulated structure.

If your stuck on the mobile idea, it would be way cooler to gut and rehab an old diesel school bus and covert it to run on veggie oil. Now at that would be cool.

Don't get my wrong, I like the tiny house idea and at least it's better than building giant McMansions. However I have personally travelled all over the country pulling a 5th wheel trailer and the biggest problem was where am I going to park this thing?
Much better to build a permanent tiny home.
Just my $.02.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,293,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

Well, I've been watching those documentaries again, mainly on organizing and downsizing, and I've again become interested in saving up and buying land in a rural area, moving a small trailer, cabin, or shed to the area, decorating it to my liking, hooking up plumbing and electricity (preferably off-grid solar), living rent-free, and saving most of what I make.

I'm having a little trouble implementing this idea, though. For one thing, unrestricted land in this area is hard to find, and the cost of commuting back and forth may make up for any savings I gain from living rent-free. I kind of want some help brainstorming. Off-grid living fascinates me, and I really think it is my lifestyle of choice because it is very doable.
Buy and older RV and lease a spot of ground where there is an old home spot on a farm. You can be there farm watcher and live there as well. Make it a Win/Win situation for both of you. There are some very nice RV's for $2k that have a bad engine etc that are good looking and have a fantastic interior. Spend the money to buy a carport structure to keep it under. You will be cooler and your roof will never leak or get bad because of the protection from the sun and it will save you utility money as well.

Like this or others. Metal RV Carports | RV Shelters | Alan's Factory Outlet

Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM

17,687 posts, read 17,915,382 times
OK, 2002 I wanted to get out of apartment living. Cash was low and so I bought a used (repo 4 years old) mobile home. I was single and decided I was going to live the rest of my life alone. The home's exterior dimension is 14 feet by 48 feet. It has a large open kitchen with a snack bar separating the kitchen from the living area. Go down the hall and to the left is a spare bedroom (8 feet by 8 feet), bathroom (5 feet by 8 feet), and master bedroom (11 feet by 12 feet). In the hall outside the master bedroom is the place for the clothes washer/dryer. The home is all electric with central air and has no shade from the sun and no protection from the north wind in winter. Within 2 years of buying the home, I met the woman who would become my wife. Both she and I are small and we still live in this home. People who see our home assume it's only 4 to 5 years old because we maintain our home. When I lived here alone, my lowest electric bill was $35 and my highest was $100. My wife has spinal problems and stays home all the time now. Much of her time is spent on an electric heating pad so she keeps the thermostat 69 degrees when in heat and 73 when on AC. Our highest bill was around $120. This home has been through several hurricanes. After those hurricanes all I've had to do was replace lost skirting and replace roofing lost in the winds.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Here's my home. Does it look like a home built in 1998?
Attached Thumbnails
Considering a tiny house for self-sufficientcy and economic independence...-image.jpg  

Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,601,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Buy and older RV and lease a spot of ground where there is an old home spot on a farm. You can be there farm watcher and live there as well. Make it a Win/Win situation for both of you. There are some very nice RV's for $2k that have a bad engine etc that are good looking and have a fantastic interior. Spend the money to buy a carport structure to keep it under. You will be cooler and your roof will never leak or get bad because of the protection from the sun and it will save you utility money as well.

Like this or others. Metal RV Carports | RV Shelters | Alan's Factory Outlet
I've already made a deal with a friend; I think I'm going to move back there during the summer. It's not exactly rent-free, but it is cheap. I just wonder a little about storm safety. We have some bad thunderstorms sometimes, and there's always the threat of hurricanes.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Here's my home. Does it look like a home built in 1998?
I have no idea how it uploaded the photo upside down?!

Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,293,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've already made a deal with a friend; I think I'm going to move back there during the summer. It's not exactly rent-free, but it is cheap. I just wonder a little about storm safety. We have some bad thunderstorms sometimes, and there's always the threat of hurricanes.
Hurricane: Leave the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living