Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,030,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I agree with you on this Mack Knife... And species tend to come and go (become extinct) seemed to be the natural order of things BEFORE mankind was around. Some due to evolution, some due to failing to evolve, and others because another species eradicated them.
We want to be careful not to cause one of those extinction events for humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,998,035 times
Quote:
I agree with you on this Mack Knife... And species tend to come and go (become extinct) seemed to be the natural order of things BEFORE mankind was around. Some due to evolution, some due to failing to evolve, and others because another species eradicated them.
Heck yeah.

I really do think about the priorities we have set for ourselves as humans, with entire populations bent on eliminating others. Talk about something staring at us in the mirror. We're not end of the century away from the worst things that could happen, it's much closer.

There is no way we'll affect the planet so much it can't support our species before we figure out a way to dispose of ourselves.

The real shame will be that just before we do away with ourselves, we'll have also figured out a way to manage the effect we have on the environment too. All for nothing.

Maybe the next species will have better luck because I think we're toast, the machine just hasn't popped up the bread yet.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
We want to be careful not to cause one of those extinction events for humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Heck yeah.

I really do think about the priorities we have set for ourselves as humans, with entire populations bent on eliminating others. Talk about something staring at us in the mirror. We're not end of the century away from the worst things that could happen, it's much closer.

There is no way we'll affect the planet so much it can't support our species before we figure out a way to dispose of ourselves.

The real shame will be that just before we do away with ourselves, we'll have also figured out a way to manage the effect we have on the environment too. All for nothing.

Maybe the next species will have better luck because I think we're toast, the machine just hasn't popped up the bread yet.
Unfortunately, I am not in any position to prevent the annihilation of humankind. WHich will most likely happen due to nclear war or a pandemic disease (imho). Way before the melting glaciers get us.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not in any position to prevent the annihilation of humankind. WHich will most likely happen due to nclear war or a pandemic disease (imho). Way before the melting glaciers get us.
We have never been further from a nuclear war since the 1940s. If we destroy the Greenland Ice sheet a lot of people are going to get wet. If we change the tropical belt, that pandemic you are worried about become much more likely.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,239,253 times
Quote:
There has been no fiddling with the temperature data.
There absolutely is because they have too, you have what is called the urban heat island effect and other issues. For example many of these temperature stations may have been created a century ago in the middle of nowhere and now they are in an urban setting, station was moved, trees were cut down, asphalt added... They have to find these anomalies and adjust for that and how or what they are adjusting can have a large affect.

Here is one adjustment that was made, as you can see by the raw data indicated by the blue line there is an obvious issue around the 40's however the adjustment indicated by the red line is clearly inaccurate.

The Smoking Gun At Darwin Zero | Watts Up With That?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 PM

Making adjustments for known and measurable biases in the readings is not what the RW is talking about.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,849 times
Quote:
We have never been further from a nuclear war since the 1940s. If we destroy the Greenland Ice sheet a lot of people are going to get wet. If we change the tropical belt, that pandemic you are worried about become much more likely.
With all the rogue countries and groups trying to get nukes, I will respectfully disagree on that point.

How will I melt or prevent from melting the Greenland ice sheet?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,867,173 times
Without getting too involved in this discussion, there is just one thing I want to know. What's in it for the scientists if they are "fiddling with the data"? Where's the money in that?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM

208 posts, read 331,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Without getting too involved in this discussion, there is just one thing I want to know. What's in it for the scientists if they are "fiddling with the data"? Where's the money in that?
political purposes.
Power is worth more than any currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living