Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Add me to the list of people who think we should return raw milk cheeses to markets, and reduce restrictions on raw milk sales. I would like to better understand why European countries seem to manage the issue without significant problems while the US is unable.
Here's a plan. Require all makers of such cheeses and all vendors of raw milk to purchase a $10 million liability insurance policy and to print a legal notice that such insurance exists. Than insist they post it next to the cash register or in some other prominent place.

Of course, finding an insurance company willing to write a liability insurance policy that would cover someone who sells tainted food might be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM

299 posts, read 263,614 times
Problem is (again I refer to FDA recalls), it isn't just raw milk and its products that get recalled.
With great regularity we see FDA recalls on processed milk, cheese, etc. for listeria.
2015 Recalls, Market Withdrawals & Safety Alerts
Then, products which should not normally be "listeria prone" are also recalled...which makes one think maybe it isn't the milk--it is the cleanliness of cow and container.
Are all food producers willing to purchase a $10 million liability insurance policy? To be honest, that would be the only way to justify making raw milk sellers do such.
And then the majority of the population of the Western world would die of starvation, because most cannot/do not know how to grow and raise their own food.
Voila! You've solved the world's "population crisis."
This is not intended as a "flame" at anyone, but as a bit of irony meant to stimulate thought.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM

685 posts, read 720,379 times
NT and others: Sounds like the same reason farmers going organic who aren't certified don't go the extra mile and get certified. We learn who we can trust and who we cannot. It's too expensive, which is great for ConAgra and other large conglomerates.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
NT and others: Sounds like the same reason farmers going organic who aren't certified don't go the extra mile and get certified. We learn who we can trust and who we cannot. It's too expensive, which is great for ConAgra and other large conglomerates.
You do have a point, and it is a real shame when grants are available so becoming Certified Organic does not cost the farmer a penny.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Add me to the list of people who think we should return raw milk cheeses to markets, and reduce restrictions on raw milk sales. I would like to better understand why European countries seem to manage the issue without significant problems while the US is unable.
People in Europe get sick from raw milk all the time. EFSA: Raw Milk Risks Need to be Better Communicated | Food Safety News

Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Oh, the joys of sweet cream butter from raw milk!! Oh, to experience it again!

I grew up in dairy farm land in Upstate NY.
We also had a ceramic butter churn for decoration in the LR. My mother wanted to know how to churn butter from my g-mother, who said she'd demonstrate if we could get raw milk {homo/pasteurized sold inteh stores won't work for churning butter, althought I had heard if you add something to it, you can approximate churned butter if you care for it}.

SO {this was the late 70s} my mother asked a nearby farmer we "knew" about getting some. SHe said is WAS illegal, BUT if there were milk jugs on a certain back stoop a the barn that were *magically filled and disappeared* and she knew not where it went or what happened it it after the 4 pm milking, there might be some chance of getting some.
So it appeared on our kitchen table after a trip to the barn stoop! 4 gallons of it.

We let the cream rise for some rising cream butter spread, and we made churned butter {took all 5 of us turns at hand churning}.
BOY OH BOY! THAt was the BEST DARNED Sweet cream churned butter I ever done tasted!
OH, how I'd love to have that again! I'd even sit and churn for the hour it took {IIRC}
Yum!
ANd NO, it did NOT make us sick!!!!
Where can I get some raw milk?
You don't need to have raw milk to make butter. All you need is the cream. Where do you think the butter sold in stores come from? Pasteurization does not remove extra cream from milk; separation -- the same process that's done when butter is made "at home" from raw milk only on a larger and more mechanized scale -- is what removes the cream from milk.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,892 times
I don't see how pasteurizing the milk makes it somehow not organic. So something has to be hazardous to your health to be organic/green? I feel like this is more fear of technology than it is a desire to be good to the environment. You can generate the electricity to heat the milk using a green technology.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM

587 posts, read 915,365 times
I purchase raw milk for the taste, not any sort of health benefit. There's no comparison. I would be unhappy if I lived in a state where the sale was prohibited.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM

222 posts, read 238,970 times
My family has been using raw milk for the last 7 years. Simple reasoning: Prefer not to drink cooked sh|t. It's cooked but it's still sh|t.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:02 PM

222 posts, read 238,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Here's a plan. Require all makers of such cheeses and all vendors of raw milk to purchase a $10 million liability insurance policy and to print a legal notice that such insurance exists. Than insist they post it next to the cash register or in some other prominent place.

Of course, finding an insurance company willing to write a liability insurance policy that would cover someone who sells tainted food might be a problem.
No need. We belong to CARE. Our Amish farmers do not need insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living