Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
anecdotally I heard of a family that drank raw milk and they all got an incurable disease. no thanks for me.
I heard a story one time, about a guy that did this thing, and then he did this other thing, and then he died.

I would never want to do that thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 PM

685 posts, read 721,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most of us have never tasted 'real' milk. And that white stuff in the stores is so processed it doesn't even resemble the real thing. Ever wonder why cheeses and other milk products taste so much better in other countries? They are made with milk that isn't processed.

If drinking the stuff was that bad it would have wiped us out hundreds of years ago. And most countries don't process dairy as much as we do and they are still breathing too.
Some of us older folks know what milk used to taste like. There's a huge difference in processed and non-processed foods. I bought a small amount of brie recently. It's from France and not contaminated by America's processing. A few months ago, I made the mistake of asking someone who worked in the cheese dept. of a store. The cheese was from the States. I tried a small bit and returned it to the store - it was garbage.

Ultimately, until a law is passed that prevents us from buying organics and raw foods it is up to us as to what risks we're willing to take to attempt to move away from all the commercially-produced junk. If you don't want to drink raw milk or give it to your kids, that's up to you. If I want to do the same, leave me alone. I'm neither an idiot nor stupid I also don't run around in circles in fear because FEAR is a weapon used really successfully in so many ways in America.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most of us have never tasted 'real' milk. And that white stuff in the stores is so processed it doesn't even resemble the real thing. Ever wonder why cheeses and other milk products taste so much better in other countries? They are made with milk that isn't processed.

If drinking the stuff was that bad it would have wiped us out hundreds of years ago. And most countries don't process dairy as much as we do and they are still breathing too.
What makes you think other countries do not have outbreaks of food borne illnesses? They do.

Outbreak of Salmonella enterica serotype Montevideo infections in F... - PubMed - NCBI

Large outbreak of Salmonella enterica serotype paratyphi B infectio... - PubMed - NCBI

Victoria launches crackdown on sale of 'raw' unpasteurised milk | Australia news | The Guardian

Pasteurization involves heating milk to a specified temperature for a very short time and rapidly cooling it. Hardly "so processed it doesn't resemble the real thing." It's the same milk it was before it was pasteurized. It just has any illness causing bacteria killed.

See how a single cow with an infection in one quadrant of an udder infected milk with Listeria. The cow was not sick.

A case of bovine raw milk contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. - PubMed - NCBI

And how bacteria can potentially colonize milking equipment:

Biofilm in milking equipment on a dairy farm as a potential source ... - PubMed - NCBI

Molecular ecology of Listeria monocytogenes: evidence for a reservo... - PubMed - NCBI

Increased in vitro adherence and on-farm persistence of predominant... - PubMed - NCBI

Cheese? You think that making cheese does not involve a lot of "processing"?

Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM

74 posts, read 98,914 times
Your chances of getting sick from drinking raw milk is about 1 in 6 million. Aren't there lottery odds that are less than this? And you know your odds of winning the lottery!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine809 View Post
Your chances of getting sick from drinking raw milk is about 1 in 6 million. Aren't there lottery odds that are less than this? And you know your odds of winning the lottery!
Where on earth did you get this number from?

I'll give you another number that is based on a study done by the Minnesota Department of Health. They found that 1 out of every 6 people who drinks raw milk gets sick. Oftentimes, it doesn't turn out to be a very serious illness, but the point is that it can be very serious or even fatal.

Kind of like playing Russian Roulette with a six chamber gun.

Raw Milk: 1 in 6 Who Drink It Gets Sick

Old 02-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:

More like 1 in 6.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/817694

Not all episodes of illness get reported and counted, particularly if they do not result in hospitalization.

@ Mark: you beat me to it!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,569 times
I have a herd-share and so each week get a gallon of raw milk. The cows are free range, grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free animals and very very healthy.

I've never got sick from this milk, in fact I was sick all the time before I started getting my milk this way. The milk makes the best butter, ice cream and yoghurt. If for some reason I can't get raw milk I buy organic from a local reliable source.
Wayy too many hormones and chemicals in regular milk to even try it again.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Quote:
People drank raw milk for 1000's of years before pasteurization, etc. It's all about money...
What was the average lifespan 1000's of years ago. It certainly was not where it is today.

I agree with the co-op method of getting raw milk. It shouldn't be available in grocery stores or in restaurants.

If you are an adult and want to drink "raw milk", go for it. Just like I can go to the store, buy a steak and eat it raw if I want.

Personally, I avoid milk. I do occasionally cook with it though.... I think there are far more problems in society other than a couple of people getting together and drinking raw milk.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM

685 posts, read 721,841 times
Default Sweetners may be added to milk, too, and manufacturers will probably not have to label it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I have a herd-share and so each week get a gallon of raw milk. The cows are free range, grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free animals and very very healthy.

I've never got sick from this milk, in fact I was sick all the time before I started getting my milk this way. The milk makes the best butter, ice cream and yoghurt. If for some reason I can't get raw milk I buy organic from a local reliable source.
Wayy too many hormones and chemicals in regular milk to even try it again.
Jan, I'm sure you know this but lets let others know what's going on, too.

snopes.com: Aspartame in Milk

I like the excerpt below. It's from: Artificial Sweeteners in Milk? | The Dr. Oz Show

About a third of the 10,000 have been reviewed by an industry-funded panel; most of the rest have been "self-affirmed" as safe by manufacturers. The reality is that most consumers are flying blind when it comes to what’s in processed foods.

The reference above refers to processed food but it does extend to milk in the article. When I first heard about the possibility of the addition, it was to milk. Processed food is a jumble of junk.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Jan, I'm sure you know this but lets let others know what's going on, too.

snopes.com: Aspartame in Milk

I like the excerpt below. It's from: Artificial Sweeteners in Milk? | The Dr. Oz Show

About a third of the 10,000 have been reviewed by an industry-funded panel; most of the rest have been "self-affirmed" as safe by manufacturers. The reality is that most consumers are flying blind when it comes to what’s in processed foods.

The reference above refers to processed food but it does extend to milk in the article. When I first heard about the possibility of the addition, it was to milk. Processed food is a jumble of junk.
The issue is not adding artificial sweeteners, it is the requirement to label them low or reduced calorie. Any product containing aspartame must be labeled with a warning that it is there for people with PKU.

There will be no reason to add sweeteners to plain milk products. Chocolate flavored milk, possibly. Do not want aspartame? Read the label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living