Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times

Advertisements

http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~grady/POWERFAC.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
If the largest or even a significant portion of your electric bill is for lighting, you are probably not paying attention to how you use it. Leaving LEDs on without regard to conservation is still wasting money, especially since they cost more than other lights. BTW, the energy savings of LEDs over good CFLs is nearly zilch.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs up I'm using LEDs now because they have fewer problems, not because they use less electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
BTW, the energy savings of LEDs over good CFLs is nearly zilch.
Which CFLs would you call good? I tried switching to compact fluorescent lamps, every one I tried sucked. Flickering, long warmup time, short service life, poor dimming.

The LED makers claim LED lamps consume half the watts-per-lumen as CFL, have much less waste heat, and have a service life at least 5x that of a CFL. When a big chunk of your power usage goes to air conditioning, the fewer BTUs contributed by lighting, the better.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
If the largest or even a significant portion of your electric bill is for lighting, you are probably not paying attention to how you use it. Leaving LEDs on without regard to conservation is still wasting money, especially since they cost more than other lights. BTW, the energy savings of LEDs over good CFLs is nearly zilch.
Not actually true. The actual energy savings of an LED vs any CFL, will always be greater, in terms of KWH's used to power both, per year. And the more that are used, the greater the savings.

Now, do they cost more per bulb than a CFL? Yes.

However, I'll take an LED over a CFL, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. They don't flicker, are dimmable, turn on instantly, aren't prone to temperature or humidity extremes, have a longer life span (A lot longer) don't get hot, aren't as prone to breakage, and don't contain any mercury.

With regards to the ROI, CFL vs LED, I liken them (LED's) to the days when TI first introduced the hand held calculator or Motorola and the cellular phone. Just in the last 2 years, the price on them has come down dramatically. The price point where they are at today, compared to when they first debuted, is quite a bit different.

As time goes by, and sales continue to grow, along with the technology, the price point will continue to drop, and the gap in ROI, with regards to CFL's vs LED's savings, will only continue to grow.

There are rooms where I still like incandescent lighting, regardless of the Green Machine movement and savings. I now use these there, and like them quite well. Bright Lights, Inc. - Products

Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I really must thank you for that link. Many answers in that.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Do you know about whole factories with tiny lighting bills, and all they'd done was "play" with the fluorescent lighting?

It was the volt-amps that weren't measured. Some power can't be measured by the meters.

I know my help is not wanted, which was all I was intending to give.

Green Living, another place not worth posting.
That is.the silliest post I have ever read. You are correct. Your "help" isn't needed.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Here's the problem, the sellers are stating lumens per watt, but it then turns out that the wattage is far lower than stated.

Does that app tell you the frequency of the light? Some of those lumens on the old bulb, may be at frequencies you don't see, or need.
Bulbs are rated in lumen.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
I just got my next delivery of ten bulbs. That cost me all of 99 pence.

3W turns out to be 2W, but that's not too bad. 12VA, and a power factor of 0.20.

I just love getting all this free electricity. Yippee.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Revel in that belief.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
I just got my next delivery of ten bulbs. That cost me all of 99 pence.

3W turns out to be 2W, but that's not too bad. 12VA, and a power factor of 0.20.

I just love getting all this free electricity. Yippee.
Those LEDS come with a check to pay for the electricity they use?

Can you please post your purchasing source, I bet a lot of people would really like to partake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living