Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,410,771 times

Advertisements

My hotel showers tend to run longer than home. At home I know exactly where to turn the water knob to get my preferred temp so I often turn the water on and off while lathering, shaving, etc...- hotels sometimes take a few mins to figure out what hot and cold are and adjust the temp.

Also - we travel alot - and with my young daughter. Once she was old enough to stand on her own, I brought her in the shower with me since I didn't want her sitting in a hotel tub....

Plus - I find that hotel soap and shampoo dont lather or rinse very well. So more water needed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:41 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,234,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Hotels are all for saving money. I'm sure they are fully on board. All of the hotels I say at encourage you to reuse your bath towel.
If the hotels had to monitor the time in the shower or the water use per room that would be quite an expense . The hotel rates would have to shoot up.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:33 PM

18,566 posts, read 15,669,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I find I just end up showering longer with those low-flow things, it takes longer to get rinsed off.
Same here.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 PM

33,025 posts, read 36,594,034 times
My brother is a hot water hog. When staying in a hotel or motel, he takes more--and longer--showers than necessary.

My son just got a free gym membership through work. He's only interested in using the pool, hot tub and shower.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,428,474 times
I shower every other day, except in high summer, when I do so once a day. Fifteen minutes total, and I turn off the water while I'm shampooing and shaving. My husband does the same. My kids are inconsistent.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
I tend to shower longer at hotels too, taking advantage of the opportunity since the water is included with the room. At home I am far more aware of the cost of water and sewer charges than the wasting of water, since we have no shortage of water here. We only stay at hotels maybe 8-10 times a year, and consider it a bit of a luxury to take longer showers, like having someone make up the beds and change the towels.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Exactly... these government measures are merely tools to control the populace. Notice how they always seem to ignore the big corporations and farmers and target silly stuff like gallons per toilet flush and the like.

If they want people to use less water... simple.. charge more.... we have plenty of water on this planet if the price gets high enough to promote economic incentives to access it (desalination plants for example) ... maybe people will think twice about running lawn watering programs after they just got 4 inches of rain... and just let the lawn dry out like I do.
Well, just the other day I visited San Francisco, a place charged me 1.85 for a glass of water.

Here is how that worked out. I finished my meal, drank the water and walked out, never to return.

Just think, if more people did that, the place would close down, there would be far less water used because they wouldn't be washing dishes nor using it for anything else. The employees wouldn't be there to use the toilets, wash their hands and so on.

The employees, no longer having jobs wouldn't need to drive cars because they had no job to drive to.

See how that is such a win-win?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:49 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,445,094 times
How long I spend depends on who is in there with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living