Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:21 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times

Advertisements

I've heard of several people in Alaska building with papercrete, the trick is to have covered porches around the house, and keeping any snow that blows in cleared before it melts. The biggest mistake I see people doing with papercrete is trying to seal it with plastics, or thinking paint or OPC will keep water out. All exterior walls should be stuccoed with a lime/sand plaster, and colored with natural pigment whitewash. And other than desert environments, the roof should always have plenty of overhang.

Dome homes are cool, but tend to have roof leak issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:52 AM

134 posts, read 195,500 times
I do plan on finishing with some sort of lime blend plaster. and a metal roof with an overhang is also planned. Maybe get a little fancy with a pattern decoration and/or color schemed wash. who knows what i'll feel like when i get to that stage. just that papercrete won't work for me since papercrete doesn't work well in damp/humid conditions, and just about anywhere I'm living in AK is damp, not just melting snow, especially if i go back to Southeast, that's a rain forest.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
If its too wet for papercrete I'd think it would be too wet for earthbags too? I just don't see earthbags working well in a cold environment, maybe I'm wrong. I have a great summer home in the mountains, walls are 2 ft thick limecrete, it stays cool enough that most folks think I have AC. Once temps drop below freezing it just becomes an icebox, you can throw heat into it 24/7 and barely notice a difference, I'm thinking an earthbag home in alaska would be about the same.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 AM

134 posts, read 195,500 times
papercrete has paper in it, which makes it susceptible to mold in damp climates, and also does not do well in places like the bottom of windows and archways. here's a link for that: Earthbag Building: Plastering with Papercrete. otherwise, sand/mix inside poly bags inside plaster blends can hold up to the elements well, especially with a roof overhang the appropriate size. earthbags have thermal mass. they do need insulation to hold heat. this can be accomplished by either adding foam (spray or rigid) to the outer wall before plaster, or by using something like scoria in the bags themselves. i've thought of using the linseed dirt floors with radiant heating in the bedrooms, and wood flooring the rest of the house, but i may end up using wood flooring throughout to save time. i'm also considering using a round shape with a courtyard in the middle for a garden. i've seen some pics where they half bury the house. others have solar panels. what flooring do you have? Tamped Earth Floors is a great link for tamped earth floors, and High Performing Thermal Mass in New Mexico — Larry Speck for a really cool looking house in NM, i can't find my link for the radiant flooring right now, but it's not difficult.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
There is a pretty cool place in southern California that has a variety of earthbag built buildings along with one earthbag built model home. If you are near Victorville/Hesperia, they have a lot of information regarding the r value and such. I think they have internships, too, so that you can learn how to build. If you go on a Saturday, they do a lunch and an interesting talk about the founder.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,962 times
It looks like whpm is the one being schooled. Seems like grandma is wasting time responding to you at all

Old 05-04-2015, 10:29 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
If time is an issue, you may think of yurt, wall tent, shipping container, trailer/rv, or framing out a conventional 12x16 cabin out of 2x6's. Any alternative building method is going to be very labor intensive and take a long time.

Have you considered building a cordwood cabin? If your wood is 100% dry they are pretty user friendly for an owner builder to tackle. I have seen a few up here. Just throwing out ideas, good luck to you.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I was going to suggest a couple of surplus shipping containers set on some sort of foundation and covered with spray on insulation and stuccoed with a cement/lime/sand plaster.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:58 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
Here is a link to a couple from Canada who built an earthbag home and decided it wasn't for them:

https://canadiandirtbags.wordpress.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living