Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,021,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Swing and a miss. Battery is cleaner.
Again, you have to take into account the mining and manufacturing processes that go into that battery.
How "clean and green" are those processes?
What about the disposal of the depleted batteries? will that disposal be "clean and green"?
Yes, using alkaline dry cells in a flashlight is clean, but what about the manufacturing of the cell? what about the millions of them that end up in the landfills across the country?
Can that really be considered "clean and green"?
One must look at the complete picture, from start to finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,023,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Again, you have to take into account the mining and manufacturing processes that go into that battery.
How "clean and green" are those processes?
What about the disposal of the depleted batteries? will that disposal be "clean and green"?
Yes, using alkaline dry cells in a flashlight is clean, but what about the manufacturing of the cell? what about the millions of them that end up in the landfills across the country?
Can that really be considered "clean and green"?
One must look at the complete picture, from start to finish.
All considered. Battery is cleaner.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
All considered. Battery is cleaner.
OK, you say so, it must be true.
Prove it.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OK, you say so, it must be true.
Prove it.
Actually you were the leader with unsubstantiated assertions.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,258,970 times
After read the OP's postulate, I suspected he must be short Tesla or Solar City stock. After I took my skeptical investor hat off, I looked at what he said and considered he might be right. However, the basis for the Tesla battery isn't confined to what the OP has stated. It's not a solution for everyone, nor is it a end all solution that claimed to cure all our of energy needs. Instead it seems like a smart solution for some, expensive and unnecessary for others, and it seems like the right step on the path to energy progress.

I live in Orange County, Ca where we recently decommissioned an old nuclear power plant. We've also converted a number of coal plants into natural gas plants, but we have been hit hard with a increase in energy demand coupled with a sharp decrease in supply. Our electric company (SCE) use to offer a peak vs off-peak pricing for electricity for residence, but have moved to a progressive tiered pricing system based on allotment and demand. I believe electric car owners and businesses still have the option for the peak/off-peak pricing system and the Tesla battery could be economically wise for those users. In addition, the demand on our local grid should flatten as Telsa battery owners could theoretically charge the battery during low demand periods, and run off the 10 kWh of energy during high demand periods (12pm-6pm). This won't lessen the demand of electricity from the utility companies, but it should lessen the stress on our grid. However, one unintended consequence of the Tesla battery might be higher energy rates as the utility companies protect their revenue stream.

As for which is greener, that's a tough call. I know high tech batteries require rare earth materials, but I'm unclear just how non-green they are if we can efficiently recycle or renew them in the future.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Given the success of his other businesses I doubt that anything this man creates is a "fool's errand." Reasonably priced low maintenance electrical energy storage has always been a major cost factor in PV systems. This may actually make PV systems economically feasible in places with enough sunlight.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Given the success of his other businesses I doubt that anything this man creates is a "fool's errand." Reasonably priced low maintenance electrical energy storage has always been a major cost factor in PV systems. This may actually make PV systems economically feasible in places with enough sunlight.
it does, but not really in the lower 48 of the States where the grid is almost universally available.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,283,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It's silly to think that Elon Musk does anything without the big picture in mind. Batteries are really doing well in Prius vehicles and in the Tesla vehicles. The investment and the knowledge is exploding, Elon Musk is investing heavily because he sees the very exciting growth potential for battery chemistry and the ability of harnessing your own energy from the SUN!

With storage, solar energy will become the most economical source of energy on the planet. (It is the chief source of energy on this planet anyway, we just needed a way to directly access it!)

Once again, resources are made accessible to more people by technology! (And technology gets cheaper with time, fuels you have to mine do not.............)

Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM

208 posts, read 331,651 times
Electric Vehicle Sales to Fall Short of Obama's Goal
Electric Car Growth Projections
Without government incentives, this would be an even bigger fail.
http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/13/re...-to-take-hold/

Old 06-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Actually you were the leader with unsubstantiated assertions.
Perhaps you should go back and re-read what I posted. I think you will find I made no "assertions", I asked QUESTIONS!
Edit: In fact, this is from my FIRST post in this thread: "I don't know, though. Perhaps there are no harmful chemicals, no petroleum, no exotic metals, etc. in those batteries or anything associated with them.
I doubt it, but it is possible, I guess..."

Instead of answering the QUESTIONS, you made firm statements: "All considered. Battery is cleaner."
To which I asked: "Prove it."
So, can you prove that the battery is, from start to finish (raw materials to finished product to recycling), "cleaner and greener"? If you can, please do so.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living