Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,614,679 times

Advertisements

Seems like 2007 data are too old to judge GMO impact on poison use. There have been some new exciting developments since 2007, like pesticide resistant weeds and Bt resistant bugs, which leads to a spike in pesticide use, more glyphosates + increased use of older pesticides to preempt Bt resistant bugs. The promise of GMOs yet to be fulfilled.
Pesticide use ramping up as GMO crop technology backfires: study | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,240,586 times
I can't believe ANOTHER Monsanto conspiracy thread is in progress with the same old worn-out conspiracy blatherings...

The nodding heads seem to overlook how many people throughout the world have been saved from starvation due to genetically engineered crops...

And NFN but where are the statistics to prove with accredited scientific facts the millions worldwide over the past few decades that have been killed because of this Monsanto genetically engineered crop conspiracy?

Debunking “10 scientific studies proving GMOs can be harmful to human health” | The Logic of Science

10 studies proving GMOs are harmful? Not if science matters | Genetic Literacy Project

Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

The nodding heads seem to overlook how many people throughout the world have been saved from starvation due to genetically engineered crops...
How many?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 PM

37,547 posts, read 61,602,962 times
Quote:
... The nodding heads seem to overlook how many people throughout the world have been saved from starvation due to genetically engineered crops...
Outside of fantasy that has not happened yet.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How many?
I take it with your response only questioning something I posted you believe everything posted by the anti people here since Post #1. Gotcha...

Does it really make a difference what resources I post to you or the other anti-GMO people here?

Ya'll are convinced Monsanto is evil so be it. I just find it absolutely hilarious one of these anti-GMO anti-Monsanto threads is started up about once a month and sure as heck guaranteed every single time the same bobbing heads state the same ancient conspiracy rhetoric...

It's funny the bobbing heads never question anything posted here that is anti-GMO nor do they ever investigate or question the sources of these anti-Monsanto/GMO conspiracy articles. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a newspaper, one stick figure says to the other:

"Did you fact check everything before posting it?"

The other stick figures responds:

"I don't need to. It agrees with my preconceived views and biases so it must be true!"

Anything that portrays Monsanto or GMO products in a positive light is immediately slammed by the anti crowd with some of the most preposterous unprovable claims that are only upstaged by the claims of aliens living amongst us...

Last edited by plwhit; 09-30-2015 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I take it with your response only questioning something I posted you believe everything posted by the anti people here since Post #1. Gotcha...

Does it really make a difference what resources I post to you or the other anti-GMO people here?

Ya'll are convinced Monsanto is evil so be it. I just find it absolutely hilarious one of these anti-GMO anti-Monsanto threads is started up about once a month and sure as heck guaranteed every single time the same bobbing heads state the same ancient conspiracy rhetoric...

It's funny the bobbing heads never question anything posted here that is anti-GMO nor do they ever investigate or question the sources of these anti-Monsanto/GMO conspiracy articles. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a newspaper, one stick figure says to the other:

"Did you fact check everything before posting it?"

The other stick figures responds:

"I don't need to. It agrees with my preconceived views and biases so it must be true!"

Anything that portrays Monsanto or GMO products in a positive light is immediately slammed by the anti crowd with some of the most preposterous unprovable claims that are only upstaged by the claims of aliens living amongst us...
How many people have GMO saved? You've made a stupid claim, you must have some numerical bounds for your imagination. Do you? I was really careful to use only mainstream sources like forbes, reuters, scientific American, so please dont use green conspiracy crutch.

Speaking economics, GMOs and paraphenalia are just industrial inputs that add to the production costs. Patenting seeds most certainly increase hunger in the 3rd world desperate enough to allow GMOs, since 3rd world farmers must share their fortunes with the 1st world corporations instead of just saving the seeds as they did for millenia before Monsanto entered the scene. Higher production costs necessarily increase size of the farms, effectively dispossesing some farmers, soon to be hungry slum dwellers, so the surviving farms could pay royalties to Monsanto etc.. Entire rural economies are devastated, people deprived of their rural subsistence means to be dumped into urban slums having no use for their labor. GMOs increase hunger, it is not a conspiracy, it is economics 101 that you never took.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM

37,547 posts, read 61,602,962 times
Rodale has done some interesting studies comparing the crop-yield increases. Organic methods have been showing steady increase in crop-yield, while conventional practices have also been showing increases in yield, and GM crops have been increasing crop yields. It seems that everyone has been producing gradually higher yields.

The differences in the rate of increases is interesting.

When compared to how much petroleum products are consumed in the process of producing each ton of crop yield that is when the numbers really break-out.

But of course you all know this.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
How many people have GMO saved? You've made a stupid claim, you must have some numerical bounds for your imagination. Do you? I was really careful to use only mainstream sources like forbes, reuters, scientific American, so please dont use green conspiracy crutch.

Speaking economics, GMOs and paraphenalia are just industrial inputs that add to the production costs. Patenting seeds most certainly increase hunger in the 3rd world desperate enough to allow GMOs, since 3rd world farmers must share their fortunes with the 1st world corporations instead of just saving the seeds as they did for millenia before Monsanto entered the scene. Higher production costs necessarily increase size of the farms, effectively dispossesing some farmers, soon to be hungry slum dwellers, so the surviving farms could pay royalties to Monsanto etc.. Entire rural economies are devastated, people deprived of their rural subsistence means to be dumped into urban slums having no use for their labor. GMOs increase hunger, it is not a conspiracy, it is economics 101 that you never took.
How many people have GMO devestated? You've made a stupid claim, you must have some numerical bounds for your imagination. Do you? I was really careful to use only mainstream anti-GMO sources like forbes, reuters, scientific American, so please dont use green conspiracy crutch.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 AM

78,739 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
As a math guy, you tell me what it means when the sum of A+ B+C+D+....Z remains flat, while the magnitute of B is on steady rise? From a non math guy prospective, the experts' claim that GMOs decrease poison usage is simply false, that is the only reasonable solution of that simple math equation.

Impact of GMOs on herbicide usage was studied.

In fact, according to the USDA and EPA data used in the report, the quick adoption of genetically engineered crops by farmers has increased herbicide use over the past 9 years in the U.S
Forbes Welcome
That article (which I'd found and read before my last post) is the same sleight of hand though and the writer is essentially little more than an op-ed writer.

By focusing solely on one type and not total herbicide\insecticide etc. use....I cannot take the argument seriously.

I'm not decided on the topic, I'm just not seeing any good logical evidence.

As for your first sentence, you are assuming that everything else remained flat while B increased.

I agree B increased.

Now show me how the rest held steady? Support your assumption.

I've already posted one graph showing a total decrease.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
How many people have GMO devestated? You've made a stupid claim, you must have some numerical bounds for your imagination. Do you? I was really careful to use only mainstream anti-GMO sources like forbes, reuters, scientific American, so please dont use green conspiracy crutch.
Again. How many people have GMOs saved? You have made a stupid claim, and you have to elaborate on on that claim so we could see grand delusions of GMO fans. Just let your imagination flow. Dont be shy, be bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living