Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:24 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,552,787 times

Advertisements

At least in America, still have regular running stop lights, between 12a and 6a (or even 10p to 6a in some of the smaller cities). It makes no sense whatsoever.
Just about any traffic light during this time, except in say, places like Times Square and most American Downtowns, should be flashing red. The amount of tail pipe emissions, even though it may not be a great amount, has to be as effective as stuff light LED light bulbs.
Is it a cost factor, too much money to program the lights so they could do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,031,417 times
Take it one step further; turn off all the "security lights"!
Even here in Billings, Montana, if you go downtown at night you will see closed businesses lit up like they were open. OK, so some have night janitorial services working, but are they there ALL NIGHT? Is it really necessary that their digital signs be flashing all night?
If you look at any business district, you will see a lot of unnecessary lights burning. the traffic lights are a drop in the bucket compared to all the other wasted electricity!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,239,253 times
Many lights are now programmed to stay green for the main road and can change by themselves. Those metal strips you see in the road have a magnetic field that can sense the metal in your car. There is small city near me that just put in all new lights and you never get red at night unless there is someone coming other way and they beat you to intersection.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:57 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,552,787 times
Well maybe it's just me but around Seattle I have waited for lights to change for over 90 seconds between 12a and 6a constantly, it's stupid

Old 08-15-2015, 03:31 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,474,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
At least in America, still have regular running stop lights, between 12a and 6a (or even 10p to 6a in some of the smaller cities). It makes no sense whatsoever.
Just about any traffic light during this time, except in say, places like Times Square and most American Downtowns, should be flashing red. The amount of tail pipe emissions, even though it may not be a great amount, has to be as effective as stuff light LED light bulbs.
Is it a cost factor, too much money to program the lights so they could do this?
Quote:
Well maybe it's just me but around Seattle I have waited for lights to change for over 90 seconds between 12a and 6a constantly, it's stupid
About 7 years ago I worked a second shift job in Bedford, Massachusetts where I would get off work at 12a. I would leave work and drive into a neighboring town called Billerica to get to the highway. Billerica had a traffic light at a four way intersection on the way to the highway.

Every night I would be the only car on this main road (it was primarily office parks on one end and residential on the other end). The traffic light would be green on the main road as I approached from a distance. Every time I approached the intersection it would change to red even though I was the only car on either of the roads. I would have to wait 30-45 seconds for it to turn green again. It was completely stupid to have this traffic light on green-red-amber overnight. The last time I went through there at 12a was in 2009. It probably has not been changed knowing how most Massachusetts towns operate.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,474,461 times
Sadly most municipalities are more concerned with either traffic calming or deriving revenue from motor vehicle infractions, both of which result in motor vehicles having to move slower and idle more, resulting in more carbon emissions than necessary.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,110,581 times
Quote:
Seattle talks, but does very little walking when it comes to the environment.

I can see the light pollution from Seattle from my house in Wenatchee. I there any reason to waste that much energy?? The city went so far to state that with the new LED lights they will save so much energy, that they are going to make them three or four times BRIGHTER!!!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,239,253 times
Quote:
They may just be old lights, anywhere I see them they are new(er) lights.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,907,203 times
There is a light in Issaquah (Route 900) that lasts 2 minutes at 5:45am, and most days I'm the only one within miles sitting there burning gas. I have often wondered whether a cop is sitting there watching me from Burger King to see if I might get impatient and run it.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:00 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,766,320 times
Having worked with numerous small utility districts in the upper Midwest I can provide you an easy answer....Liability insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living