Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You'd love my rented room now. LOL I just brought home my dollhouse from my friend's house where I've been working on it. It's only slightly smaller than the sofa. The house is currently on an endtable in the middle of my room between my sofa and my bed. It's 37" tall x 27" deep x 48" long. And there is an addition that is an additional 22" to go on one side of it (which lives under the table - no room to put it on). I have 8' x 2 1/2' of floor space left in the room now.....
What we sacrifice for the hobbies we love.

I love needlework. I have gathered a LOT of yarn over many projects, usually the stuff you buy on skeins. The idea was using the extra room for crafts. But who wants to move your project back and forth and losing track of where you stopped? So the one whole corner of the living room is full of yarn and projects and the laptop with its gathered stuff you keep near.

Neat is overrated. I figure its my house. My dogs have space to crash on the sofa and the recliner. If I want to sit on them, I share. All is well.

I tend to see a big room as a place to fill in with all the stuff I like to be able to find fast, hopefully better organized than at present, but if its not 'normal' I don't really care.

The doll house sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:52 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
1922 N Indiana Ave, Kokomo, IN 46901 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Am looking into this little shack at the moment.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:07 PM

172 posts, read 251,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Cool! And can't beat that price! Here in the Denver metro area you couldn't buy an outhouse for 20,000.

I'm not sure if this is small enough to qualify as a tiny home, but I recently bought a 530 sq. ft. condo. This is my 2nd night here & I really don't know if I can stay. Might go back to my old condo which is 812 sq. ft. That seems like a mansion in comparison. If I do stay here I'll have to get rid of most of my furniture because there's not enough room. My rabbit's "playpen" takes up most of the bedroom. My dog & I are sleeping on a dog bed on the floor, I kid you not 😄

Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What we sacrifice for the hobbies we love.

I love needlework. I have gathered a LOT of yarn over many projects, usually the stuff you buy on skeins. The idea was using the extra room for crafts. But who wants to move your project back and forth and losing track of where you stopped? So the one whole corner of the living room is full of yarn and projects and the laptop with its gathered stuff you keep near.

Neat is overrated. I figure its my house. My dogs have space to crash on the sofa and the recliner. If I want to sit on them, I share. All is well.

I tend to see a big room as a place to fill in with all the stuff I like to be able to find fast, hopefully better organized than at present, but if its not 'normal' I don't really care.

The doll house sounds awesome!
Thanks! It's a project. Twenty rooms and I'd like to add a basement to give it another 6 rooms. I must be insane!

Quote:
Looking good! I'd like something that size, but I really want more yard. Like, a hundred acres more. LOL

Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
I'd love acreage but can't afford.

This little joint looks perfect for what I need, am still communicating w/realtor to gather data as I am long distance.
I'm a minimalist in the extreme, having possessions actually makes me uncomfortable.
Books, dvds and cds are all I own now and love it that way!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
For the first five and a half years of our marriage, my ex-wife and I lived in a rented one-bedroom, one bath house. I don't know the square footage, but the rooms were not particularly large. The price was right (cheap). That was back in 1971-1976; the house has now been torn down, as it was built in the 1930's and had unvented gas heaters. I remember there was a single electrical outlet in the bedroom. Such primitive accommodations probably do not exist much anymore. People talk about the cost of living being high now (2015), but we expect more too.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 AM

29 posts, read 23,013 times
Our rental is 450 sq ft and although I wouldn't dislike to double it, it's just fine for us. I tend to feel that smaller places feels cosier and more homely, provided it isn't one of those sterile, soulless modern places.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:

We found one in Washington state that has 20 acres with it for $56,000 no bathroom though, so we could use that as a bargaining tool. We would have to add a bathroom but it would be the bathroom we wanted it's already off the grid!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
I lived in a 200 square foot apt for 4 years and I had no problem.

But amazing my neighbor who was a body builder who worked from home was married with a wife and a kid and a dog who also lived in a 200 square foot apt. It was insanity. He actually would pile furniture in hallway when he wanted to work out, put together weight set, work out, take apart weight set and put furniture back in. Also he tied a clothes line from our building to next building ten feet away and would put his winter and spring cothes in special water proof bags and hang them in off season. It was crazy tight.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
I've lived in many a small space.
What I have learned from the experience is a lot of storage tricks and what I personally find important.
What is important in a tiny home, the kitchen. It must be workable. I am not one who 'loves to cook'. But I do cook and make my food from scratch. So my kitchen has to be designed in such a way that it is truely functionable. I can't go without a double sink. I can work with minimal counter space as long as I can have a table.
I don't need a sofa, maybe a love seat, but even that I can go without. A good table with comfortable chairs works just as well. I find guests are more engaged with each other around a table vs sitting on a sofa/big chairs.

Storage solutions for small spaces.....go vertical and fill the gaps. I put one dresser on top of another dresser. While it took a step stool to get into the top drawers, I did not have to get into them often. I used the top drawers for seasonal things; off season clothing, holiday decorations, etc.
I'd put my kids socks and undies in a pillowcase and tied the end. It lived on the bed with other pillows, this freed up a drawer for clothing that actually needs folding.
There is quite a bit of hidden and wasted space found when one goes looking; such as under tables, closet floors, even closet walls, behind doors and along hallways. It is amazing what can be done with just 4 inches of depth behind a door or in a hallway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living