Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 PM

888 posts, read 454,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Am I the only one who likes the florescent Daylight bulbs and uses them everywhere? They give you the same brightness as the others without shadow. It makes me feel cheerful. The bulbs sold as sunlight bulbs give you the full spectrum range of colors if you do crafting without the cost of the special kind.

Maybe I should start buying up my favorite kind of bulbs....
I'll have to buy some and see if I notice a difference. Last week I stopped by a specialty lighting store and asked about the full spectrum lightbulbs. They told me the fluorescent ones aren't as accurate as the incandescent bulbs, so I didn't buy any, thinking I might try to find some incandescent ones online. I really need to try both.

And yes, I'd recommend stocking up on lightbulbs you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Good.
I can't imagine trying to use a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb (or a CF bulb) to warm my air compressor on a zero degree day so it will start.
Or using an LED bulb in the well house to keep the temp above freezing.
Or to keep baby chicks warm.
Or any of the other multitude of places where incandescent bulbs were used as a heat source!
Given this statement from you, it is obvious to me that you are not capable of taking care of baby chicks. They will die under your care. Please leave it up to others.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Buy halogens, they're as good as incandescant. A little cooler, butnot the blades in your eyes of LEDs
I have track lights in the bedroom and living room so they are halogens. I don't really turn them on much and I know they are outdated, but that's another thread.
I have changed all my lights in the rest of the apartment to the LED lights, they were stark white, then I saw the same bulbs came in warm white, (hence the pink and blue coding on the box). Blue for cool, which I bought, not knowing, and pink for warm.

So the warm made a big difference. I do think however my electric bill did go down substantial, and my kitchen light and bathroom light are on from dusk till midnight 365. I don't like the look of the bulbs in my kitchen ceiling fan however, so now I saw another brand called "Verbatim", I put the 4 of them in my kitchen and to me, they are better, warmer and brighter that the other LED's I had.

To me, so far, these are the closest to incandescant I can get, and I'm happy so far. I am going to replace all the rest of the bulbs in the apartment this week, and give my other LED's to someone in the family, that would never notice the difference. They were actually pricey for each bulb.

So now I will see if my electric stays the same with the new LED bulbs, not that I really care though, because the light they give off is good to me.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Simply untrue. We have four can lights down our central hall way. For a few months there were two incandescent and two LEDs. No detectable difference. Even spouse who swore she hated LEDs was unable to detect the difference. House is now getting to be all LED. Particularly the high can lights which are now so hard to get at.

well, maybe it depends on the brand of bulb, I suppose. Im not doubting what you say is true, but in my case they were horrible, but in my last opost I did explain why, with the blue and pink....

Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM

888 posts, read 454,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Simply untrue. We have four can lights down our central hall way. For a few months there were two incandescent and two LEDs. No detectable difference. Even spouse who swore she hated LEDs was unable to detect the difference. House is now getting to be all LED. Particularly the high can lights which are now so hard to get at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
well, maybe it depends on the brand of bulb, I suppose. Im not doubting what you say is true, but in my case they were horrible, but in my last opost I did explain why, with the blue and pink....
It also depends on how light sensitive a person is.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
It also depends on how light sensitive a person is.
I must be light sensitive then, also all our street lights here in Brookly NY have since been changed to LED lights, and now they are a stark white. Fortunetely they face more downward and since I live on the 4th floor my street lights don't bother me, but there is one street light on the next block, and I can see it from my living room window, as I have nothing on my windows (we have hanging plants) and every time I pass that window I feel like that light blinds me for a split second, drives me nuts. I can't wait till the trees start to bloom, it should cover it.

but so far the new LEDs I bought have a warmer glow.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I'm thinking you have to test out different bulbs to find the right type light you prefer for different rooms. I hate the CFL weak light in my laundry. It's just an awful weak light with a yellow tint to it. I also think the fixture might have something to do with how these bulbs perform.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
We replaced all of our lights in our home with soft white LED's. The amount of light they put out compared to the CFL's we had is incomparable. Our master bathroom has a fixture with 4 sockets. We placed LED's in all 4 and it was like staring into the sun. We are going to replace the fixture with a 2 socket one as it looks horrible only having two bulbs in there. We noticed a 10 dollar per month reduction of our electric bill by going to all LED. With 4 kids our lights are on 18 hours a day. Our outside light on the garage would go through 2 CFL's per year due to the temperature changes and humidity. The LED we replaced it with has been going for 10 months with no problems.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
We replaced all of our lights in our home with soft white LED's. The amount of light they put out compared to the CFL's we had is incomparable. Our master bathroom has a fixture with 4 sockets. We placed LED's in all 4 and it was like staring into the sun. We are going to replace the fixture with a 2 socket one as it looks horrible only having two bulbs in there. We noticed a 10 dollar per month reduction of our electric bill by going to all LED. With 4 kids our lights are on 18 hours a day. Our outside light on the garage would go through 2 CFL's per year due to the temperature changes and humidity. The LED we replaced it with has been going for 10 months with no problems.
I use only one bulb in the celing fan in the kitchen, with room for four. I use the daylight style cfs bulbs at no more than 25 watts rating. They make it look like noon in the kitchen. How do the led's compare in the tone of the light? If I was to switch it would have to produce the same 'daylight' full spectrum light. The higher watt daylight bulbs are equivilant to an Ott bulb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living