Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:50 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,574,800 times

Advertisements

New Record Set for World's Cheapest Solar, Knocks Coal and Gas Prices Out of the Park

2.99 Cents Per kWh.

Nukes, Coal and even Natural Gas is sooooo dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 PM

18,531 posts, read 9,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
New Record Set for World's Cheapest Solar, Knocks Coal and Gas Prices Out of the Park

2.99 Cents Per kWh.

Nukes, Coal and even Natural Gas is sooooo dead.
Except at night and during cloudy weather.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Except at night and during cloudy weather.
. . . . when it is not really needed. (used mostly for Cooling and Water)

Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 PM

19,169 posts, read 27,797,154 times
You can see it
But you can't have it.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 AM

18,531 posts, read 9,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
. . . . when it is not really needed. (used mostly for Cooling and Water)
I still turn my lights on at night. How about you?

I'm all for solar, but there are still some BIG hurdles (like finding a cheap way to store energy for night time and cloudy weather) before coal and gas can go away completely.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,098,484 times
Did anybody notice that the price is the BID?? Not the actual tariff charged for solar electricity.

It will be interesting to see what the actual cost is once the facility is constructed and operating.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,024,220 times
Quote:

I'm all for solar, but there are still some BIG hurdles (like finding a cheap way to store energy for night time and cloudy weather) before coal and gas can go away completely.
Wind turbine work best at night. Renewables should include a portfolio of technologies.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,024,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Did anybody notice that the price is the BID?? Not the actual tariff charged for solar electricity.

It will be interesting to see what the actual cost is once the facility is constructed and operating.
In the United States, bid prices become contractual commitments for the winner.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:

You misunderstand the current situation . . . and actually have it backwards?

Probably from the bias of using yourself as the perspective?

Not dogging you at all in that, it is a common misunderstanding.

Real Deal -- Present Coal (especially) and Nukes (also) are vastly surplus. As they can ONLY make "baseload" power (runs all night, runs all day) and cannot really "ramp up" for the day.

Most of the world's Electricity Consumption is during the (local) daytime. Overnight lights use little energy, and with the advent of Compact Fluorescent and LED even less so. Turns out Conservation really worked. (Yeah, we never saw that coming in the industry, either )

At this point Coal and Nukes are so surplus in the US that we could tear down one of each per year (and NOT build ANY new) and we would still be tearing down 100 years from now. Really. THAT is how overbuilt they are. Like Big Tail Fin Cars from 1958.

Here is a sample story, with some of the numbers: Flurry of Coal Power Plant Shutdowns Expected by 2016 | Climate Central

The BIG demand for power is in the Day. When the Sun Shines and somewhat after -- sometimes called the Thermal Lag. Part of Cooling being the largest load (not night-time lighting) shows up to create that Thermal Lag. That can be well met with Solar Thermal and Solar HVAC (both of which lag almost exactly with the Cooling Load (from the same cause -- duh, huh?)

But between the Solar PV working as soon as the Sun is up, and then all day, with Solar Thermal kicking in about 10 am and coasting in the evening . . . and then spread that across a few time zones . . . there is NO NEED for Storage for Decades, and maybe even a Century -- and then not likely either.

But like I say, it is common to have this misunderstand and have things backwards. Here is how REAL WORLD GRID and Thermal Storage works -- it takes the Cheap, Surplus, and otherwise Useless Generation from Deep Night . . . to move it into the Premium Daytime.

Power Generation Storage:

https://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?id=6985

Thermal Storage: (I worked on building this site around 15 to 20 years ago).

DOE Global Energy Storage Database

Old 05-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Modeling it to the US Market -- It would be the WHOLESALE Price.

Then what I think you are calling a "tariff" is what we would call the Retail (or Meter) Price.

In between WHOLESALE and RETAIL there is Transmission (the really Big Lines) and then Distribution (the Step-Down-Substation and little lines that run up and down the street).

Each of those layers adds Equipment (Capital) and Operation and Maintenance Costs and markups.

The way local Solar has been competing is by being local, it avoids the Transmission and Distribution costs, as it makes the power at or near the user site.

BUT THIS -- at under 3 cents per kWh -- for Production or Wholesale Price -- it beats Coal and Nukes and even Natural Gas -- before the fuel(s) are even factored in, right at the front end.

And since it will be likely used for Cooling and Water in Dubai -- Generating during the Prime Time of the Sunshine Day -- it is making that cheap power exactly when it is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living