Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 10:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Walking more, driving less.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:50 PM

176 posts, read 288,537 times
In 2015 I completely gave up meat and dairy due to the environmental impact and haven't touched it since. By far the best "green decision" I have made.

Have reused any plastic containers received from getting take out and turned them into kitchen storage/reusable containers for my food.

Became way more conscious of my recycling effort, trying to get to where everything in my trash bin is degradable.

Planted a garden for the first time this year to grow my own food and cut down on our footprint even more.

Stopped using the dishwasher and hand wash everything so I can observe water use and also switched to quicker showers.

The one thing I haven't been able to switch/change much is my vehicle usage since my job is to drive my personal vehicle, but as soon as I'm in the market for a new car I will be switching to electric/hybrid.

Great thread!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
60k miles on a 15 y.o. car- 4 cylinder compact wagon, related to that obviously walking prodigiously or taking public transit whenever it's a smart choice. And a 90 y.o house that produces 1000 kWh more than we consume every year because of a modest solar PV system installed last year. Infrequent showers and toilet flushing. Recycle everything.

Yeah I still eat meat occasionally, but hey, you gotta still enjoy life. As an American we just naturally consume a great deal of resources but you can lessen your part without too much hardship.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Having my house built so it is few windows on E-W?

Old 12-15-2016, 12:08 PM

274 posts, read 485,281 times
My children and I are members of our roof top garden club. We also recycle.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
We continue to live without a car and get around by walking and transit, with a car rented on those instances when we want to go outside the city. Cheaper choice to. We don't heat the house too much and wear warm clothing. We got rid of our Tassimo coffee maker and make drip coffee.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:04 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
We rarely get takeout food so we don't accumulate that trash. I cook meals at home and package in our reusable containers to take to work.

We have planted gardens for 35 years. We have fruit trees.

We planted trees in our front yard to shade the house from the afternoon sun.

We rake all leaves and yard waste into our wooded area to decompose naturally.

We use wood from our property to build furniture and to burn for heat. We compost the ash back into the garden.

We worked at home for most of the last 20 years, saving fuel costs. Now we work just 3 miles away. We keep our vehicles until they die. I'm driving a 9 year old economy car.

We buy fresh meats and produce so we don't accumulate packaging from processed foods.

We don't run the dishwasher until it is completely full. With just 2 of us, that might end up being 3 times a month. Same thing with laundry.

We buy the 5 gallon reusable jugs of water so we don't use many individual bottles.

We rarely turn on the A/C, but would rather keep the windows open with fresh air blowing through the house. We chose to live in an area with a fairly moderate climate.

We try to minimize paper waste for holiday gifts, reusing gift bags, bows & tissue, never using the cardboard gift boxes, just wrapping clothes in gift paper if we don't have a bag.

We stopped the newspaper & magazines years ago, reading news online. We have recycled since it started in the late 80's/ early 90's. We don't really have that much for trash or recycling because we don't buy those sorts of products that have packaging. Most of our trash/recycling is from unwanted junk mail.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I recycled a house, so I figure I have a couple of decades before the rest of you catch up to me.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

We stopped the newspaper & magazines years ago, reading news online. We have recycled since it started in the late 80's/ early 90's. We don't really have that much for trash or recycling because we don't buy those sorts of products that have packaging. Most of our trash/recycling is from unwanted junk mail.
I am assuming you mean recycling started in your area in the late 80's since I started recycling in the early 70's. No pick up but it was only a mile to the drop off.

I used to get 5 newspapers a day and 20 magazines a month. Over the years I cut that to 0.

I wish something could be done about junk mail. I only get 3 or 4 pieces of real mail a week. I go paperless whenever possible.

Still too many boxes much bigger than necessary. Amazon is a big offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living