U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,279,058 times

Advertisements

Having read and posted on the thread about being an organ donor, made me think of another question. Has anyone here heard about green burials? It's basically where embalming is not used, (because of the chemicals that eventually leach into the ground. And, yes, it does happen. Caskets are not, ahem, leak-proof). Only caskets that will return to the ground are allowed, (depending on the cemetery, it can be as simple as a blanket, or it can be a wooden casket). Vaults are usually not used either. The deceased's family can be directly involved in the "laying out", as in the old days, or they can use a traditional funeral home, for as little or as much help as they need. It seems there has been more of movement lately, for this sort of thing, for the lower costs, the ecosystem, and the simplicity. I have been reading up on it, and I find it to be intriguing. I like the idea of a simple burial. I've already made it very plain to my family that there is not to be anything elaborate or costly, when it comes to laying me to rest. I can't stand the thought of embalming, (and, fortunately, here in Florida, you don't have to use it, if the burial is within a certain number of days), and I've threatened to come back and haunt them, if they have a viewing! Ugh! We even have a cemetery, in Defuniak Springs,(not far from here), I believe it is, that is part of this. Not that I'm planning on utilizing this anytime soon, you understand, (I'm only 45, and in good health), but...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,298,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Having read and posted on the thread about being an organ donor, made me think of another question. Has anyone here heard about green burials? It's basically where embalming is not used, (because of the chemicals that eventually leach into the ground. And, yes, it does happen. Caskets are not, ahem, leak-proof). Only caskets that will return to the ground are allowed, (depending on the cemetery, it can be as simple as a blanket, or it can be a wooden casket). Vaults are usually not used either. The deceased's family can be directly involved in the "laying out", as in the old days, or they can use a traditional funeral home, for as little or as much help as they need. It seems there has been more of movement lately, for this sort of thing, for the lower costs, the ecosystem, and the simplicity. I have been reading up on it, and I find it to be intriguing. I like the idea of a simple burial. I've already made it very plain to my family that there is not to be anything elaborate or costly, when it comes to laying me to rest. I can't stand the thought of embalming, (and, fortunately, here in Florida, you don't have to use it, if the burial is within a certain number of days), and I've threatened to come back and haunt them, if they have a viewing! Ugh! We even have a cemetery, in Defuniak Springs,(not far from here), I believe it is, that is part of this. Not that I'm planning on utilizing this anytime soon, you understand, (I'm only 45, and in good health), but...
Well, although I don't want my body scavenged for parts after my spiritual departure from it....(and thank you for your defense of choice in that matter fyi !!! ), I also do not want to be embalmed, the idea of which disgusts me as well. I have already told my family that a plain cheap pine box is fine and I don't need anything fancy. Just stick me (all of me.... ) in the ground and let nature take its course. A green burial sounds right up my alley as it were. I actually was just in the beginning stages of planning my own funeral to make it as easy as possible for my family when I got a really bad case of pneumonia in May. I had picked out an $80 coffin built out of simple pine and was looking into costs for a burial plot in the area. I also drew up a plan so it would be easy for family to follow and spare them all that trouble if I died. I survived!!! I'll be 44 in a few weeks, and I will stick around on the planet as long as the Lord wants me to! But, I like the idea of a simple burial. I have no problem with leaching into the earth...drip drip ooze...

Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,111,372 times
Wow that is a neat idea, however I would love for my family to have a grand party I mean why not celabrate your life and your moving on ( however I allways wanted to have Oingo Boingos dead mans party played at my funeral some sick twisted humer thing.)

Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,111,372 times
My Grandma passed away before holloween about 16 yrs ago. Her viewing was on Halloween she would have loved the fact that every one was in a funeral home on Halloween night.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
My Grandma passed away before holloween about 16 yrs ago. Her viewing was on Halloween she would have loved the fact that every one was in a funeral home on Halloween night.
I told my son your story about your grandma. He thought that was funny! Your grandma must have had quite the impish sense of humor.

As to the grand party, and celebrating your life, ye must be Irish, lass, for 'twould be a grand wake yer thinkin' of! I always figured my Irish ancestors had the better idea of sending someone off. If you're going to have a viewing, at least make it worth the while.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have no problem with leaching into the earth...drip drip ooze...
Well, as long as it's just you, MoMark, doing the drippng, oozing, and leaching, and not embalming fluid, it's alright by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living