Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 04:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,954,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It almost costs me more to dispose of flourescent than to buy them. T8

Have a National Contract on pricing so no problem there... disposal is very specifically regulated and have been asked for documentation to prove proper disposal practices being followed.

In 1995 everything simply went into the 6 yard bi-weekly dumpster pickup...
You can drop off burned-out mercury bulbs at places like Home Depot and Lowe's at no cost other than whatever gas you burn to get there, plus whatever depreciation your trip causes your vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,837,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You can drop off burned-out mercury bulbs at places like Home Depot and Lowe's at no cost other than whatever gas you burn to get there, plus whatever depreciation your trip causes your vehicle.
Business is not supposed to do this and I need to keep records for audit... last I checked the Home Depot nearby has a sign not to be used for commercial quantities... I've heard they no longer accept tubes at all... only CFL

I've got about 350 right now and maybe 80 ballasts since the last disposal shipment.

The business is a Hospital so quite a few T8 bulbs and at least a couple of ballasts each week.

Proper documentation is huge in the medical field for just about any aspect related to running the facility as it should be.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,954,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The post to which you responded, I was talking about the change fossil fuel burning makes to the carbon load in the biosphere. Whether carbon is burned in a log, or left to decay in the forest makes no change to the total biosphere load.

But as long as you brought this up - the difference between a rotting log and a burning log will be one of time scale - it takes time to reabsorb carbon into new bio-matter, and burning produces CO2 faster than a rotting log is in releasing CO2. Can plant matter regrow at a rate that matches the production rate of CO2 from a burning log? I sort of doubt it.
In addition, a log left to decompose in a forest helps support a plethora of life-forms and eventually adds to the fertility of the soil. Whereas a burned log, which may indeed provide useful and welcome heat, does none of this, unless its ashes are eventually used as fertilizer. Or they could be used to make lye (and lye products, such as soap), but this is rarely done these days.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,702,931 times
Quote:
In addition, a log left to decompose in a forest helps support a plethora of life-forms and eventually adds to the fertility of the soil. Whereas a burned log, which may indeed provide useful and welcome heat, does none of this, unless its ashes are eventually used as fertilizer. Or they could be used to make lye (and lye products, such as soap), but this is rarely done these days.
Reminds me of the story about the wolf and the aspens in Yellowstone National Park. For decades they couldn't figure out why the aspen trees were dying or failing to grow and they were able to determine that it was because they got rid of the wolf! There is a documentary that talks about the system dynamics.. really amazing story. Turns out that even having a few wolves around made a huge impact. Wolves have the designated status of being a cornerstone species.

So even the difference between a slowly decomposing log and a burnt one can have a profound effect in a system.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We survived 10,000 years without the EPA.
Life will go on without regulating the water in puddles and ditches.
10,000 years ago there wasn't 7 billion people on earth and 330 million people in America.

100 years ago there wasn't yet 2 billion people on earth and 102 million people in America.

100 years later and populations EVERYWHERE have tripled ..... compare that with how long it took (10,000 years) to get to 2 billion world population.

What makes you think today's increasingly higher populations can possibly survive now and in the future without water regulations?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,837,415 times
The twist is we are now compliance inspected annually as an urban woodland interface...

You "Can" let wood rot if it is first reduced to chips...

Several times I have been cited and requested a field meeting with a supervisor who told me it is clear the area is not in compliance... thing is the area in question is city owned property... go figure?

This is the stuff that drives me nuts... 120k vegetation management inspectors that are clueless as to private and city property.

One year they want it clearcut and a few years later it is a no-no due to erosion.

Five inspectors are likely to provide five different answers.

I really believe things like this wear on people over time...

The government is suppose to be for the people and not the other way around...

Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,206,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

So no, most of the mercury in the soil in the US did not "come from China". If you cannot admit you were fibbing when it comes to things like this, why should we trust anything you say.
If very little of the mercury from US sources is deposited in the US and none of it is coming from overseas I guess it's non issue isn't it?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,206,405 times
Quote:

Fire is a natural cycle of the forest that has occurred forever until man started putting them out. Naturally a fire may occur every few decades or whatever, it moves through quickly and doesn't do much damage. When you don't let it burn for 100 years you now have 100 years of fuel on the ground, those fires burn everything up leaving a sterile landscape. Fire is healthy for the forest, I know of at least one species that requires it for regeneration.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:10 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,428,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Now that the Republicans have taken power and have control of Congress, the presidency, and soon probably also the Supreme Court how do we protect our environment? I assume they will now attack clean air and water regulations and allow companies to pollute all they want to . What can we who care about the environment do to continue to protect it when those who make the rules do not?
As an environmentalist, you just won. Trump was the environmentalist candidate in the election. He believes in limited immigration, and immigration is the number-one issue for environmentalism.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:21 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,428,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
So let us see. You say you care about the environment yet you use electricity, oil, plastics and heavy metals? Hmmmmm......
Not just that -- I guarantee you he supports encourages using immigration to grow the population in places like the USA, which will result in more people using electricity, oil, plastic, and heavy metals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living