Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 PM

16 posts, read 18,765 times

Advertisements

Come to think of it, do environmentalists complain a lot on racing being "wasteful"? F1, NASCAR, Moto GP, Motocross, Go-Karting, NHRA, etc. And if so, is this being addressed by the racing associations and automakers themeselves? I did hear about solar car racing. Also, European racing cars use shredded newspaper on the cars themeselves, sure it may reduce emissions by quite a lot but it still affecting the environment by using of course old newspaper. Then there is solar racing I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,332,753 times
In the end all forms of entertainment are wasteful. In order to visit major sporting events many people fly to them, in fact a lot of people who are very worldly fly quite a bit, and flying wastes a lot of energy if you put in enough airline miles in a year... not to mention all those chemtrails they put in the air.

Auto racing is nothing I'm particularly interested in, but to each their own. Entertainment takes resources. I don't know if I want to "ban" it because I don't support banning things unless they directly harm another person.. as long as they pay their taxes and everyone's happy....

Last edited by sholomar; 01-13-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,190,585 times
Ever go to a NASCAR event? I once went to time trials (qualifying) at Charlotte where only one car was on the track at a time. I had a heavy exhaust fume headache by halfway through the event. This was about 20 years ago, but I suspect there is probably not much pollution control on the cars.

I've also been to places like VIR when that have track days, it is not as bad - I assume because most if not many of the cars are street driven and still have emission controls.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 PM

16 posts, read 18,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Ever go to a NASCAR event? I once went to time trials (qualifying) at Charlotte where only one car was on the track at a time. I had a heavy exhaust fume headache by halfway through the event. This was about 20 years ago, but I suspect there is probably not much pollution control on the cars.

I've also been to places like VIR when that have track days, it is not as bad - I assume because most if not many of the cars are street driven and still have emission controls.
Dang, i am shocked that actually occurred.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,014,790 times
Art is wasteful too. Eliminate art!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:29 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,692,818 times
It's like with Al Gore and now Leonoardo DiCaprio... I *promise* you there is less climate injury if we condone high profile, very rich "climate change ambassadors" to romp around the world in their jets, for the "cause" or not, while at scale we collectively exchange out hydrocarbon for the region-appropriate alternative energy sources.

That's not to say that I like it. I'm just pragmatic. There is something inspiring said about someone rich and famous (and in some cases, respected) taking on an issue that you think is important. I've liked both Gore and DiCaprio's documentaries.

The racing world is somewhat comparable to me. I'm doubtful eliminating it would have as much of a profound affect on climate as other more mundane, but scaled actions like changing over China, India or the US power grids to solar/nuclear/wind/wave or whatnot as well as converting passenger and commercial aircraft, watercraft and land transportation to alternate fuels.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,335,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarn99 View Post
Come to think of it, do environmentalists complain a lot on racing being "wasteful"? F1, NASCAR, Moto GP, Motocross, Go-Karting, NHRA, etc. And if so, is this being addressed by the racing associations and automakers themeselves? I did hear about solar car racing. Also, European racing cars use shredded newspaper on the cars themeselves, sure it may reduce emissions by quite a lot but it still affecting the environment by using of course old newspaper. Then there is solar racing I guess.
If you leave it up them the human race should recede back to the caves, eat tree roots, wear burlap and go to bed at 7.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,424,658 times
Hollywood production companies and their star celebrities have carbon footprints unimaginable to the average person and that industry dwarfs the auto racing community by several orders of magnitude.

A race track on race day consumes a lot of fuel and puts out a ton of pollution, about as much as a few city blocks in Anycity, USA does 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

I am not into NASCAR or Formula, but they don't even hit my radar as far as serious contributors to environmental decline is concerned.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:55 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,119,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hollywood production companies and their star celebrities have carbon footprints unimaginable to the average person and that industry dwarfs the auto racing community by several orders of magnitude.

A race track on race day consumes a lot of fuel and puts out a ton of pollution, about as much as a few city blocks in Anycity, USA does 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

I am not into NASCAR or Formula, but they don't even hit my radar as far as serious contributors to environmental decline is concerned.
How much fuel gets burnt from a private jet carrying leo from france to LA and back to claim his climate award? What about al gore's luxury yhat traveling the same distance?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 PM

23 posts, read 25,075 times
I did hear about F1 making some fueling restrictions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living