Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM

9,493 posts, read 11,260,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Yeah, I'm going to spend time reading an article that starts with the words "The New World Order is coming!", and that lists "Resources to aid your understanding" in the sidebar like the antisemitic hoax Protocols of the Elders of Zion and a book on the Illuminati.
I tend to ignore the clutter that surrounds articles, sorry if that turned you off.
I fished around a few articles on abiogenic oil and that one fit the bill.

I will look for resources to aid my understanding!

The Mysterious Origin and Supply of Oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,809,202 times
I say we use up all the available, known oil on the planet as soon as possible and we'll find out if the oil production process is ongoing!

Just a modest proposal..'

Rich (voting for dino meat)

(I hesitate to add, I'm only kidding, but in this thread, ya never know!)

Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ok, we don't know. That's a pretty definitive answer but somehow I don't hear that about the formation of oil in the first place. It seems it's an open and shut case for many. It's "science" and that's that. How can we be sure of how the oil was formed millions of years ago but not know if it is being produced right this moment? When did the oil stop being made exactly? For all we know, fresh oil is being made by the millions of barrels a day.
Can we agree that the BP oil spill was the largest in history? What, millions... hundreds of millions of barrels wasted after it was all over? The U.S. alone could have used all that oil in a few days! And we have been. For decades. So now we mine for oil. We frack for oil, we horizontal drill for oil we don't do it because its fun, but because its necessary. And even if you were right, and new oil is being produced in the millions of barrels a day, it wouldn't matter because the U.S. alone uses tens of millions of barrels a day! A net loss in other words.

As for your "I can't possibly be a troll since I am participating in the discussion". Nice try, but no cigar. Your defense of the indefensible with contrarian talking points does look an awful lot like trolling. I'd rather believe that you are a troll because if not, it would mean that you were incredibly ignorant. Like really incredibly ignorant. Which is it?

Old 04-01-2017, 02:05 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,890,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I say we use up all the available, known oil on the planet as soon as possible and we'll find out if the oil production process is ongoing!

Just a modest proposal..'

Rich (voting for dino meat)

(I hesitate to add, I'm only kidding, but in this thread, ya never know!)
Don't mess with the olives.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:23 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,047,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Scientists aren't really sure, but
And there's your answer to every so-called scientific question.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,970,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The milion-year argument does not disprove that oil is being created right at this moment. Every day that passes could be the end of some one million year, so it's not overnight. If you claim no new oil is being formed anymore then you should tell us when was the last barrel of oil made?
I have to assume you're incapable of understanding what someone else has written or you're simply trying to get a rise out of people because I have not claimed "no new oil is being formed". In fact, I've said the opposite. Quoting myself:

Quote:
The assumption is that it's being produced right this moment, as it always has since algae and plankton first evolved in the seas.
What part of that isn't clear?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,970,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I tend to ignore the clutter that surrounds articles, sorry if that turned you off.
I fished around a few articles on abiogenic oil and that one fit the bill.

I will look for resources to aid my understanding!

The Mysterious Origin and Supply of Oil
A couple of key quotes from the article:

Quote:
scientists still don't know for sure where oil comes from, how long it took to make, or how much there is... The rate at which petroleum is forming is not going to be the solution to our petroleum supplies.
I'm not sure where HappyRider is coming from or whether he's just jerking our chains, but the whole premise of the original post is just, well silly.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,024,888 times
There's a huge amount of Methane Hydrate at the ocean bottom which is way more recent than the crude oil we are drilling for now. Hydrocarbons are certainly being laid down currently. It will be a while before it's oil.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,113,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And there's your answer to every so-called scientific question.

Um, no.

Do you wear glasses or know someone with glasses? That's science in action. Do you type your responses to these threads on a computer? So many scientific things going on there from the plastics of it's construction to the electrons making it work. Do you drive a car? Science, *******. Have you ever used anything that has solar power, from lights to calculators? Science working flawlessly. How about a microwave oven? Repeatable, demonstrable science.

Science deniers are funny people. Ignorant, but funny. None of those things stop working if you don't believe in them. Why? Because science is not a belief system that only works of you believe. Your glasses don't care if you believe in them or not. Neither does your dishwashing detergent. Your car still drives whether you believe in the science behind the fuel formulation. And it will cease to function if you believe that water is a good substitute for gasoline.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

760 posts, read 773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Can we agree that the BP oil spill was the largest in history? What, millions... hundreds of millions of barrels wasted after it was all over? The U.S. alone could have used all that oil in a few days! And we have been. For decades. So now we mine for oil. We frack for oil, we horizontal drill for oil we don't do it because its fun, but because its necessary. And even if you were right, and new oil is being produced in the millions of barrels a day, it wouldn't matter because the U.S. alone uses tens of millions of barrels a day! A net loss in other words.

We burn through an average of 20 million barrels of oil a DAY, every percentage point increase in human population means we will require more oil since oil is used in everything from plastics to food production.

The amount of oil WE produce is miniscule, it's like filling a swimming pool with a fire truck pumper and a kid comes to "help" fill it by pouring in one pail of water.
Were talking millions of barrels of oil a DAY here, 20.6 MILLION barrels a day (2007) is what we use as #1 user.
China at #2 used 7.5 million barrels a day (2007)
Saudia Arabia itself used 2.3 million.

For every 1,000 people in the USA, an average of 68.6 barrels a day are burned up or otherwise used up. Do the math, for every 1,000 new babies born or 1,000 immigrants we will need at least 68 Barrels of oil a DAY in addition to what we already need- 20.6 million.
Obviously cutting back, LED bulbs, and recycling is no answer, it only kicks the can down the road a little bit and is completely countered by increases in population.

People have NO idea what 20 million barrels of oil looks like if they were all stacked up or all loaded on a freight train, a single crude oil railcar can only carry approximately 680 to 720 barrels of crude oil, divide 20 million by 700 and you'll get a close idea how many tanker cars making up the train, I come up with a freight train 28,571 tank cars long- used up per day! Now that starts to put a "mental picture" on the number that's easier to visualize doesn't it?

If you round out the length of each tanker car to 60 feet, the train would be 324 miles long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living