Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times

Advertisements

We have pickup twice a week. I usually have a tall kitchen bag each time about 2/3 full.

Recycling twice a month. About 2 tall kitchen bags each time but placed in a container without the bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We are only two people also. We separate recyclables from non, and we have a garbage disposal.
Regular trash is on Friday. Recycle is every other Monday.
Some weeks we skip a collection.
At some point in the month the city collects brush and othe landscaping waste.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,787 times
The city provided a large bin with wheels. Rolling it out is easier than moving a bunch of 30 gallon cans, but that is also automation and job loss. The garbage trucks now have hydraulic arms to lift and dump the bins, operated from the driver seat. The guy who hangs on the back to lift and dump the garbage may now be unemployed.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
We have once a month pick up for garbage for three adults plus every other week recyclables. We compost, also. The two neighbors next door generate a can a week. I can't figure that one out as they do recycle. Once my hubby peeked in a saw a large woman's handbag inside.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM

749 posts, read 735,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Today was garbage day (once a week pickup) so on my way to work I dropped a small bag of kitchen garbage in the robo can and wheeled it to the curb- The total amount in the can barely covered the bottom of the can- not even 1/4 full.

It's just my husband and myself so that is pretty common for us. When we had 4 kids in the house it honestly wasn't that much more.

Driving thru the development I noticed it was more common than not for the lids on the cans to be propped open with so much garbage the lid didn't close properly- some households even had 2 robocans at the curb. I'm thinking to myself what the heck can they be filling those cans with?

recycle is a completely different day and different can so it's not that- we rarely go out to eat and cook most meals at home so I'm wondering- how do families generate so darn much garbage?
Unless we have company, or it's an unusual week, my wife & I fill one small garbage bag per week. We do close to that amount of recycleables each week.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Packaging.

I am single, and don't use garbage pickup, it's way too expensive.

I have chickens and a compost pile for organic garbage. I can either make use of newspaper and regular cardboard or burn it, and make use of the ashes.

Clothing gets recycled, as does glass, cans, and most plastic containers.

What's left is glossy paper and packaging and the associated unrecyclable plastic.

I generate about a can per month, and I drop it off myself.

Ditto for me, except that it takes me three years to fill a 13-gallon wastebasket with things for the dump. No chickens here, but two adjoining neighbors have them and ducks. Whenever I go into my backyard, they coming running for the fence, hoping for treats.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
We recycle 4x what we have in garbage.

I am for recycling but it has become the new garbage. It is still waste to be dealt with, that costs money and energy to do so. We need to reduce the amount of recycling. Most of it is packaging for us - a huge amount of cardboard and lots of plastic containers. I don't need all that packaging. Just give me the product. Instruction sheets are all on-line now too.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Packaging.

I am single, and don't use garbage pickup, it's way too expensive.

I have chickens and a compost pile for organic garbage. I can either make use of newspaper and regular cardboard or burn it, and make use of the ashes.

Clothing gets recycled, as does glass, cans, and most plastic containers.

What's left is glossy paper and packaging and the associated unrecyclable plastic.

I generate about a can per month, and I drop it off myself.

Thumbs up! We do not have UNRELIABLE waste disposal service for 8 years. Like you, chickens eat all organic or it goes into Her Special - compost pile. Every morning I take whatever is in small garbage can from yesterday to work with me and toss it into parking trash can. We have recycle beans at work and I take recyclables in non transparent bag to work maybe once every other month.
In 8 years we took trip to dump site only once.
We donate just like ^^^^^
Our waste disposal, which was ridiculously unreliable+hassle of taking trash cans for pickup, was $60 + eight years ago and is likely more now. Say, $70x1monthx12x8=$6720. That's a good used car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living