Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 PM

22,538 posts, read 12,109,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
A wall isn't secure. Building a wall, no matter how big, will not be a "great addition" to security in our nation. Even years ago back when there were no airplanes, the great wall of China couldn't stop the Mongols, and today, with planes, drones, and - you know, shovels - a wall won't stop anyone. It's ridiculous to think it will.

Do you lock the door to your home when you go out? After all, if someone wants to get in badly enough, they will find a way. So...why not just leave your door wide open
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
It's an interesting idea and could potentially provide something for people on both sides. I have no idea if it's feasible or not but it's interesting to think about.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 AM

301 posts, read 297,266 times
I will start off by saying I really despise President Trump. He is a demonstrated misogynistic perpetual liar, narcissist, and pretty much all around turd.

I am against his immigration policies. I am against the wall being built even if Mexico funded it, but vehemently against it being built on the debt of our children. It will do little to stop illegal immigration as more than 50% comes from legal visitors overstaying their visas. I am not for the wall at all.

But... If the wall was built, and the solar panels could be made strong enough to prevent the vandilism (from both the US and Mexico side. There are bullet holes in everything as you get closer to the border... on both sides), then... it would be a fantastic idea.

Again, this is a lot of iff's. There is no way this should be added as a "bonus" clean energy scam. There are much more productive ways and places to distribute solar panels. But if the dang thing is built. Why not.

For those that have the ability to use solar, it is amazing. My house is approximately 90% solar powered. In March, April, May, September, and October, I typically make more electricity than I use. The other months I use more. In the 7 years I've had my panels, they produce statistically the same electricity they did the first year and that is without maintenance whatsoever. 2016 was the best producing year I had since 2011. It all depends on temperature and clouds.

My advice is to split the two projects. ********** stupid wall being built, but if we can put solar on any structure that already exists, including the wall, then it is a boon for the U.S. to get away from fossil fuels.

Short: Wall-No. Solar-Yes.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:37 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,274,985 times
All engineering solutions involve compromises among conflicting factors: risk vs benefits.

About half of the US-Mex border is Rio Grande-- no need to build along there. Of the other half, half of that is already built and has been in place for decades.

So what exactly is the opposition to completing the job? Or do you think we should tear down the existing walls?

Financial costs will be recouped from economic advantages: less tax money spent on social services, less downward pressure on wages ("But," you object," Americans won't take those jobs that the illegals are willing to take!" That's the whole point: Illegals will milk cows for $10/hr and Americans won't. But Americans would do it for $20/hr)

The Mexican govt opposes more walls because immigration is their relief valve for over-population/ unemployment and source of national revenue. Immigrants (legal & illegal) employed here send $$millions back to family every year, draining our national economic pool and augmenting theirs.

In regards PV installations on the wall, it does put to use otherwise wasted space, but, as mentioned by many, upkeep costs (and replacement costs every 20 yrs) will be high. PV generation of juice is very inefficient economically, so I'm not so sure it should be done, but the fact that the idea has come up just demonstrates how an intelligent problem solver (and Mother Nature) works: throw out many possible solutions (spontaneous mutations in Nature) and see what seems to work (survival of the fittest). There are no stupid ideas, only more or less efficient ones.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:40 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,274,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post
I will start off by saying I really despise President Trump. He is a demonstrated misogynistic perpetual liar, narcissist, and pretty much all around turd.

Nobody's perfect.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,399,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Well, we've seen of late how this is what happens with that family...
oh yeah. This president thing has made them RICH! Oh wait. That's the Clintons.

Since this proposal involves profit, I'd say the power companies would be on board with the whole idea. They provide security for their assets now. Why not form this partnership?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,399,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
A wall isn't secure. Building a wall, no matter how big, will not be a "great addition" to security in our nation. Even years ago back when there were no airplanes, the great wall of China couldn't stop the Mongols, and today, with planes, drones, and - you know, shovels - a wall won't stop anyone. It's ridiculous to think it will.
park a few snipers on your wall and it's a whole new ball game

Old 06-09-2017, 07:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,474,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Amid the fallout of the United States' withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement, President Donald Trump on Tuesday appeared to embrace an environmentally-friendly solution to what he calls the country's immigration crisis: Suggesting that solar panels could cover his border wall, two government sources told NBC News.

Trump Floats Idea of a 'Solar' Border Wall
Just like execs at many companies...as soon as they make some harebrained suggestion or give a half-baked idea some sycophant takes it and runs...then it becomes a real thing based on no real analysis. But hey, if it makes you look good and somebody makes a crap-load of money from it, it's all good, right?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM

51,254 posts, read 36,923,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
All engineering solutions involve compromises among conflicting factors: risk vs benefits.

About half of the US-Mex border is Rio Grande-- no need to build along there. Of the other half, half of that is already built and has been in place for decades.

So what exactly is the opposition to completing the job? Or do you think we should tear down the existing walls?

Financial costs will be recouped from economic advantages: less tax money spent on social services, less downward pressure on wages ("But," you object," Americans won't take those jobs that the illegals are willing to take!" That's the whole point: Illegals will milk cows for $10/hr and Americans won't. But Americans would do it for $20/hr)

The Mexican govt opposes more walls because immigration is their relief valve for over-population/ unemployment and source of national revenue. Immigrants (legal & illegal) employed here send $$millions back to family every year, draining our national economic pool and augmenting theirs.

In regards PV installations on the wall, it does put to use otherwise wasted space, but, as mentioned by many, upkeep costs (and replacement costs every 20 yrs) will be high. PV generation of juice is very inefficient economically, so I'm not so sure it should be done, but the fact that the idea has come up just demonstrates how an intelligent problem solver (and Mother Nature) works: throw out many possible solutions (spontaneous mutations in Nature) and see what seems to work (survival of the fittest). There are no stupid ideas, only more or less efficient ones.
Mexico is our third largest trading partner, they buy a lot from US. They also support local business. My town is a resort with a severely declining year-round population due to inability of kids to come back after college and buy a home (an older single family starts at above $400,000) and lack of jobs in the area with the decline of AC. The many year-round, family-owned businesses here for decades were not making it. The influx of Immigrants however (Mexican and Eastern European) however have saved many of these businesses. They are willing to live in boarding homes and 6 to a room. Yes, they send money back, but they also pay rent, buy lunch, use grocery and drug stores and contribute greatly to our local economy. And we are still a very low crime area.

If we pay people double to milk cows, the price of milk doubles. In my day (70's and 80's) no one but rich people had lawn services. It was the influx of cheap labor that led to the massive growth in landscaping companies, most of which are owned by Americans. So get rid of the cheap labor, lawn care service goes back to the domain of the rich, and thousands of businesses go under. These are not only part-time jobs, but seasonal jobs. Most Americans are not willing to travel the country going where the jobs go as the seasons change.

The stupidest reason for the wall is that since Mexico has a growing middle class now because of trade, we have had a net DECLINE in immigration the past several years...MORE are going back than coming over, so why spend all this money? For what?

Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,023,134 times
Per the article: "Mexico and the U.S. would be connected by a truly beautiful wall — a symbol of unity, visible even from space," they wrote. That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Walls are the exact opposite of connecting and uniting structures. They divide and separate. Actually, I changed my mind. It's the second most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard is that Trump, the same guy who pulled out of the international climate change agreement, is suddenly interested in building a wall, but only if it's ecologically sound and environmentally friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living