Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,971,858 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's true! The Kentucky Coal mining museum is putting in solar panels. Coal isn't going away, but it's fading. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lar/100205662/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,351,216 times
I thought you were going to mention barrow or Fairbanks. :/

Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM

37,571 posts, read 61,652,947 times
If you can see the 'handwriting on the wall' it makes sense.

As a museum, their monthly revenue comes from ticket sales. As we fade further away from coal-burning I would expect their ticket sales will slowly decrease over the next 40 years.

That was a lot like the future that my Dw was looking at. Ten years ago, she was looking at her approaching retirement and trying to project what our monthly retirement budget was going to look like. At that time, I was already on my military pension. She wanted a way to reduce our monthly budget for after she went on her pension. So during her last 5 years of working at a higher income, we focused on investing into Solar Power for our home. It was a big investment. We bought one segment of the system each year, until we finally had all components gathered together.

Now a year and a half later, our monthly spending is a lot less. And we have come to understand the real benefits of solar power. Nobody ever told us about how much more electricity we would have available for us to use. We consume way more electricity now while off-grid than we did before on-grid.

Looking at the business model of a museum, it makes sense to me that their board should decide to go with solar power.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,489,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Yes, it's true! The Kentucky Coal mining museum is putting in solar panels. Coal isn't going away, but it's fading. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lar/100205662/
I don't think anyone is getting the 'irony' here...

Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,266,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Looking at the business model of a museum, it makes sense to me that their board should decide to go with solar power.
I would think museums showing old things no longer available for viewing in everyday life would be at an advantage.

If you had taken that $16,000 with which you bought your solar installation in 2015 and had put it in the DJI, it would be worth almost $23,000 today, a profit of $5000, although you did save $2500 in electric bills.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I would think museums showing old things no longer available for viewing in everyday life would be at an advantage.

If you had taken that $16,000 with which you bought your solar installation in 2015 and had put it in the DJI, it would be worth almost $23,000 today, a profit of $5000, although you did save $2500 in electric bills.
We have already saved much more than that.

Our break even point on the cost of solar power is around 10 years.

Besides I like having access to electricity every day, all day long. The other alternative is to run a generator, which is a lot of expensive.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,106,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Yes, it's true! The Kentucky Coal mining museum is putting in solar panels. Coal isn't going away, but it's fading.
The last place for me to expect to see a solar panel would be in a distant 1 light year away Kuiper belt object. Kentucky, not surprising at all. Anything subsidized by government grows. If we subsidize solar cells in the distant areas of our Kuiper belt, somebody will eventually get something there if the return on investment is very good.

Coal is being displaced by natural gas as it is a low cost alternative that is cleaner and easier to burn. Eventually we may see compressed natural gas cars in lieu of electric to replace gasoline.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
... Coal is being displaced by natural gas as it is a low cost alternative that is cleaner and easier to burn. Eventually we may see compressed natural gas cars in lieu of electric to replace gasoline.
I hate seeing subsidies for anything, it just leads to higher taxes. If something is a good idea it should stand on it's own.

Compressed natural gas cars might replace gasoline someday. For now electric vehicles can work well here in rural Maine. We have a plug-in hybrid that we charge from our household solar system. Since they work so well here in New England, they should work even better down South.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 AM

In the late 60s, Fiat & Ferrari collaborated on the Fiat Dino. It ran on gasoline or propane; simple flip of a switch. It's a very easy conversion to do any conventional car like that. With all the NG becoming available via fracking, look for gasoline to remain king until it's nearer depletion and extraction costs run too high, then money will be moved into building the infrastructure needed to provide NG universally.

In regards EVs-- if power is being generated via conventional coal/gas plants, they actually have a larger "carbon footprint" than a conventional int. comb. engine. And if the juice is coming from a commercial alternative plant, because the coal/gas plants have to be kept running at idle for security, there's no decrease in carbon footprint either. Only hydro- & nuclear gives you what you're looking for in EVs.

BTW- the "carbon cost' of manufacturing Tesla's new batteries is equivalent to driving an ICE for eight yrs. But Tesla's only have a road life (so far) of five years? But I guess if you're shelling out 6 figures for a performance car, it's all for show and not the environment anyways. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/...oline-driving/

Old 06-22-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Our break even point on the cost of solar power is around 10 years.
Only if you ignore your lost investment potential. I chose $16K in my example above because that's what the DJI was in 2015. If you were spending $100/m on grid juice, then you would have spent $2400 in two yrs, while your $16K was riding the Dow to $23k today. You'd have had convenient juice (most of the time) and still have $21,500 in the market and still earning interest.

But you blew the $16k (approx) on the system so now you save $100/m but have only $2400 in the bank.

I agree energy security is the only real reason to go off grid when grid is readily available.But there's also financial security. Only you can put a value on those for your own situation.

I can't see spending 4 figures just so I can keep watching a big screen tv after an occasional bad the
thnderstrom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living