Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Our collection is once a week, along with the garbage and yard waste, so we always have a good supply of recyclables available in the bin. For a mouse that's easily grabbed, I would just use a glove and my hand, or if it's not lively grab it by the tail and toss it in the yard for the local coyotes or owls to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
I don't keep anything around. We have trash pickup 2 times/week. Our municipality pays for trash/recycling separation.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our collection is once a week, along with the garbage and yard waste, so we always have a good supply of recyclables available in the bin. For a mouse that's easily grabbed, I would just use a glove and my hand, or if it's not lively grab it by the tail and toss it in the yard for the local coyotes or owls to eat.
Well, the exterminator said I didn't need to keep the recently departed. So I swept him off the porch into a dust pan and hurled him into the tall grasses.

As far as gloves go, they were not as handy (no puns intended). As far as tails go, well, I did want to keep a nice distance between me and him. There is always the possibility of a rodent's last act of defiance. Long ago, I had to read a police report of someone being taken to sick bay because as they were removing the rat from the trap, he bit them.

Once bitten, well at least another, twice shy.

If my recycles were collected here at the ranch, odds are they would have been in the bin and probably unavailable. Then, I would have to resort to other solutions such as, maybe, bbq grill tongs destined for just that, picking up rodents, scorpions, and other creepy crawly things.

In of itself, that is not a bad approach. The problem is when a guest uses such normally and does not know of the local custom. You know, like using the dog's thermometer for their child.

As said, though, that is not an option, roadside collection, I am seeking out. Certainly would be easier but it would remove one of my chances to be out in the community.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

Tonight, I came home and one of the cats was playing with a mouse.

Next time just let the cat finish the job and eat the mouse. Disposal problem solved.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Next time just let the cat finish the job and eat the mouse. Disposal problem solved.

I don't think you understand cats.

There is no guarantee that the cat would eat the mouse.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:20 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Tonight, I came home and one of the cats was playing with a mouse.

My plastic recycling hadn't been done yet, so I grabbed a tall, large mouth jar from the box, trapped the poor rodent underneath, deposited him outside on a porch, and then dropped said container into the trash, its recycling value much degraded. I mean, I certainly wasn't going to wash it after that.

A rare occasion? Perhaps but then again, it is like when Mom had me get a dead squirrel off her yard. I double bagged two plastic shopping bags into an empty laundry detergent container, lifted by shovels Rotten, the (long dead) dying squirrel into the bags, tied the knot, and sent him off to the next world in some dumpster.

So, how much?
We don’t pay for a recycling bin, we actually get a full size garbage can provided free by waste management just for recycling. I rinse out my containers but don’t wash them before putting them in the can for recycling and recycling is picked up once a week.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:52 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
... About the girl friend who drank from the soda can with a dead mouse in it. The can was open, she was thirsty, she didn't check it first, and when she saw the dead mouse at the bottom, all her microbiology education came back to her and she freaked.

Well, her first step was 4 shots of strong alcohol.
I'm still hung up on this mouse story ... am trying to figure out how this could have happened. So the girlfriend opened a can of soda, drank from it, left the can out (apparently for several hours?), a mouse happened upon the can and crawled in it and drowned, then the girlfriend at some point goes back to the room with the soda can, feels thirsty again, picks up the can that she had discarded long before, and drinks again?

What a god-awful surprise! But I can't imagine leaving out a half-drunk soda and picking it up presumably hours later ... that seems odd to me.

OP, any more details?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm still hung up on this mouse story ... am trying to figure out how this could have happened. So the girlfriend opened a can of soda, drank from it, left the can out (apparently for several hours?), a mouse happened upon the can and crawled in it and drowned, then the girlfriend at some point goes back to the room with the soda can, feels thirsty again, picks up the can that she had discarded long before, and drinks again?

What a god-awful surprise! But I can't imagine leaving out a half-drunk soda and picking it up presumably hours later ... that seems odd to me.

OP, any more details?
The names have been changed to protect the....well, you know.................

Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
The names have been changed to protect the....well, you know.................
Didn't ask anything about the names ... just the STORY. Trying to make sense of it but it doesn't compute. If a mouse crawled into a half-drunk soda can, wouldn't the mouse have knocked it over? No one would try to drink from a soda can that had been knocked over ... so again, how did this happen? I quote: "So the girlfriend opened a can of soda, drank from it, left the can out (apparently for several hours?), a mouse happened upon the can and crawled in it and drowned, then the girlfriend at some point goes back to the room with the soda can, feels thirsty again, picks up the can that she had discarded long before, and drinks again?"

Sorry, I like to try to figure things out, and I haven't been able to with this story, so far!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Didn't ask anything about the names ... just the STORY. Trying to make sense of it but it doesn't compute. If a mouse crawled into a half-drunk soda can, wouldn't the mouse have knocked it over? No one would try to drink from a soda can that had been knocked over ... so again, how did this happen? I quote: "So the girlfriend opened a can of soda, drank from it, left the can out (apparently for several hours?), a mouse happened upon the can and crawled in it and drowned, then the girlfriend at some point goes back to the room with the soda can, feels thirsty again, picks up the can that she had discarded long before, and drinks again?"

Sorry, I like to try to figure things out, and I haven't been able to with this story, so far!
"Have mercy! I deliver the message, not make the marriage!"

She's the one who related what details she wanted to us and I wasn't there to record it. On that night, she was pretty freaked so forgive me if all the details aren't there to relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living