Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Read the article. China is complaining it is getting too much back. It will still need to get them back, just not at the rate it is getting. They are also complaining that many of the waste contains hazardous materials and are not properly cleaned before they receive it.
Compared to the drywall made with formaldehyde, lead in paint on kids toys, poisonous pet foods, crappy cheap products all around. I could go on and on. They have no argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
As I understand it, plastic can only be recycled several times before it is "downcycled" and will eventually end up in a landfill. I stopped buying my daily yogurt because a: it kept getting smaller and smaller in size, and b: I could imagine the 365 containers/year stacked up before me and it seemed like such a waste.

https://recyclenation.com/2017/06/ho...s-be-recycled/

Everything in the grocery store seems to be embedded in plastic, and this includes Whole Foods, who stopped using plastic shopping bags. Tiny cupcakes in some plastic coffin when some cardboard container would serve as well. I've just stopped buying a number of things because of this increasing use of plastic containers.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:36 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Apparently China does not think it needs it back.

Yeah, maybe China is forming its policy based on its own self-interest. Who do you think they learned that from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
As I understand it, plastic can only be recycled several times before it is "downcycled" and will eventually end up in a landfill. I stopped buying my daily yogurt because a: it kept getting smaller and smaller in size, and b: I could imagine the 365 containers/year stacked up before me and it seemed like such a waste.
Yogurt comes in 24-oz tubs, that a) are more economical to buy, b ) can be reused instead of buying new tupperware, and c) enable you to choose your portion size every day, besides d) generating less plastic trash.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM

534 posts, read 488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Everything in the grocery store seems to be embedded in plastic, and this includes Whole Foods, who stopped using plastic shopping bags. Tiny cupcakes in some plastic coffin when some cardboard container would serve as well. I've just stopped buying a number of things because of this increasing use of plastic containers.
I notice all the packaging too! I make most of my food from scratch, but still often buy salsas or guacamole in plastic containers for convenience, and I am not always comfortable with that, knowing I could make these at home. I also try not to get food-to-go at restaurants anymore, but to eat in the restaurant, to save the packaging. But at home, I have a convenience addiction to Press n Seal, and Ziploc freezer bags, so I'm not sure if it even matters that I avoid most packaged food, it might all be a wash!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Scrap plastics to fuel and fabrics is quite possible, and probable. And is being done in some countries. Others burn it (cleanly) for energy and using ash for land reclamation.

But for China... too much is too much!

The world will get it together (as economically feasible).

Oil is too cheap (at the moment)

Old 02-11-2018, 04:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
China with the help of our gov. have created this import of plastics and cheap crap. Now they complain.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Yeah, maybe China is forming its policy based on its own self-interest. Who do you think they learned that from.

I think the Chinese invented the concept....at least they've been doing it for decades at our expense.

I was watching that cable show about looking for treasure on Oak Island. Using a metal detector, they found a crucifix of lead buried in the mud for 800 years, linking the site to the Knights Templar.

I got to thinking: unless someone invents a "plastics detector," our civilization may remain unknown to future archeologists. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living