Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,937,174 times

Advertisements

I'm a crunchy, granola, treehugger. I drive a prius, don't use much a/c in my home, all CF bulbs, well water, I grow a huge organic garden, I raise chickens, my grass has weeds-no toxic chemicals used on my property, I use my own totes when shopping, I reduce, reuse & recycle and many other things. My boss however is a wealthy guy that lives in a big climate controlled, vinyl house, he has a total of 5 vehicles between him & his wife-he just traded in an expedition(14mpg) for a more fuel effeciant sedan, his family buys enough single serve plastic containers to support a third world country & many other wasteful over the top things.

I like to nag him about being socially/environmentally responsible(he traded in his truck after much pressure from me and rising fuel costs)

So here's the question, I mentioned that my DH & I put all of the twigs & branches that had fallen on or property over the winter(mostly oak) in our firepit & burnt them. My boss says that is terrible for the environment & much worse than driving an SUV.
I know many people trying to live off-grid or green use wood as their primary heat source & I've always viewed that as acceptable.

Do you think burning wood is a bad choice for green living?
Have you found any info online to support wood burning or info that says its a bad choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
OH, please. Think of it this way...Nature, God, will take care of the earth regardless of anything you do or don't do. Natural fires are an essential part of nature (some trees can't even germinate until the seed cover is burned off in a fire). So basically I'm saying your boss is about as correct as a nonbiodegradable polypropinate.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
Well, green wood does put off more creosote than seasoned wood, and it's much less energy-efficient in terms of heat production because much of the energy it produces is used up getting rid of the moisture. Plus, it makes more smoke than seasoned wood. But I don't know that it's worse than driving an SUV, or better.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,439,392 times
Mercury laden CFL's are 100000 times worse than the energy you use when using a standard bulb.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,903 times
From the US Dept. of Energy
Wood-burning appliances and fireplaces may emit large quantities of air pollutants. Wood smoke contains hundreds of chemical compounds including nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, organic gases, and particulate matter, many of which have adverse health effects. In many urban and rural areas, smoke from wood burning is a major contributor to air pollution. Because of this, some municipalities restrict wood heating appliance use when the local air quality reaches unacceptable levels. Others restrict or ban the installation of wood-burning appliances in new construction. Before installing a wood-burning system, you should contact your local building codes department, state energy office, or state environmental agency about wood-burning regulations that may apply in your area.
I have no idea how an SUV compares to a wood fire. Automobiles do have some sort of pollution controls, open fire pits do not, of course if we were to add up all the pollution that is created to build and transport an SUV before anyone even drives it.........It is very tough to compare it all.
I get the feeling neither is probably the best choice but we can all only try and do what we can and you are certainly doing more than a lot of folks!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,758,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Mercury laden CFL's are 100000 times worse than the energy you use when using a standard bulb.
Two tidbits that blow that arguement:
Although they make up only 19% of power generation in Canada,[42] Coal power plants are "the largest uncontrolled industrial source of mercury emissions in Canada".[43]

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (when coal power is used) the mercury released from powering an incandescent lamp for five years exceeds the total of (a) the mercury released by powering a comparably luminous CFL for the same period and (b) the mercury contained in the lamp.[44]

My source is just wikipedia: Compact fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but look at reference 43 and 44 for more info.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,439,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Two tidbits that blow that arguement:
Although they make up only 19% of power generation in Canada,[42] Coal power plants are "the largest uncontrolled industrial source of mercury emissions in Canada".[43]

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (when coal power is used) the mercury released from powering an incandescent lamp for five years exceeds the total of (a) the mercury released by powering a comparably luminous CFL for the same period and (b) the mercury contained in the lamp.[44]

My source is just wikipedia: Compact fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but look at reference 43 and 44 for more info.

Wait until one explodes in your house. Most people I talk to that use CFL's are only using them to save money. They do not know that they should be treated as hazardous waste and disposed of accordingly (like everyday batteries). So they think they just throw them in the trash when they burn out. LED lights are the way to go, but they can potentially last forever so manufacturers are not as quick to produce them.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 PM

The same has been true of any type of fluorescent for years.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I like to nag him about being socially/environmentally responsible(he traded in his truck after much pressure from me and rising fuel costs)
And he hasn't fired you yet... What a kind person!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And he hasn't fired you yet... What a kind person!
Some people actually have fun, friendly relationships with their bosses

My previous boss was that way. I miss him. Best boss I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living