Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:38 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,064,886 times

Advertisements

Ok, the news that the pacific ocean is filling up with mankind's garbage is not news to all. However, it's really getting to be a shameful mess now.

Where the heck are all the salvage companies at to gather and reclaim this floating gold mine waiting for the taking???

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...xas-2018-03-23

Last edited by Retired in Illinois; 03-28-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,894,893 times
There is a Dutch company working on this "problem" but as always a lot of red tape and other BS slowing them down.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,795,985 times
It’s not bs. Nearly every fish and invertebrate in the ocean goes through a stage called meroplankton when they are a tiny drifting organism and become a member of the plastisphere for a key portion of their life. If we just go in and scoop up your “goldmine” we could literally destroy the entire ecosystem. Not just the plastisphere but have cascading effects through out he entire ocean.

I know all the armchair scientist online think they know more than literally all the oceanographer,s ecologists and ocean engineers dedicated to this problem, but it’s really just Dunning Kruger at its finest.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 AM

How does it come to be that your observations indicate Dunning–Kruger effect ?????

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence?????? "

Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
How does it come to be that your observations indicate Dunning–Kruger effect ?????

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence?????? "
Because someone who has almost no working knowledge of a field frequently over estimates their knowledge of said field. As in the posts that suggest it is bs preventing people from harvesting the “gold mine” of the great garbage patch. The notion that those who have spent their entire lives studying the ocean and pollution would have thought about “scooping it up”. The issue is much more complicated than you are pretending it is.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because someone who has almost no working knowledge of a field frequently over estimates their knowledge of said field. As in the posts that suggest it is bs preventing people from harvesting the “gold mine” of the great garbage patch. The notion that those who have spent their entire lives studying the ocean and pollution would have thought about “scooping it up”. The issue is much more complicated than you are pretending it is.
I asked a question in my OP. I did not make a statement on based on deep knowledge on the topic. If I did I wouldn't have asked the question because I would already know the answer.

But I didn't insult anyone along the way................

Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I asked a question in my OP. I did not make a statement on based on deep knowledge on the topic. If I did I wouldn't have asked the question because I would already know the answer.

But I didn't insult anyone along the way................
Cool. So now you have learned two things. First, why we can’t just go scoop up the plastic, and second that maybe you shouldn’t assume you have the answer as in “where are all the salvagers scooping up the gold mine”. Most people who are uninformed about a topic start with why questions.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 PM

21,625 posts, read 8,787,204 times
I was hoping the Chinese space junk would land on the ocean trash and incinerate it.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Cool. So now you have learned two things. First, why we can’t just go scoop up the plastic, and second that maybe you shouldn’t assume you have the answer as in “where are all the salvagers scooping up the gold mine”. Most people who are uninformed about a topic start with why questions.
I think the OP (and us) learned a 3rd lesson.....that you are not a pleasant person and incapable of getting a point across without sounding like a jerk; not saying you are, just that your posts above make you sound like one.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:38 PM

17,673 posts, read 17,865,957 times
How much of this was garbage tossed into the ocean from ships and shore and how much is from earthquakes and tsunamis? Both Navy ships I was on in the 90s were very strict about plastic trash not being thrown from the ship. Trash like plastic and chemicals were held on the ship until next port visit. Some ships had a plastic compression machine that heated and pressed plastic trash into a round disc making it easy to handle and store for longer periods of time.

Considering the current size of the pile, this could become a shipping navigation issue and needs to be addressed soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living