Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

I dry my laundry outside. Instead of hanging on a line, I use drying racks. They are wood racks with dowels where you lay the clothes on the dowel or hang on the dowel without the need for clothes pins. the racks are about 3-4' high and wide. they fold ( like an accordian )for storage when not in use.

Currently we have 2 large wood drying racks. We want another one, but cannot find them in any local stores. Does anyone know where we can buy more drying racks onine or in a store? Would prefer PVC or plastic this time around. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am in an HOA and there is a no-no to hanging laundry outside. I have two bathrooms and the second one is seldom used. I put up a couple clothes lines and a wooden rack in the tub to dry my clothes. To soften my clothes I purchased Dyer Balls at Chinamart and run my dryer on fluff/air dry for about 20-30 minutes. My clothes come out soft, including towels, and I used no softner or heat in the process.
Another benefit to hanging clothes inside to dry in the winter is that it increases the humidity.

I really don't understand why it is such a big deal to have a clothesline in the back yard of a home that you purchase, with your money, yet you have to follow some one elses rules.

I get not doing stuff in the front of the house as to keep the neighborhood looking nice. But in a back yard which isn't viseable from the front it seems really retarded that someone will say you are not allowed to hang clothes outside in the sunshine to dry your clothes, you must use a dryer, and use your electricity/gas, even though maybe you even live in an extremelly hot climate....

see how stupid this rule seems..

i know it isnt your fault.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Does anyone know where we can buy more drying racks onine or in a store? Would prefer PVC or plastic this time around. Thanks
I have several large sturdy plastic-coated wire utility shelves that we use for drying, they are mostly empty. For 2 people & small loads it's enough. Plus, they are useful at any time, unlike a drying rack.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
When i was a kid in the UK i loved to see the washing blowing on the washing line in the sun it signalled spring was here.I have never used a drier. I still hang the washing outdoors even now, no laws about it here in Oz.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 PM

309 posts, read 427,640 times
I will only use a clothes dryer in the winter when I can no longer hang laundry outside due to weather. A problem I've been having with the line though is the line keeps falling down. I hope this latest fix will be the last because it is frustrating putting wet clothes on the line only to have it fall to the ground. I never used to have this problem so I don't know what the deal is. At any rate, I love hanging clothes on the line, it is relaxing ritual for me and there is nothing better than the smell of clothes dried outside, delicious! Saving energy costs is just an added benefit.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
SD - what are you using for cloths pins? Are you using any? IIRC the cloths line has to be very firmy fastened at both ends with intermediate supports hooking the bottom line to the top. It also has to be kept very tight.

As I said our condo rules prohibit lines and drying racks outside. Those rules were made in the mid 70's when the appearance of wealth was more important than the fact. I guess that has not changed.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Actually, I do both. I put just about everything in the dryer for five or so minutes. Then I take the garments out and hang them on hangers. I then hang them outside on the line. The really hard spin-cycle wrinkles are gone and I get the nice fresh smell of line-dried. I hang my personal pretties on clip hangers and hang them inside. My neighbors already know too much about me.

In the winter, when it's too cold to hang them outside, I have lines in the basement.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
I hang just about everything outside (in nice weather) except for undies and towels. LOVE that fresh outdoor smell, especially on sheets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living