Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,690,942 times

Advertisements

Just reading this about the head of the U.K. nuclear program stated that the head of the U.S. nuclear commision told her that the 3 Nuclear Reactors have been approved to built in the USA.

U.S. Will Approve New Nuclear Reactors: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,189,189 times
Are you saying this is a bad thing?

I don't understand what people have against nuclear energy. It isn't exactly green energy, but it is efficient.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,651,697 times
Hopefully they will approve a lot more in the very near future. Nuclear is far more efficient than anything else available at this time and produces far less pollution than coal plants.

I'd call this a step in the right direction. Now if we could just get everyone to realize the sham that most biofuels are, we'd be doing even better. They use more energy in their production than they produce, and they also put a strain on food supplies worldwide. We need more electric and hydrogen research and development. Geothermal is also a very good option, although not viable all over the country.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,189,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Hopefully they will approve a lot more in the very near future. Nuclear is far more efficient than anything else available at this time and produces far less pollution than coal plants.

I'd call this a step in the right direction. Now if we could just get everyone to realize the sham that most biofuels are, we'd be doing even better. They use more energy in their production than they produce, and they also put a strain on food supplies worldwide. We need more electric and hydrogen research and development. Geothermal is also a very good option, although not viable all over the country.
I agree. Not to mention, there haven't been many deaths that were caused by nuclear energy, despite what people say to make nuclear energy look dangerous. Nuclear and bomb don't go hand in hand. The only time that people died from a problem with nuclear energy was that explosion in the Ukraine back in the 80's. The thing is, their reactor was a piece of junk even when you compare it to the nuclear reactors of that time. People die mining all the time, but nobody seems to have a problem with that. Nuclear energy isn't what peope make it out to be. Numerous studies have shown that living near a nuclear power plant has no effect on your health.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,415,687 times
I think a few new refineries should be considered also...and more nuke plants... I live near one myself, and don't glow much at night at all

Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
I think we should develop a set of fission reactors that could replace the coal fired boilers at existing power plants and continue to use the existing turbines, generators and switchyards. In effect just replace the teakettles.

Nuclear power, when built with complete fuel recovery and recycle, can become a perpetual electrical supply system. In addition to the currently operating uranium mines there is a potential to recover the uranium concentrated in the fly ash pits of existing coal fired facilities.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,400,514 times
they should be focusing on pebble bed reactors. Those seem to be the best form of nuclear plants.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

592 posts, read 2,248,844 times
Just a question, how many of you folks have ever worked in any of these places ?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM

272 posts, read 1,005,056 times
Its about time, now lets get out there and drill for more oil,

Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,457,225 times
It's better than coal, even "clean coal". Nuclear power plants are one of the many reasons some European countries are more energy efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living