Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,258,447 times

Advertisements

By the way.. I dont want to take away from the great info and history Mircea is bringing up on the glacial and interglacial periods. Mircea pointed out that we are headed for a warming period just through the normal cycles and all the things he mentioned will happen regardless. Its just the rate of change that is alarming (among a long list of other things..).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 03:24 PM

One more look at the "warming happened in the past so it must be happening now regardless of the human influence" idea.

I wondered where in the cycle of warm to cool periods or glacial to interglacial cycle the planet is now as this should give some indication of whether we are heading into some crazy warm period and should expect the rapid increase in temp we have seen. Turns out we are not heading into some crazy warm period and instead would have naturally been heading into some sort of ice age beginning in about 5000 years.

From this link http://clivebest.com/blog/?p=2775

Quote:
For the last 600,000 years Ice Ages have followed a 100,000 year cycle coinciding with the Milankowitz cycle

The Earth’s climate appears currently to be in a highly unstable state, with sawtooth-like oscillations every 100,000 years flipping between long glaciations and shorter warm inter-glacial periods. The onset of a new Ice Age is a gradual process ending when temperatures reach a lower limit flipping back rapidly to a warmer phase for 10-20,000 years. The fits demonstrate that the driver for this instability are the two cycles – eccentricity and obliquity

Below is a figure from this page. The black line shows the parameter delta 018 and when its high represents colder temperatures and a glacier period.

The blue line is the sum of the Milankowitz Eccentricity and Oblicity cycles which are the primary drivers of glacier to interglacier periods.

When the blue line (Milankowitz) line goes high, it tends to indicate a cold period.

Right now we are at the peak of the warm and would be naturally heading towards another ice age. Note that the present and future times are to the left in graph.

Quote:
It is found that the Earth is currently at its maximum interglacial global temperature and will start cooling within the next 2-5000 years. 20,000 years from now the Earth will likely be in the depths of another major Ice Age.
Anther look at this subject from this link Global Warming Natural Cycle — OSS Foundation

Here is another plot that shows we "were" about to turn the corner to a colder period. The blue line being high represent warmer periods and low colder periods. CO2 is shown also (red) and you can see that in the past, it "followed" temperature changes. Not the case now as we have artificially and exponentially increased the CO2 level.

Bottom line.. Sure it was warmer "sometime" in the past but you really have to look at when that happened and what was going on with the sun cycles at the time. It looks to me that in the near future time frame, we should not be expecting some weird dramatic temperature increase.

If you want to feel good about something.. maybe our dumping CO2 green house gas into the atmosphere actually countering a cooling trend but apparently we are going to WAY over do things.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
By the way.. I dont want to take away from the great info and history Mircea is bringing up on the glacial and interglacial periods. Mircea pointed out that we are headed for a warming period just through the normal cycles and all the things he mentioned will happen regardless. Its just the rate of change that is alarming (among a long list of other things..).
Is it really alarming to you? Why?

You can't control it. You can move somewhere that you feel may be safer and not as "alarming."

Old 09-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Is it really alarming to you? Why?

You can't control it. You can move somewhere that you feel may be safer and not as "alarming."
Several different conversations going on here.. Hope you dont mind but this is one I dont wish to particulate in.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,238 times
Default How About Fixing The Earth Problem With Emailed Gifts?

If emailed gifts replace the normal way we do holiday gift shopping this would make the place called Earth a better or healthier place ?

Whats your feedback to make earth a better place ?

Old 09-14-2018, 01:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,459,131 times
"Whats your feedback to make earth a better place ?"

Vote Republican.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:00 PM

7,307 posts, read 5,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
"Whats your feedback to make earth a better place ?"

Vote Republican.

That's more accurate than you probably think.

World temps go up for a few yrs, then down for a few yrs cyclically. It seems they go up during Democrat presidencies and down during Republican: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/09/...limate-change/

HadCRUT4 (°C) from 1989, grouped by US President.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:44 AM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Several different conversations going on here.. Hope you dont mind but this is one I dont wish to particulate in.
I welcome your participation but no one is forcing you,

Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Sort of funny..

Fox news had Dr Roy Spencer ( "the Fox News climate scientist") here https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/09/...news-and-mine/

Roy Spencer said that hits by major hurricanes has gone down by 50% since the 1930's and 1940's.

They mention that anyone can check the numbers..

Well.. I did. You can find the data here https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/image...otalsTable.pdf

I picked a 20 year period between 1930 and 1950 and compared the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes to the 20 year period between 1994 and 2014.

1930 to 1950 had 115 hurricanes and 45 major hurricanes

1994 to 2014 had 153 hurricanes and 67 major hurricanes.

Using the math I learned in grade school (vs Fox news math),

it looks like that hurricanes have gone up by 33% in recent years vs 1930 to 1950

Major hurricanes have gone UP by 48% in recent years vs 1930 to 1950

You really need to fact check everything. Its disappointing that someone I should be able to trust is willing to distort things.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM

7,307 posts, read 5,189,207 times
Quote:
Sort of funny..

Fox news had Dr Roy Spencer ( "the Fox News climate scientist") here https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/09/...news-and-mine/

Roy Spencer said that hits by major hurricanes has gone down by 50% since the 1930's and 1940's.

They mention that anyone can check the numbers..

Well.. I did. You can find the data here https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/image...otalsTable.pdf

I picked a 20 year period between 1930 and 1950 and compared the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes to the 20 year period between 1994 and 2014.

1930 to 1950 had 115 hurricanes and 45 major hurricanes

1994 to 2014 had 153 hurricanes and 67 major hurricanes.

Using the math I learned in grade school (vs Fox news math),

it looks like that hurricanes have gone up by 33% in recent years vs 1930 to 1950

Major hurricanes have gone UP by 48% in recent years vs 1930 to 1950

You really need to fact check everything. Its disappointing that someone I should be able to trust is willing to distort things.

Cherry picking.

Go by 50 yr periods and the rate has fallen by 20%.(Remember- there's a 60 yr weather cycle. Choosing a time frame less than that only gives partial data.) Last 30 yrs has also seen fewer Cat IV & V storms. Also note, the data you cited was for The Atlantic Storm Basin. Many of the storms reported over the last 50 yrs- the satellite era- never made landfall. Before satellites, we had very poor reporting from ships at sea. Many more storms probably existed but were not reported.

Storm intensity is determined by air pressure differences, not temp differences- a point ignored by those with an agenda. Ever do the "hot air convection detector" experiment in 3rd grade? Hot air rises-- slowly. Check the isobar weather map--when the bars are packed closely (ie- high pressure gradient) winds blow faster. Pretty basic meteorology.

If you're going to use science, use it correctly. If you don't, it's pseudo-science.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 09-17-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living