Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times

Advertisements

For a summer home in SW Washington I wonder if off-grid is practical. Approximately 140 days a year are considered "sunny' mostly summer. Electricity would be 2000 ft away..

How is storage? Can enough be stored during winter to help with summer usage? We are talking two people two dogs maybe 1200 sq ft. The house would be on a moutain/hill maybe 700 ft above sea level.

It seems the options get better/ cheaper each year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
NO.

I have a off-grid home on the east slopes of the Cascades. It has been going for 20 years now.

There is no way that you can store enough energy during the summer months to carry you through winter.

From March 21st through October 15th I generate enough power to run the house strictly on solar.

The rest of the year the generator runs pretty much every couple of days.

My "green, solar house" generates much more carbon emissions due to propane and wood to heat the home than a totally electric grid connected house in Chelan County.

Solar works for the space station and off-grid applications. Otherwise, it is pretty much a scam.

But I wouldn't trade my off-grid house for a grid connected home. As they say location, location, location. If it is a special location, accept the carbon trade-off and build the solar house anyway.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times
thanks-- I would be storing in winter- living there summers.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Oh....missed that.

At this point...you can't store significant amounts of energy with batteries for home use.

Lifestyle?? How many electrical toys?? Are you going to be pumping water from a well??

It is fairly easy to have a solar system through the summer in the Northwest. Probably even in western Washington. The long days make all the difference in the world.

At the turn of the century there was a great book on a off-grid house. I can't remember the title, but worth finding. It was published in California out of Hopland?? Worth finding.

If your just doing summer...go for it.

I run a two-bedroom, two bath home on a 1.5 Kw system. Like I said totally solar from March through mid-October.

But I have lived in rural areas and pretty conscious of energy use. Anyway, doable for summer months if your willing to be careful with your use of energy.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
For a summer home in SW Washington I wonder if off-grid is practical. Approximately 140 days a year are considered "sunny' mostly summer. Electricity would be 2000 ft away..

How is storage? Can enough be stored during winter to help with summer usage? We are talking two people two dogs maybe 1200 sq ft. The house would be on a moutain/hill maybe 700 ft above sea level.

It seems the options get better/ cheaper each year..
Where exactly? If you are talking Portland/Vancouver area, yes, an off-grid summer home will work. Plenty of solar gain in the summer. Closer to the coast, it will be trickier and require specialized engineering, which may not be cost-effective for your purposes. Google “passive annual heat storage homes”.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:29 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
If you're only there in the summer, just generate the juice at that time. To generate electricity in the winter for use in the summer, you would have a storage problem, like- where are you going to store all the batteries that would be required?

Clouds make a huge difference in solar energy matters. A few yrs ago, I made a 6' x 5' passive solar heater as an experiment. On a cold winter day in Chicago (outside temp 2degF) with cloudless sky, the air coming out of the panel would be 105degF (!). But the next day, as just a few puffy cumulus clouds appeared and temps rose to 20deg, generated air temp fell to 30-ish, and then as the next front moved in and covered the sky with clouds and temps outside rose to 30s, no heat was captured at all.

That info can be extrapolated to PV effect generally speaking....studies show that in areas outside the Sunbelt, solar installations only average about 1/3rd the "boiler plate" generation capacity. It's just a matter of sizing your installation appropriately for your location.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
We use solar power for our home in Maine.

Living on solar power is a big shift in lifestyle. It is not good for heating or cooking, but it is good for lighting, fans and computers.

On sunny days our battery bank can be fully charged by noon. On those days, we have surplus power to run all our home appliances and all my power tools.

As soon as the sun sets, or on cloudy days, we must be very careful of what gets turned on.

We live in a state that is over 92% forest, most homes in our area all burn firewood for home heating. We heat with wood and we get a little heat from solar thermal panels.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
You should check with local solar companies. They will have operational data for your ara and can tell you how much energy you can expect to get from your panels. Just a caution solar panels are degraded when exposed to sunlight but sitting open circuited. You'll want to leave some loads connected in the winter so that something will absorb the energy.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:22 PM

44 posts, read 52,540 times
509, I'm curious. Would you be in a better position if you added wind or if running water is near enough hydro?

I know the area well (Gods I miss home!) I would think wind might be a good possibility for you?

Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"I wonder if off-grid is practical."
this depends upon your practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living