Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,233,574 times

Advertisements

I noticed the OP dropped out of sight. Post and run I guess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,646,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
I don't just mean those actively destroying nature, including the false-green crowd. Crimes of apathy are committed every day, like not wanting to walk 100 feet to dump used oil in a receptacle because a storm drain is so close. Or sitting there on Facebook for 20 minutes with the engine running.
There's always somebody who thinks we don't have enough laws, regulations, and restrictions against us already, and that we need more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPyHrPZbVM

Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,369,752 times
the problem here is that for every person within the environmental and urban planning constituencies who is sincerely concerned over the long-term costs of short-sight, there is one hooked on the prospect of greater authority and power, to (supposedly) be used for some hard-to-define "greater common good". And it is the latter group who are far better-schooled in the art of realpolitik. -- the manipulation of the usually-shallow concerns of the impressionable in order to build an expanding, but not-very-effective bureaucracy.

The present controversy over "climate change" (a serious, but hard-to-quantify issue), morphed into "global warming" by emotional cuddly-polar-bear appeals, selective use of statistics, and "climate scientists" who recognize the prospect of large gains in both social and financial position if they ere ensconced as "experts" illustrates this perfectly.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:20 AM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
I can agree that pumping corrosive crude oil [tar sands] through temporary pipelines, over rivers and through delicate eco-systems, is harming our planet and our society. Protests against these hazards like the 'Dakota Access Pipeline protest' should be encouraged, and should not be made illegal.

Just as constructing a Municipal Solid Waste incinerator/landfill in the middle of a peat bog that drains into a river is a bad idea [I recently participated in a series of public hearings that denied our garbage company from building one of these monsters, on land adjacent to my farm].

Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 PM

7,321 posts, read 5,205,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I can agree that pumping corrosive crude oil [tar sands] through temporary pipelines, over rivers and through delicate eco-systems, is harming our planet and our society..

No, mishaps on pipelines could cause harm, but are very rare. RR tanker transport is much more likely to cause damage to people and environment-- many incidents, including deaths of people have occurred.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember the TreeHuggers whining about the building of the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline in the early '70s. NONE of the fears have come to pass in these 43 yrs of its operation.

Benefits far outweigh risks.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:47 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
My understanding is that Alaskan oil is entirely different from tar sands oil.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,982,979 times
my Mother's mousetrap.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:09 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,613,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
So what's the punishment?

Who polices it?

I'm a little confused.....

The guilty should be exiled to North Dakota, where trashing the environment is a way of life.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,082,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
There's always somebody who thinks we don't have enough laws, regulations, and restrictions against us already, and that we need more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPyHrPZbVM
What makes that video hysterical, is that it is from 2010 and promotes Audi turbodiesel tech., which was before VW (who owns Audi) got caught with its pants down buggering planet earth via "dieselgate". Watch a John Cadogan video (www.autoexpert.com.au) for his opinion on VW environmental malfeasance, which ranks up there with the (GM?) chemist who developed tetraethyl lead antiknock compounds in gasoline. He absolutely sends them through the ringer for their disregard for human health and safety, likening them to the actual "Nazi's" every chance he gets. Plus, he's comical, if you like that laughing stuff.

To the post, Planet Earth will do just fine, but I'm not so sure about its human and other animal species inhabitants, with the next Great Extinction soon playing at a theatre near you. Oh, well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:51 AM

7,321 posts, read 5,205,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
What makes that video hysterical, is that it is from 2010 and promotes Audi turbodiesel tech., which was before VW (who owns Audi) got caught with its pants down buggering planet earth via "dieselgate". Watch a John Cadogan video (www.autoexpert.com.au) for his opinion on VW environmental malfeasance, which ranks up there with the (GM?) chemist who developed tetraethyl lead antiknock compounds in gasoline. He absolutely sends them through the ringer for their disregard for human health and safety, likening them to the actual "Nazi's" every chance he gets. Plus, he's comical, if you like that laughing stuff.

To the post, Planet Earth will do just fine, but I'm not so sure about its human and other animal species inhabitants, with the next Great Extinction soon playing at a theatre near you. Oh, well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Several points:

Next Great Extinction? With one million species on the planet and an average species duration of 1 million yrs, we would expect 1 extinction per. In fact, we only know of 200 extinctions in the last 4 hundred yrs-- HALF the expected rate. We're finding several new species every year. We're gaining 'em faster than we're losing 'em.

Re: Pb in gasoline-- gone for 40 yrs now-- no improvement in IQ scores. Pb in gasoline is exhausted from an ICE as a very large molecule chelated with four short chained carbon moieties-- breathed in and breathed out, too large to be absorbed, ie- causes NO lung damage. Without the lead, those short chained carbon molecules ARE potentially carcinogenic. (Adding Pb to gasoline was one of the most expensive steps in the production process. It was BigOil that led the lobbying effort to remove it.) Thanks, EPA, for protecting us so well.

Re: EPA exhaust regs--ZERO scientific evidence to support their regs. They pull the numbers out of their bureaucratic a--, um, thin air.

As an example- the head of the German Pulmonology Society says the recently increase in Diesel car restrictions are based on false data, statistical tricks and erroneous conclusions-- https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschl...nschuldig.html That's been rather obvious to me as I've read the political documents masquerading as medical research over the last 30 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living