Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

I’ve been shaving with a safety or double edge razor. Replacement blades are cheaper and sharper than disposable heads or disposable razors. Plus the only plastic is the Finley case that the blades come in and it acts as a protective case to dispose of the used blades.

Another old tech is to go back to bar soap and wash cloth instead of body wash and plastic material disposable bath poof.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
It seems to me that a new technology should supplant an old one when it meets at least one of three of the following criteria, without any major negative effects on the other two: [a} improves outcomes (2) is easier/more convenient, and {C} is cheaper.

In regards the specific case of shaving: safety razors were a huge improvement over straight razors-- MUCH safer (in a day when there were no antibiotics and a nick from shaving could wind up killing you). They gave a faster, better shave and didn't require the larger capital outlay for razor & strop....Then came the double-blade plastic disposables ~40 y/a-- fewer nicks, closer shave. I don't know if they're any cheaper or not. I haven't bought a safety razor blade in 40 yrs.

Let's look at something more negatively impressive about technology: The Germans came up with the VolksWagen (Peoples Car) 85y/a. It got 20 mpg, sat 4, used exhaust heat to defrost windows & heat cabin. Four guys could pick it up and move it if you got stuck. Windows opened/close reliably with a hand crank. They were super-easy to keep tuned & to repair. We used to keep a rebuilt one in our shop as replacement. When one came in for major repairs, we could remove the old and replace it with the newly rebuilt one in 20 minutes, then take our time easily rebuilding the old one...oh-- and cheap to buy new or used.

What has technology wrought us: environmentally meaningless results from adding thousands of dollars of electronic sensors, computers & fuel injection systems driving the cost of a new car well out the reach of modest wage earners and ridiculously high maintenance & repair costs., while 20mpg still remains to be the norm. (Remember the Geo? It got 50mpg 30 y/s ago, but the govt regs put them out of production....The only advantage newer cars have is that they're easier to start in cold weather. That could have been accomplished with pretty cheap improvements in ignition spark. BTW- almost all of the improved fuel economy has been attained by making smaller engines and lighter cars, not the high tech engine changes.

Yes, newer cars have reduced exhaust emissions. Has that caused less disease or habitat destruction? No- it's meaningless govt diversionary tactics.

Your heart's in the right place. You may be interested in this site: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/

Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It seems to me that a new technology should supplant an old one when it meets at least one of three of the following criteria, without any major negative effects on the other two: [a} improves outcomes (2) is easier/more convenient, and {C} is cheaper.

In regards the specific case of shaving: safety razors were a huge improvement over straight razors-- MUCH safer (in a day when there were no antibiotics and a nick from shaving could wind up killing you). They gave a faster, better shave and didn't require the larger capital outlay for razor & strop....Then came the double-blade plastic disposables ~40 y/a-- fewer nicks, closer shave. I don't know if they're any cheaper or not. I haven't bought a safety razor blade in 40 yrs.

Let's look at something more negatively impressive about technology: The Germans came up with the VolksWagen (Peoples Car) 85y/a. It got 20 mpg, sat 4, used exhaust heat to defrost windows & heat cabin. Four guys could pick it up and move it if you got stuck. Windows opened/close reliably with a hand crank. They were super-easy to keep tuned & to repair. We used to keep a rebuilt one in our shop as replacement. When one came in for major repairs, we could remove the old and replace it with the newly rebuilt one in 20 minutes, then take our time easily rebuilding the old one...oh-- and cheap to buy new or used.

What has technology wrought us: environmentally meaningless results from adding thousands of dollars of electronic sensors, computers & fuel injection systems driving the cost of a new car well out the reach of modest wage earners and ridiculously high maintenance & repair costs., while 20mpg still remains to be the norm. (Remember the Geo? It got 50mpg 30 y/s ago, but the govt regs put them out of production....The only advantage newer cars have is that they're easier to start in cold weather. That could have been accomplished with pretty cheap improvements in ignition spark. BTW- almost all of the improved fuel economy has been attained by making smaller engines and lighter cars, not the high tech engine changes.

Yes, newer cars have reduced exhaust emissions. Has that caused less disease or habitat destruction? No- it's meaningless govt diversionary tactics.

Your heart's in the right place. You may be interested in this site: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/
At one store I can get a 10 pack of double edge razors for close to $7. If I go online I can get the blades for even cheaper per blade by buying a box of over a hundred blades. The razor handle never needs replacing

Old 01-23-2019, 03:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve been shaving with a safety or double edge razor.
Replacement blades are cheaper and sharper than disposable heads or disposable razors.
Do you have a slot in the back of your medicine cabinet to dispose the old ones?

Quote:
Another old tech is to go back to bar soap and wash cloth ...
When did this change as the norm? (Mine is Ivory btw)
How long has 'bodywash' as a product line even existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHi0AMNiHH4

Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Yeah, I can't even imagine who thinks it's somehow better to use "bodywash" than "soap".

Back when I was restoring cars, sometimes I would get so greasy all over my body that I would have to take a shower with Tide laundry powder to get the grease off. Now THAT will tingle! Tide powder is about the best thing to get grease off your hands, other than the products intended specifically for that.

I am torn about the safety razor vs. three blade expensive doohickey. I basically never ever nick or cut myself with the fancypants one, and I have to be really careful with the safety razor.

I have never even heard of a "plastic material disposable bath poof". WTF?

Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I've been using a Gillette Mach 3 razor handle I got as a free sample by mail I guess close to 20 years ago. Every now and then Dollar General will have their version of the Mach 3 razor cartridges for $1. Last time they were that price I bought 10 packs of, I think, 5 cartridges. I don't change mine that often, mainly because I don't shave that often, so these DG cartridges should last me a long time.
A helpful hint I read in Hints from Heloise that used to be in newspapers a long time ago is, when you buy a bar of soap, take it out of the package as soon as you get it and let it dry out. (You'll see the cracks in it) A dried out bar of soap will last a lot longer than one right out of the package and it makes your bathroom smell fresher.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
I don't know what "body wash" is either, but there's nothing new under the sun.

The ancient Roman were really big into The Baths. They would bathe by smearing olive oil all over themselves.- that would dissolve the body oils that provide us with our aroma- then scrape it off with a curved stick of wood or bronze, then jump in the heated pools.

Then someone came up with soap-- the salt of fatty acids-- made by combining lye- NaOH- with animal fat-- glycerin + 3 fatty acids. Does the same thing as the olive oil, but is itself more soluble in water than oil.

Body wash has got to be some variation of that- oily solvent + some water soluble moiety-- really just liquid soap.

So, if you really want to go low tech & natural-- go back to olive oil and a scraper.

Before the 1940s, the most common way to clean your teeth was to use a little Arm & Hammer baking soda and your finger. (Take note that the tooth brush was invented in Kentucky...If it had been invented someplace else, it would have been called the teeth brush.)

Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I paid $6 for straight razor in 1980. I used it until 2001 when my son was using it and dropped it on a ceramic tile floor, which shattered the blade. That was the year I retired, so I stopped shaving. Get a good razor and it can last you a lifetime.

https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-stonewashed-razor

https://www.smkw.com/marbles-razor-6...de-model-mr319

https://www.smkw.com/frost-cutlery-s...ad-on-me-razor

https://www.smkw.com/frost-cutlery-s...rn-pride-razor

https://www.smkw.com/old-forge-ram-s-horn-razor

https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-kin...e-forest-razor

https://www.smkw.com/frost-cutlery-v...o-razor-yellow

https://www.smkw.com/smooth-natural-...damascus-razor

https://www.smkw.com/hen-rooster-blu...straight-razor

Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
I buy a razor because it gives me a good shave. The cost isn't enough to worry about. Currently I'm using Harry.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
or you could just grow a beard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living