Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM

212 posts, read 948,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've found that it depends on the bulb and am still trying to figure it out. I bought some that said "daylight" and they're hideous. We put them in a ceiling light fixture and joked that we could do surgery under them. Others have a warmer light and are much better. So, don't give up on them.

I'm still more worried about the mercury and the disposal of them than anything else.
Many retailers will accept the CFL bulbs for recycling. In the next few years, all municipalities and retailers will recycle them.

There is more mercury produced from coal-fired power plants than from CFLs. Every light in the country should be changed - if we changed every incandescent bulb, we could shut down many coal fired power plants.

LEDs will be the next best thing and are already available for home use. They will cost a little more, but use 90% less electricity and last for more than a decade. I use CFLs inside and outside and have never had one burn out; they supply excellent light. The only problem is those pesky chandelier bulbs. I haven't found one to replace mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
1 -- Are you lax like i [sic] am when it comes to Green Living ?
1 -- No. This planet is my home. I respect and love myself, so I treat my home with care. The choices we make prove what we value.

Quote:
2 -- I dont [sic] seperate [sic] out the plastic from the aluminum cans from the paper ..i [sic] would find it a bother to do so. I guess im [sic] one of those lax folks that [sic] would only comply if it were law. Should i [sic] be ashamed of myself ?
2 -- Yes, you should. Are you three years old that you need to be forced to treat yourself caringly?
Our behavior proves what we value, and do not value. And when we know better, we get to choose if we will do better...

Last edited by allforcats; 04-10-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
I guess you don't have children and care only about yourself. If everyone lived with your philosophy, this would be a very sad world.

You are in the minority. Most of us care about leaving the world a better place. We read, we think about important issues, we vote, we care about others, and we don't just brush off global warming as an insignificant 'natural cycle'.

You are obviously the product of bad parenting.
If some believes global warming is a natural phenomena, it has nothing to do with bad parenting. Sounds like you're at the cranky part of your "natural cycle."

Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 PM

212 posts, read 948,267 times
Default Selfish people

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If some believes global warming is a natural phenomena, it has nothing to do with bad parenting. Sounds like you're at the cranky part of your "natural cycle."
Zona: A lousy, selfish attitude about taking care of the planet is a sign of bad parenting; he obviously doesn't care about anyone but himself. What kind of world will our kids inherit if everyone thinks like that? Is that how you're raising your kids?

Cranky? More like angry that people like you and barkingowl don't see the seriously dangerous state our planet is in. If we don't all pitch in and reduce CO2 emissions, we are all screwed. Climate change is a problem we can fix, but not if we all sit on our asses and complain!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Zona: A lousy, selfish attitude about taking care of the planet is a sign of bad parenting; he obviously doesn't care about anyone but himself. What kind of world will our kids inherit if everyone thinks like that? Is that how you're raising your kids?

Cranky? More like angry that people like you and barkingowl don't see the seriously dangerous state our planet is in. If we don't all pitch in and reduce CO2 emissions, we are all screwed. Climate change is a problem we can fix, but not if we all sit on our asses and complain!
We are coming out of an ice age, how are you going to fix that?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I am hoarding incandescent light bulbs. I refuse to use those so called energy saving light bulbs. They cast an awful light.
I bought a three way that was supposed to equal, at it's highest setting, a 150 watt incandescent. Not. Used it for a month and finally put back the original. Unless they bump up the lumen's I'll be stockpiling incandescent right along with you. I'm not going blind for the environment, I want to see all the smog!

Quote:

Mr. Bush's parents should be ashamed of themselves.

When is your trip to China, Russia, India, etc planned? Once you're finished here you have a very steep uphill climb ahead of you.

To the OP: We recycle everything we can and it has to be separated. I know how much work it doesn't take to do it so I say you are just a lazy jerk and should be ashamed of yourself.

Let's all write to the makers of the CFL bulbs and ask for brighter bulbs!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
REPLY: Ive heard that just ONE major Volcano eruption equals approx. 100 years worth of harmful ozone emissions produced by humans and thier cars ; just think how many Volcano eruptions there are per day around the world . I think that puts into persepective what humans are contributing.
So that means what? That it's not worth making an effort?

If we look to everything external, we're going to feel a lack of control where nothing we do makes a difference...I recycle, but my neighbor doesn't, so why should I bother??!!

What you do, or don't do, does matter - it matters to all of us. It's not "your" planet, it's "our" planet (and the "our" expands beyond humans). So make a small effort, then make another and another and keep going...all the cool kids are doing it .

Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,731 times
I guess I'm "semi-green" (maybe Pale Mint Green instead of Forest Green? ) because I do some things but not others.

I recycle plastic bottles and containers; reuse any plastic grocery bags I may end up with; use manual or battery-powered tools rather than gas-powered (yes, yes, I know the battery ones still use energy but at my age the arms, legs and back just ain't what they used to be!!); don't use any pesticides, fertilizers or other chemicals on my property; turn lights off every time I leave a room; use dimmer switches to save electricity; and have mostly Energy Star appliances.

However, I don't use CF bulbs (I hate the color of the light they give off, it actually gives me a headache); don't have a compost pile (nowhere to really put it); and drive a car that uses Premium gas and gets an average of 20mpg (do not even TRY to separate me from my beloved Lexus, we've been together for over 100,000 miles!).

I don't feel guilty about my level of Green Commitment though. Heck, most of the people I know don't do anything more than recycle paper or glass or plastic. Our town has separate collections for them but doesn't REQUIRE us to separate; it's on a voluntary basis. You can put plastic or glass in with all your other garbage if you want, and it will go into the landfill with the rest of it. The only restriction we have is that the town will not collect grass clippings, ever. They will take leaves, brush, branches, etc but not clippings.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:35 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
I try to be a conscience of living green as I can. I am no way perfect at it. The amount of things we can do to go green seems endless. I do so many of the things people have already stated. Imo, unless we get everyone on board, whats the use. And I dont mean we shouldnt keep doing it. There are just so many people out there that think going green is a bunch of hog wash. Like there is no global warming. How can you get people to change their minds? Its not like the subject isnt discussed on a daily basis. Me personally, it disheartends me when I see young people throw crap out of their cars, or be eatting in a parking lot and leave all the trash right there...What are they thinking. Besides the fact that it is making our planet dirtier, it is just down right disrectful. I hate when I see someone littering. I have picked up others trash, only because I cant stand to see it...Ok I will stop blabbing now. I am not immune to being passionate about the subject.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So that means what? That it's not worth making an effort?

If we look to everything external, we're going to feel a lack of control where nothing we do makes a difference...I recycle, but my neighbor doesn't, so why should I bother??!!

What you do, or don't do, does matter - it matters to all of us. It's not "your" planet, it's "our" planet (and the "our" expands beyond humans). So make a small effort, then make another and another and keep going...all the cool kids are doing it .
I love that riveree. I guess we have to make it cool for kids to pay attention...sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living