Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times

Advertisements

We went to a local solar concert/festival this weekend. Everything was solar powered and they had booths set up with info on other green things. There was a booth that advertised solar power for rent. I thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd share.

The company works in conjunction w/the electric provider here (unfortunately, not my provider as I live a little further out of town). They install solar panels on your house according to the size, usage, etc. So, this way, you don't have a huge lump payment to make upfront.

I'm not completely sure how the billing works (I need to read more about it), but essentially your energy bill (between your solar rental and electricity provider) should decrease. The electric company uses "net metering" so they can see how much solar energy you use, and any above that is available for their usage. I'm thinking that's how the rental company makes their money. Because my electric provider doesn't offer net metering, this program is not available for me.

Again, I'm not entirely solid on the details (as you can probably tell), but it does seem like a good program for those wanting to make the switch to solar but not able to afford shelling our $10,000 +.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Any web sites on those brochures?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

47 posts, read 134,276 times
I saw one booth at a home improvement show and the company wanted to know if we had a minimum of $30,000 to invest before they'd let us participate. After doing the math, it would not be really worthwhile to install the panels and it would be hard to recoup the investment. I don't know if that's the case in every product or company but the more I look into it, the less I'm inclined to believe that you are able to "Sell power back" to the power companies. I think it needs a lot more research to prove it to me, but I'm hoping our innovative human species will find a way to harness all that is out there.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Default website

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Any web sites on those brochures?
So, the website listed on this brochure is www.solarforrentevents.com. I haven't checked it out yet.

The benefits they list are:
- no upfront investment
- no waiting for rebates
- they handle permits, and a few others.

I get fuzzy when they start going on about the contract stuff.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Power company contracts are always "fuzzy". Read and unsderstand before you sign anything. Get a lawyer if you do not understand any contract. Make certain that you will never be financially responsible for the cost of the installation.

I know this is basic economic survival but everybody need to be reminded once in a while.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
We went to a local solar concert/festival this weekend. Everything was solar powered and they had booths set up with info on other green things. There was a booth that advertised solar power for rent. I thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd share.

The company works in conjunction w/the electric provider here (unfortunately, not my provider as I live a little further out of town). They install solar panels on your house according to the size, usage, etc. So, this way, you don't have a huge lump payment to make upfront.

I'm not completely sure how the billing works (I need to read more about it), but essentially your energy bill (between your solar rental and electricity provider) should decrease. The electric company uses "net metering" so they can see how much solar energy you use, and any above that is available for their usage. I'm thinking that's how the rental company makes their money. Because my electric provider doesn't offer net metering, this program is not available for me.

Again, I'm not entirely solid on the details (as you can probably tell), but it does seem like a good program for those wanting to make the switch to solar but not able to afford shelling our $10,000 +.
Thank you for posting this information. I found it most interesting. SRP, my power company offers net metering. I live in Phoenix and using solar panels on my house would make a lot of sense.

I'll have to sit down and do the math and see if it'd work for me because I have a gas water heater and gas heating.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
In Ed Begley's new book, he talks about, and recommends, one of these "solar panels for rent" companies, here's a link:

The Citizenrē Corporation (http://www.citizenre.com/web/index.php - broken link)

Looks like the cost could be as little as $500 up front and then there's a monthly fee. I like the idea, as not everyone has access to $30k+ to purchase their own panels.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM

That's the same company that I listed above. As soon as you go to the link I posted it is Citizenre.

As far as the contracts, that's kind of a moot point for me right now, as my electric company does not offer net metering, therefore I don't qualify for the solar rental. In the future, if they do, I will be sure to read every word of the contract.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
That's the same company that I listed above. As soon as you go to the link I posted it is Citizenre.
Oops! Sorry, I did not go far enough into your link! What can I say, great minds think alike!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living