Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM

62,144 posts, read 88,017,025 times

Advertisements

Everyone loves generous returning policies, but not many actually think about what happens with the returned goods. An estimated 30 to 40% of online purchases are sent back, about triple the rate for items bought in-store.
Amazon and other online sellers are destroying lots of the returns. Stained, smelly clothing is not going to be washed and ironed, then re-packed for resale. Damaged/used appliances are not cleaned/repaired. Liquidation companies are trying to resell some of that stuff, but most of it (mostly those of "used once") is wasted and end up in the trash heap.

We are consuming these resources despite all the problems in the world, and it is unclear how much returned or damaged goods really end up in the garbage every day.

Do you know what happens to clothes after you return them? | Bold Metrics Blog

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c91_story.html

Clothing companies are trashing unsold merchandise instead of donating it. They don’t want anyone to get it for free. Some actually destroy the unsold merchandise and are regularly instructed to drill holes in unsold vinyl records, pour green paint on unsold Toms shoes, slash brand new shoes and bags with box cutters so no one could wear them, cut holes in blankets, and destroy furniture that was deemed unsellable. Destroying these products is a way of “protecting” the brand. There is no reason, other than corporate inertia, for the fashion industry to be so tolerant of waste.

https://theoutline.com/post/2602/clo...=1&zi=kwqqysok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,039,620 times
You can actually buy pallets of returned items from Amazon.... as is.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 AM

9,336 posts, read 6,467,301 times
This is another great reason for individuals to abandon consumerism.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:48 AM

7,378 posts, read 5,300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
This is another great reason for individuals to abandon consumerism.

If we abandon consumerism, who will feed, clothe & house all the Walmart workers put out of a job (or all the Chinamen who make the products)?

A simple solution won't solve a complex problem....BTW- what exactly IS the problem you're trying to solve?

Old 03-25-2019, 02:17 PM

14,734 posts, read 15,207,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If we abandon consumerism, who will feed, clothe & house all the Walmart workers put out of a job (or all the Chinamen who make the products)?

A simple solution won't solve a complex problem....BTW- what exactly IS the problem you're trying to solve?
I'm not answering for the OP but I do think that destruction or wastage of resources for the sake of money and corporate competitiveness is a huge problem in our entitled throw away society. It teaches wrong values.

And as far as Walmart is concerned - Walmart has put millions of productive people out of work. The world doesn't need Walmarts and China won't miss it.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 PM

7,378 posts, read 5,300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not answering for the OP but I do think that destruction or wastage of resources for the sake of money and corporate competitiveness is a huge problem in our entitled throw away society. It teaches wrong values.

And as far as Walmart is concerned - Walmart has put millions of productive people out of work. The world doesn't need Walmarts and China won't miss it.

Well, we're not wasting resources-- name one that we're in danger of depleting.

Manufactured items have usefulness-- or they wouldn't be purchased.

Manufacturing is done for profit, but buyers are buying in their own self interest. How do you figure consumerism is done for profit? The consumer is giving up money. Your comment makes no sense.

In regards Walmart-- you've perpetuated the common myth. Studies by economists have consistently shown that the appearance of a Walmart store improves the economy of the area. It may put some Mom & Pop stores out of business, but generally speaking, Mom & Pop stores only provide two jobs-- one for Mom & one for Pop and rarely anyone else. Mom & Pop close shop and usually go get jobs at Walmart and do better than they did running their own store. Consumers benefit because they get more choices at lower prices. ...Look it up if you don't believe me.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM

23,931 posts, read 33,794,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Everyone loves generous returning policies, but not many actually think about what happens with the returned goods. An estimated 30 to 40% of online purchases are sent back, about triple the rate for items bought in-store.
Amazon and other online sellers are destroying lots of the returns. Stained, smelly clothing is not going to be washed and ironed, then re-packed for resale. Damaged/used appliances are not cleaned/repaired. Liquidation companies are trying to resell some of that stuff, but most of it (mostly those of "used once") is wasted and end up in the trash heap.

We are consuming these resources despite all the problems in the world, and it is unclear how much returned or damaged goods really end up in the garbage every day.

Do you know what happens to clothes after you return them? | Bold Metrics Blog

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c91_story.html

Clothing companies are trashing unsold merchandise instead of donating it. They don’t want anyone to get it for free. Some actually destroy the unsold merchandise and are regularly instructed to drill holes in unsold vinyl records, pour green paint on unsold Toms shoes, slash brand new shoes and bags with box cutters so no one could wear them, cut holes in blankets, and destroy furniture that was deemed unsellable. Destroying these products is a way of “protecting” the brand. There is no reason, other than corporate inertia, for the fashion industry to be so tolerant of waste.

https://theoutline.com/post/2602/clo...=1&zi=kwqqysok
Disgusting. Thankfully I don't buy any of the brands listed. They need to review what they're destroying and stop making so much.

With clothing they can recycle it into insulation. It's stupid not to. I also don't understand why they don't donate some to employees or offer to them for a huge discount. I'm sure most would purchase it if allowed to

Old 05-05-2019, 01:18 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,976,489 times
I am a reluctant Amazon merchant. Truth is, I can't stand them. The only reason I sell on Amazon is to prevent others from selling our brand there at a 100% markup. (They were listing our product on Amazon and then if somebody ordered, the "merchant" would just order from our web site and ship it to their customer). Then the product would get bad reviews because the buyers thought it was too expensive for what it was (and they were right).

Amazon represents about 20% of our sales but 100% of our returns. We never had a product return in over a decade until we started selling on Amazon. A lot of people know they can use a product up and then just send it back for a refund and they abuse this process. I've also had people contact me and tell me to send them free stuff or else they will leave a negative review. I report them and Amazon does NOTHING.

Since our amazon sales are low volume, their fees not only eat up all the profits, sometimes our sales aren't enough to cover all their fees and they charge our credit card. So essentially, we have to pay Amazon to give our product away below our cost to prevent people from stealing our brand. I'm just one merchant. Amazon does this to millions of other mom and pops every day. They created a monster where every other business but theirs loses. Trust me, they could care less if every item they listed wound up in a landfill. If they could, they would find a way to ship from the warehouse to the landfill if they thought they'd profit from it.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:54 PM

9,336 posts, read 6,467,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Quality of life and standard of living are not the same thing. Right now conventional wisdom couples the two ideas together but the problem is that to satisfy those who desire an abundance of inexpensive, material goods, everyone has to participate even those who don't desire many material goods. A high standard of living requires people to subsidize the wants of others and we see this with such "wonderful" socialized concepts as cable TV and Obamacare. I honestly don't care if manufacturing in Asia declines. Too many possessions become a burden and a hindrance on quality of life. Just say no to Chinese imports.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,976,489 times
Which imports should we say "yes" to? Our country has essentially been de-industrialized by regulations and labor laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living