Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

It's ironic. In many parts of the world, there is no clean drinking water. Here in the U.S., pure, drinkable water flows out of every tap, and yet Americans buy a staggering amount of bottled water. We pay big bucks for it, too — more than $15 billion a year.

Bottles, bottles, everywhere : Yahoo! Green
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
In some area's the water might be drinkable, but taste awful, due to excessive chlorination, or well water might have that rotten egg taste and smell (we had that once, yuck!). I buy one of the water filters and use tap water, but another concern is the fact that our water is flouridated (which is controversial). I really hate that fact and have thought about buying bottled, decided against it though, because of the wasted energy.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I've gone around and around on water. In NM, I always bought water and think it was a wise decision, but expensive and yes, a resource poor choice.

Now, I am again using a filter for well water, and generally it tastes good.

However, I think bottled water was and is a chic concept in the States and not one of necessity.

When traveling in countries where water-borne diseases are common (SA, Africa) it is imperative to buy and drink clean water, but is a luxury traveling across the States.

Unfortunately, I might note like the telephone box, water fountains are a thing of the past--except in some rare instances like some streets in Portland (OR) or the Zoo.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,824 times
I'm a guilty one....icebox stocked with 2 different brands of water currently!
BUT I was scared away from local water when I got a notice in the mail last year stating that the water from a local source had too high levels of arsenic that did not pass the Federal standards for drinking water.
Yes, the problem was addressed & fixed, BUT now I have it on my mind when I do indulge in a glass of tap.
It's no disease, but still has it's harmful side effects. And I know, so does bacteria in bottled water.
I think I have come to the conclusion: If it doesn't kill you, then deal with the taste, color, smell, etc.
I disgust myself with the amount of money I spend on bottled water, but I must say, I do recycle.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
In some area's the water might be drinkable, but taste awful, due to excessive chlorination, or well water might have that rotten egg taste and smell
Sure....blame it on the water

I can understand bottled water where its needed, but when you walk past a perfectly good water fountain to buy a bottle, you're just being wasteful.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Question Why not water coolers instead?

Instead of buying bottled water why don't more people just have those big cooler type jugs delivered and then fill a small sports bottle for short trips away from home? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Sure be less plastic filling the landfills,roadways,ect.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
When I was traveling and saw a truck from a major bottled water brand sucking up water from a river I knew then that bottled water was just another scam. It wasn't far off the road along a major Interstate near Reno Nevada. It just pulled off the road and was taking up water. I had stopped to have a drink and eat something. As I watched I couldn't help but wonder what fools were buying it and thinking they were getting something any better than what they could get from a clean toilet.

For all anyone knew, there could have been a dead animal slightly upstream decomposing and spewing all kinds of bacteria into the water. Never mind all the people upstream who needed a "rest" stop also contributing to the flow.

To those that think bottled water is any better than what they get from taps because they've heard or been told about problems with that water, remember, supposedly someone is testing the water in the bottle too. Well, don't they also test the water going to your tap? You trust one but not the other because of a fancy label and a brand name?

Somewhere along the line, it became a fad that stuck and now we're stuck with plastic bottles everywhere.

You know what is strange? People that have their roofs covered with solar panels, they compost, recycle and drive an EV and then leave the house with a plastic water bottle in their hand. Go figure.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Instead of buying bottled water why don't more people just have those big cooler type jugs delivered and then fill a small sports bottle for short trips away from home? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Sure be less plastic filling the landfills,roadways,ect.
Put a deposit on water bottles like on soda which is what NYS does. It's remarkable how fast water bottles stop being thrown out. Even if they are thrown away, somebody will pick them up to collect the nickels.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Put a deposit on water bottles like on soda which is what NYS does. It's remarkable how fast water bottles stop being thrown out. Even if they are thrown away, somebody will pick them up to collect the nickels.
I can remember when I was a kid up in Maine when they did this in 1976. Wish they did this in Ohio, we have a lot of litter here.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I drink my water out of glass, no exceptions. And yes I think everyone should switch to this. Start using 5 gallon glass jugs to fill water up. Then fill up your glass container or water bottle to take with you. Plastic is not good, neither for the environment or your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living