Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Lightrail: solar panels, electricity, green energy, wind turbines, global warming, transport system.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Highway system, the internet, cellphones, tv that was the govt

The govt is here to lead the society as a whole. When we needed a "new deal" that was the govt. People want to beat the govt over the head and not really understand history. Things will be fine, the govt will get us there and we citizens must play our part as well. Is what it is.

Let me get this straight, in an above post you said you don't care about the founding fathers because they are just human, but now you want the US government to lead you to the promise land? They are people as well, and not very efficient in making decisions and having a unified front on anything.

Sorry, I wish I shared your optimism but I'm too much of a realist to be comfortable just sitting back and letting big brother take control over avery facet or my life. The federal government gets more powerful by the day which makes me wonder if you'll regret your trust in it one day. Power corrupts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Highway system, the internet, cellphones, tv that was the govt

The govt is here to lead the society as a whole. When we needed a "new deal" that was the govt. People want to beat the govt over the head and not really understand history. Things will be fine, the govt will get us there and we citizens must play our part as well. Is what it is.
You are giving the government way more than its due. The interstate system that has been funded by the government grew from roads that private persons used to get from here to there. Paths became roads, roads were graded, then paved. Private contractors built roads from cities out to the suburbs, cars created a demand for better roads and transit systems, and the government reacted. The government has nothing to do with the internet except to attempt to regulate it. The government has nothing to do with cellphones or television except to attempt to regulate them. The government does not exist to lead society, it exists to maintain order and resolve disputes in a peaceful manner. We have enabled it to take on additional responsibilities in order to coordinate interstate and international commerce and to provide defense for the country as a whole. The only place government will lead a people is into a bureaucratic hell.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are giving the government way more than its due. The interstate system that has been funded by the government grew from roads that private persons used to get from here to there. Paths became roads, roads were graded, then paved.
Interstate 80 in Nebraska/Wyoming is roughly the same road as the Oregon Trail. The towns in Nebraska along 80 were supply stations for the OT, and also the pony express. FWIW

Old 04-30-2008, 02:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Let me get this straight, in an above post you said you don't care about the founding fathers because they are just human, but now you want the US government to lead you to the promise land? They are people as well, and not very efficient in making decisions and having a unified front on anything.

Sorry, I wish I shared your optimism but I'm too much of a realist to be comfortable just sitting back and letting big brother take control over avery facet or my life. The federal government gets more powerful by the day which makes me wonder if you'll regret your trust in it one day. Power corrupts.
i see, said the blind man.

Quote:
You are giving the government way more than its due. The interstate system that has been funded by the government grew from roads that private persons used to get from here to there. Paths became roads, roads were graded, then paved. Private contractors built roads from cities out to the suburbs, cars created a demand for better roads and transit systems, and the government reacted. The government has nothing to do with the internet except to attempt to regulate it. The government has nothing to do with cellphones or television except to attempt to regulate them. The government does not exist to lead society, it exists to maintain order and resolve disputes in a peaceful manner. We have enabled it to take on additional responsibilities in order to coordinate interstate and international commerce and to provide defense for the country as a whole. The only place government will lead a people is into a bureaucratic hell.
LOL you people really crack me up

link < try researching "the new deal" on top of that

link < take your time, read that and then research the internet and the army.

Do some research, it never killed anyone.

Bottom line, we need mass transit (among other things), joe shmoe isn't going to blink his eyes link Gennie and make it appear. It will be the govt, just as it was the govt who over saw mass transit in NYC, Chicago and the like. This tin foil hat stuff will only set us back (well some of us).

Last edited by Wild Style; 04-30-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times
Surprise surprise. Seems that in NJ, as gas prices rise, people are turning back to public transport.

If it's there, it's efficient and cost effective. People will use it;

A ticket to a lower gas bill- NJ.com

As gas prices continue to set records at the pump, more and more commuters are ditching longtime commuting habits and boarding trains and buses to get to work.

While NJ Transit officials say it's difficult to measure the precise effect of escalating gas prices on ridership, they acknowledged that in recent months they have seen the number of passengers move in sync with rising gas prices. And with forecasts showing little chance for a let-up this summer, that trend could continue -- meaning a major shift in habits for a state that has a long love affair with the automobile.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
i see, said the blind man.

LOL you people really crack me up

link < try researching "the new deal" on top of that

link < take your time, read that and then research the internet and the army.

Do some research, it never killed anyone.

Bottom line, we need mass transit (among other things), joe shmoe isn't going to blink his eyes link Gennie and make it appear. It will be the govt, just as it was the govt who over saw mass transit in NYC, Chicago and the like. This tin foil hat stuff will only set us back (well some of us).
I am not going to exchange insults with you. Rather than putting people down and insulting them, you should research and organize your arguments to support your point of view and present that. Suffice it to say, only time will tell which of us is right, but I think historical evidence is massive that the government is not a leader when it comes to social progress, society leads the government.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Surprise surprise. Seems that in NJ, as gas prices rise, people are turning back to public transport.

If it's there, it's efficient and cost effective. People will use it;

A ticket to a lower gas bill- NJ.com

As gas prices continue to set records at the pump, more and more commuters are ditching longtime commuting habits and boarding trains and buses to get to work.

While NJ Transit officials say it's difficult to measure the precise effect of escalating gas prices on ridership, they acknowledged that in recent months they have seen the number of passengers move in sync with rising gas prices. And with forecasts showing little chance for a let-up this summer, that trend could continue -- meaning a major shift in habits for a state that has a long love affair with the automobile.
We have commuter rail here between three cities and supposedly with in the last year and change ridership has doubled (or tripled I forget which). Mass transit is definitely being move to the fore front.
Quote:
I am not going to exchange insults with you. Rather than putting people down and insulting them, you should research and organize your arguments to support your point of view and present that. Suffice it to say, only time will tell which of us is right, but I think historical evidence is massive that the government is not a leader when it comes to social progress, society leads the government.
I apologize for insulting you. However I have provided proof in the links to backup exactly what I have been stating, take it or leave it, it is what it is.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 AM

I read the links you provided. In 1938 the government decided to become active in building a superhighway system. It was reacting and not leading. They were looking for projects to keep men working during the Depression. And as I said before, many highways developed on the old dirt roads that connected towns. That's why Hwy 02 will be also called Main St in Dupont, and the same highway will be Peters St in Tuckerville. As for the internet article, private business and academia led the way, not the government. The government does not lead societal change, society hauls the government, kicking and screaming, along the way to progress.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interstate 80 in Nebraska/Wyoming is roughly the same road as the Oregon Trail. The towns in Nebraska along 80 were supply stations for the OT, and also the pony express. FWIW
Since we are in an intercity rail thread, does everyone know that most of Route 66 simply follows the Santa Fe rails to the west coast?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I read the links you provided. In 1938 the government decided to become active in building a superhighway system. It was reacting and not leading. They were looking for projects to keep men working during the Depression. And as I said before, many highways developed on the old dirt roads that connected towns. That's why Hwy 02 will be also called Main St in Dupont, and the same highway will be Peters St in Tuckerville. As for the internet article, private business and academia led the way, not the government. The government does not lead societal change, society hauls the government, kicking and screaming, along the way to progress.
dude, again you need to do research as I said before. I have a degree in Computer Info systems, I am not speaking from what I think, from what my gut tells me or what I imagined. The internet was born from arpanet, arpanet was made by DOD, the GOVERNMENT. When it became obsolete to them and they started in on something more robust they then hooked up with academia and funded them to create the modern day internet. Again research what have told you that. The same is true for the highway systems, again do research as I stated in my above post...or not, as I said it is what it is.

Either way, the government is needed they have led the way before and they will do it again. Joe Shmoe's part in all this is to show the government they have the desire to make x,y and z happen. How does this work? Well they need to write to government, and elect officials whose ideas reflect the will of the people. Also, start taking more mass transit if people want it that bad, use whats in place. Show the metro areas, hey, we are using it and we want more of this with more convenience, more coverage etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living