Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 PM

151 posts, read 88,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I'll see your BS (and I do mean BS) and raise you an MD.
Not sure why you feel the need to be tacky and insult my education. I know many MDs who would (and do) disagree with you on a number of points. I don't care either way, hence why I said to "spend the .02 wisely". There are many medical professionals on both sides of the fence on a number of issues, so that obviously isn't a trump card. I was simply offering another perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 05:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Much ado about nothing.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I've been doing my part to single-handedly keep dairy farms in business by downing a gallon of milk almost every day. I'm an adult, I have no issues digesting milk.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,959 times
We average a gallon of milk every week. Even at our ages, we're quite able to digest cow's milk with zero issues. I especially like buttermilk -- one cup makes a great breakfast.

But since I'm currently on a limited calorie intake, I have to ration the amount of cow's milk I drink. I honestly like almond and almond/coconut "milk," which have fewer calories than milk, so I'm drinking them, while Spousal Unit sticks with real milk. I wouldn't touch soy "milk" with a 20 foot pole - that's just nasty.

Nut (not soy) "milk" is very healthy, and as previously stated, has been around for centuries. It's not perfect, but neither is cow's milk. I'll keep both in our refrigerator.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Since most people in the world have always lost their ability to digest milk once they are past breast-feeding age, that would mean that most people in the world have always gotten osteoporosis. That is manifestly not true.
Milk is definitely not the ONLY source of calcium, but it's a good source for people who can digest it.

Also not most people in the world have no ability to digest milk but about a half of them .

The exact number of adults with lactose intolerance is unknown. One estimate puts the average at 65% of the global population.
Rates of lactose intolerance vary between regions, from less than 10% in Northern Europe to as high as 95% in parts of Asia and Africa.
About 30 to 50 million Americans are lactose intolerant (~12%)

Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Milk is definitely not the ONLY source of calcium, but it's a good source for people who can digest it.

Also not most people in the world have no ability to digest milk but about a half of them .

The exact number of adults with lactose intolerance is unknown. One estimate puts the average at 65% of the global population.
Rates of lactose intolerance vary between regions, from less than 10% in Northern Europe to as high as 95% in parts of Asia and Africa.
And there are still many of us who are not lactose intolerant but truly ALLERGIC to the protein in milk. Dairy allergy. No cheese, ice cream, milk, or anything made from milk. Calcium citrate supplement with vitamin D and a magnesium capsule helps to replace the milk. It's a deprivation, not being able to consume dairy products but not all people are able to do so.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:34 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
I adore whole milk, and heavy cream, and always will. About one gallon of whole milk every 4 days, or so. I much prefer raw/unpasteurized to processed, dead milk but it isn't available where I am now. Here is a very useful site for those interested in raw milk. It shows where you can purchase it by state if the laws allow. It's very popular, and tastes delicious. It is tested regularly, and is from grass fed cows which are the best. And grass fed makes for healthier cows.

https://www.realmilk.com/

-------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-09-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 12:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I adore whole milk, and heavy cream, and always will. About one gallon of whole milk every 4 days, or so. I much prefer raw/unpasteurized to processed, dead milk but it isn't available where I am now. Here is a very useful site for those interested in raw milk. It shows where you can purchase it by state if the laws allow. It's very popular, and tastes delicious. They are tested regularly, and are from grass fed which is the best, and makes for healthier cows.

https://www.realmilk.com/

-------------------------------------
According to the map, real milk is available in about half the states! We bought some a few years ago in MA from a privately owned farm and it was beautiful, tasted just like milk used to taste. It even came in glass bottles so no plastic taste. Although I am allergic, I had one lovely gulp of it-YUM!

Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
According to the map, real milk is available in about half the states! We bought some a few years ago in MA from a privately owned farm and it was beautiful, tasted just like milk used to taste. It even came in glass bottles so no plastic taste. Although I am allergic, I had one lovely gulp of it-YUM!
Wonderful! There are lots of goat farms that offer raw goat milk, and other products if that is easier to digest for you. I love the Jersey cow milk since it's richer. When I lived in Colorado you had to have a cow share in order to access raw milk. And they would deliver it weekly to pickup points. It was sooo yummy. And in Washington state you don't need a cow share, and can buy it at certain stores which was very convenient. Some people may be surprised that raw milk isn't white, and that the cream comes to the surface so that you have to shake it to mix it up. I'm so glad you got to try it out. Did you get a reaction from it?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

The ability to produce lactase as an adult appears to be a fairly recent mutation, 20,000 years or so.

Not denying that those who can digest it can take advantage of a food source that others can’t. But the fact is that most humans throughout history did not drink milk as adults.

My known heritage is Northern European, and I have always loved milk in its many varieties. About 10 years ago, dairy starting causing me actual pain, along with other digestive symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living