Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times

Advertisements

I use almond milk because I can't stand the taste of cows milk. I only use it on cereal or baking, so one carton lasts ages. I eat plenty of cheese, kefir & yogurt, so I think my calcium levels should be fine.

Coffee & tea are drunk with no milk or creamer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I guess I'm one of those European 'mutants'. I always thought it was because I've always drank a lot of milk. A lot of people that I know who don't like milk or say that they can't drink it, were not given that much milk as kids. We were. I thought that might have something to do with it, along with being a 'mutant'.

However, you may not be wrong about the osteoporosis part. The last time I had a full check up, probably 67 vials of blood taken by Nurse Dracula (only a very slight exaggeration), the doc discussed all of the results with me. My blood work showed that I had every thing I needed to have...except enough Vitamin D.

I was floored. As I said earlier, I literally drink a gallon of milk almost every single day. A full gallon. And still, I didn't have enough Vit D.

He said I have to go outside and be in the sun. I hate the sun. That's why I don't go outside.

I do walk my dogs, and he said "10 minutes should be enough", but apparently it's not. Either way, 30 gallons of milk a month, give or take a few gallons here and there, I couldn't believe I didn't have enough Vit D. So, I guess we are 'mutants' because that makes no sense.
I believe it, because my experience is that people vary greatly in their ability both to absorb and synthesize vitamin D. This idea that 10 minutes of sunlight is enough for everybody is complete nonsense, in my opinion. What's the latitude? What's the time of year? What's the time of day when you're outside? How much of your skin is actually exposed? All of that matters. Take a 10-minute walk before 10 AM or after 4 PM, or any time at all between October and April, or while wearing long pants and a sweatshirt, and it's pretty useless for vitamin D production.

And, how much D is in your gallon of milk (I'm assuming it's fortified)? Say it is 100 iu/cup. A gallon per day would give you 1600 iu. That sounds like a ton, but I personally have to take 2000 iu/day in supplementation just to stay above the deficient level. This has been shown with numerous blood tests over a 10+ year span. And, I am of European heritage with light skin, live in Southern California, and am out in the sun more than people say you should be, so I am getting some D that way too, but apparently not enough.

If I were you, I'd add a 1000-2000 iu supplement to my diet. It can't hurt, and might help.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
We have more osteoporosis because the human population is getting older and older...

Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

...If I were you, I'd add a 1000-2000 iu supplement to my diet. It can't hurt, and might help.

The concern about Vit D by the docs has been a fad for the last 10 yrs or so. Many studies show those with chronic diseases have lower Vit D levels than those who are healthy. The problem is, no study has yet shown there's any improvement in those conditions by taking supplements to raise levels...More probable explanation is that sick folks don't go out in the sun as much as healthy ones.....In 3 Wolve's case, maybe Vit D levels are low due to negative feedback of high Ca intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
We have more osteoporosis because the human population is getting older and older...

That's certainly one of the factors; also that we're looking for it more, so we're finding it more. ....Another important factor is the role of weight bearing exercise (or heavy work) in preventing osteoporosis....But the fact remains, it's much more common in Caucasian women than others.

I'm suggesting we need to be taking Ca supplements or more dairy throughout life. Once the condition develops, It's hard to reverse. Our Ca metabolism/bone deposition changes with age, so supplements later In life are virtually useless, and the Rx drugs involved make poor, brittle bone, not normal bone.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
This tHread should be moved.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:56 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This tHread should be moved.
Yea, I had intended it to be a discussion of the ecological impact of dairy farming vs that of its alternatives, like that of the palm oil industry on the rainforests of SE Asia....But conversations among intelligent people drift where they will.

Glad to see you're right on top of things here.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The concern about Vit D by the docs has been a fad for the last 10 yrs or so. Many studies show those with chronic diseases have lower Vit D levels than those who are healthy. The problem is, no study has yet shown there's any improvement in those conditions by taking supplements to raise levels...More probable explanation is that sick folks don't go out in the sun as much as healthy ones.....In 3 Wolve's case, maybe Vit D levels are low due to negative feedback of high Ca intake?

That's certainly one of the factors; also that we're looking for it more, so we're finding it more. ....Another important factor is the role of weight bearing exercise (or heavy work) in preventing osteoporosis....But the fact remains, it's much more common in Caucasian women than others.

I'm suggesting we need to be taking Ca supplements or more dairy throughout life. Once the condition develops, It's hard to reverse. Our Ca metabolism/bone deposition changes with age, so supplements later In life are virtually useless, and the Rx drugs involved make poor, brittle bone, not normal bone.
The vitamin D issue--it's an issue for older people not because they don't go out in the sun but because they do not absorb it as well no matter how much they go out in the sun.

Why would calcium supplementation be useless later in life? For those of us who can no longer drink milk but are unable to, we have to take something. I take calcium citrate because it is most easily absorbed. I would never, under any circumstances take some kind of Rx drug for bone health. They tried that on me once and then it was recalled from the market. It's calcium citrate, K2, D3, and magnesium for me--also a tiny bit of boron in my multi. People who can't drink milk would have a terribly hard time trying to get enough from their food.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
I love milk. I drink milk every day. Really fond of butter. And plain yogurt.

I've given up cheese for the most part though. And rarely have cream as I gave up coffee.

I can't imagine a world without dairy products. Bread or lobster without butter? No ice cream, ever.

No mac and cheese?

What a world that would be.
I live in it right now! As do many others.

There's lots of great-tasting food out there.

Sure, I miss the stuff I used to love. But there's lots out there that can fill the gaps.

Talenti's Sorbetto is so good, I hardly feel even a twinge when I pass up the HagenDazs.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,713,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There's a local dairy here that does milk in bottles - regular milk and then flavored milks. I have tried all of them when they had a tasting at the store. I have purchased their chocolate and strawberry because holy cow...and I really didn't mean for any puns...it is so much better than any other flavored milk.

I prefer non fat milk, and right now they don't have that, but even their regular milk tasted better than the stuff in plastic jugs by other dairies.

Unfortunately, they don't deliver to the door - because, like you, I would probably sign right up for that. So, I still have to go to the store to get it. PLUS, if you bring the bottle back to the store, you get $2.00 for each one. They return the bottles to the dairy, the dairy cleans and sanitizes them, and then they re-use them. So, not only is their milk fantastic, they understand how real recycling works.
My dairy has the flavored milks too--they're wonderful. I have to order those sparingly. It's a bit easier to pace myself on their chocolate milk--it's great, but it is rich, so I can only take so much at a time. But their strawberry milk is easy to suck down and not realize how much you've really had.

The dairy will take the empty bottles back every week--I just put them in the cooler and the milkman picks them up when he makes the weekly delivery. Then, like the one you described, they sanitize them and reuse them. They also participate in a 'cash for caps' program--schoolkids collect the bottlecaps and turn them into their school, and the schools take the bottlecaps back to the dairy and get 5 cents a cap. They advised they average about 40,000 caps back a year because of this.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:34 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
It is hard to separate green living from eating based upon "green" precepts. It is also difficult to delve into reasonings without touching upon food science, ethical considerations, religious mores, and idiosyncratic requirements.

The thread could be moved, but for now at least, it needs to remain here. The health impacts, environmental impacts, motivations behind various responses all speak to the greater impact of milk and why we respond to it the way that we do.

BTW, the tops of milk bottles are pogs. Some of them from the 1950s are valuable now. The ones I used to toss from Winnisquam Farms could probably buy me a few good meals now. Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living