Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

..... There is NO excuse for a national news program to have such an IDIOTIC and FALSE statement in a broadcast. .....

I agree that there's no excuse for national news programs to make false and misinformed statements. I think some of them that do this (and it isn't only NBC) simply aren't doing enough research or fact checking before they pass on the information, and they present misleading information out of ignorance.

There's a young-ish news reporter on a local CTV station here who I have noticed over the past few years will constantly refer to wasps and hornets as bees, which really irks me because it gives bees a bad reputation and it promotes potentially dangerous ignorance about these three species in impressionable viewers.

Last night on the news there was a report and video shown of a couple of nests of the Asian Giant Hornets having just been found over on Vancouver Island (BC) within the past couple of weeks. These hornets are the world's very largest and deadliest hornets with a venomous sting that packs a punch hard enough to knock a human down, they are killers, and the above said news reporter kept on referring to them as BEES !!!!! which got me irked all over again and got me thinking that maybe that reporter has been misinformed or hasn't done enough fact checking before reporting this news. Maybe they don't care.

So maybe I should just send that person an email with some information about the differences between them all, and their natures, and the importance of the need to get the names of them and their roles right so that misinformation and further ignorance about bees, wasps and those scary hornets isn't being promoted.

I have to say though that this reporter isn't the only person I've come across that does this, I've heard or read from more people than I can count who have referred to hornets and wasps as bees. Maybe they all think if it has a stinger then it's a bee? So I think this is a very, very widespread fallacy but I think it's worse when the ignorance is being furthered through the media on news reports.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 11:33 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
The problem is, conflating bees, wasps & hornets is done by amazingly poorly educated journalists, and merely reflects their ignorance of the topic at hand. They have no agenda to favor on that particular subject.

But the GW thing is clearly a matter of propaganda meant to influence voters. GW is a wedge issue clearly being used to promote a world wide change in the economy & politics. They've been selling this line for 35 yrs now...Is your weather really any different now than it was 35 yrs ago?...Not noticeably. Someone had to tell you it's different....

The people most susceptible to believing it are those who have only lived thru one half or less of one of the 60 yr dominant cycles.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wouldn't you have to call out all news outlets for one thing or another? Are these lies or different interpretations?
I do call out others from time to time. The "Best State" lists and such are a continuing irritation in their selectivity of criteria and falsehoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree that there's no excuse for national news programs to make false and misinformed statements. I think some of them that do this (and it isn't only NBC) simply aren't doing enough research or fact checking before they pass on the information, and they present misleading information out of ignorance.

There's a young-ish news reporter on a local CTV station here who I have noticed over the past few years will constantly refer to wasps and hornets as bees, which really irks me because it gives bees a bad reputation and it promotes potentially dangerous ignorance about these three species in impressionable viewers.

Last night on the news there was a report and video shown of a couple of nests of the Asian Giant Hornets having just been found over on Vancouver Island (BC) within the past couple of weeks. These hornets are the world's very largest and deadliest hornets with a venomous sting that packs a punch hard enough to knock a human down, they are killers, and the above said news reporter kept on referring to them as BEES !!!!! which got me irked all over again and got me thinking that maybe that reporter has been misinformed or hasn't done enough fact checking before reporting this news. Maybe they don't care.

So maybe I should just send that person an email with some information about the differences between them all, and their natures, and the importance of the need to get the names of them and their roles right so that misinformation and further ignorance about bees, wasps and those scary hornets isn't being promoted.

I have to say though that this reporter isn't the only person I've come across that does this, I've heard or read from more people than I can count who have referred to hornets and wasps as bees. Maybe they all think if it has a stinger then it's a bee? So I think this is a very, very widespread fallacy but I think it's worse when the ignorance is being furthered through the media on news reports.

A letter to the station manager would get the reporter's attention. It might do so even more if a local beekeeper co-signed it and included a sample jar of honey. Ignorance is rampant and some errors are out of ignorance and lack of caring, but some go beyond that, as in the disputed claim that started this thread.

The more that I consider that claim by NBC, the more the absurdity stands out, and the repetition of it in another broadcast marks it as intentional in my mind.

There was Lester Holt, with a perfectly good story about A (singular) receding glacier. To then claim that the meltwater from that glacier warmed the ocean (and the implication is that any such warming is significant enough to be newsworthy) is a crock of methane producing effluent. If you took a glance at the number of rivers in Alaska that also empty fresh water into the ocean, the enormity of water from other sources in relation to the glacier melt from that glacier shows that even if there was such a magical effect, the meltwater would be such a tiny proportion of fresh water that its added effect would be similar to that of a garden hose adding to the flow of water over Niagara Falls.

Those who strongly agree with the idea of climate change should be the most outraged at such nonsense. Reporting like that sabotages and undermines legitimate reports. Those who already disagree with climate change ideas are just going to laugh it off anyway as yet another falsehood. Those who might be on-the-fence are most likely to start agreeing with deniers after watching such reporting.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

...... They've been selling this line for 35 yrs now...Is your weather really any different now than it was 35 yrs ago?...Not noticeably. Someone had to tell you it's different....

Actually, here the climate has changed so much during just the past 20 years, the past 10 years especially, each year it's now so much more noticeable than the year before that it can't be missed or mistaken, it's like a slap in the face. Even more so noticeable further north of my location where I live (I'm in the Fraser Valley in southwest corner of the province - on the used to be so-called WET coast).

During the past 10 years the further north one goes the more glaring the changes are, as well as the consequences of the climate changes over the past few years being much more evident. Many locations that usually got up to 12 feet or more of snow every winter are now lucky if they get 12 inches in a winter season. Certain rivers changing courses or drying up entirely due to glaciers and mountain snowcaps runoffs disappearing and not being refreshed with new snow, more droughts and increasing temperatures and increasingly more and bigger wildfires, with the wildfire season starting earlier each year and ending later each year.

Marine life and the fisheries industries effected, agriculture and forestry industries effected, native wildlife effected, the appearance of new wildlife that were never here before and now there has been an increase in rabies. The two nests of Asian Giant Hornets that were discovered here this week is just one example of the increase of non-native wildlife showing up from hither and yon and lord knows how many more undiscovered nests of those killers there might be by now and they have no natural predators here to keep them in check except for humans.

I could go on and on with examples of the climate and weather changes we're seeing and what is happening here as consequences (and no doubt they would be tediously disputed here if I did mention them, which would make it pointless, so I won't bother) but the real point is to answer your question. The answer being yes it's noticeable, it's unmistakable and nobody up this way needs anyone else to tell them it's different no matter how old they are. It's staring us all in the face. So maybe it's all political/propagandist for you, and that's as good an excuse for people to use for denial as any other excuse I guess, but there's nothing political or propagandist about it up this way, and no possibility of denying it because it's so obviously real. It's like Pandora's Box has been opened.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-21-2019 at 01:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

A letter to the station manager would get the reporter's attention. It might do so even more if a local beekeeper co-signed it and included a sample jar of honey. Ignorance is rampant and some errors are out of ignorance and lack of caring, but some go beyond that, as in the disputed claim that started this thread.

I do get your point such as in the disputed claim that you started this thread about. I watch both American and Canadian live news casts and have noticed some differences between our two countries in the reporting standards and the styles of reporting. There are more emotional or excitable or dramatic displays seen in some of the reports from across the border, like some of the reporters are trying to get their viewers wound up really tight.

Thanks for suggesting a letter to the station manager, I think that's a better idea than simply sending an email to just the reporter. I'll send a letter to the station manager and a cc to the reporter so they each know the other one got the same letter. And I know just the bee keepers to co-sign it and provide further information. That there might possibly be more undiscovered giant hornets nests is a major concern for the bee keepers that I know here, because bees (and wasps) and their hives/nests are the main prey of the hornets and those hornets hunt at night as well as in daytime.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Actually, here the climate has changed so much during just the past 20 years, the past 10 years especially, each year it's now so much more noticeable than the year before …

It's a 60 yr cycle. Be patient and bring this up again 40 yrs from now.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:31 AM

998 posts, read 436,394 times
The "Manila" thread may not have been to your (Harry Chickpea) satisfaction but where does lahar comes from? Some Pacific nations are flooding already because of rise in sea level. Where are the melted glaciers?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
The "Manila" thread may not have been to your (Harry Chickpea) satisfaction but where does lahar comes from? Some Pacific nations are flooding already because of rise in sea level. Where are the melted glaciers?
You misunderstand how science works. The individual who makes a theory, claim, or supposition is the one who has to provide the supporting credible and independently verifiable evidence, not the audience. When that is not forthcoming, the theory is dismissed by others. You claimed voids under a park without a shred of proof other than an argument by authority, which is disallowed in debate. (See my sig below). Further, in my independent research of lahar, Ama, and your previous claims elsewhere, it is obvious that some of the inflated statements you have made/reported in the past have been proven false by the passage of time. (That evaluation of your premise, past success, and veracity is similar to how peer review in science works on good days, but much gentler.)

The effect of unsubstantiated claims and argument by authority is to take away from clarity and focus rather than help the work towards greater understanding. That you believe in the prophecies of Ama is fine by me, and I recognize your right to use that as part of your personal belief system; that is not the issue. The issue is that ANY belief, whether of Ama or Kermit the Frog or divine inspiration does not convey the right to proselytize and disrupt.

Please do not get yourself in real hot water by further pursuit of such arguments, or discussing moderation. The T.O.S. will be strictly enforced.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

It's a 60 yr cycle. Be patient and bring this up again 40 yrs from now.

Uumm - I don't want to get into an another argument with you because I know from experience that you like to argue for the sake of argumentation but (1) I don't believe that 60 year cycle stuff, I think it's nonsense made up to detract and deflect, and (2) I don't think for one minute that you actually believe any of it either.

and (3) Bringing up my observations 10, 20, 40 years later IS what I'm doing right now. Being an old woman who grew up and spent most of my life as a northern homesteader I already started monitoring (not just observing but actually monitoring) the changes that were happening in our climate 70 years ago. A habit I learned early on from my homesteading/lighthouse keeper/naturalist father (born in 1906) who started monitoring the changes in our oceans and our climate in the early 1920's. I still have his comprehensive notes that he wrote daily from during the dust bowl years of the 1930's all the way up to when he passed away in the early 90's (not counting the time he was in service overseas during WW2, he didn't take climate notes then). Barring miracles in the health field I likely won't be here in another 40 years from now. But the changes I've been monitoring in 70 years and now exponentially during just the past 10 - 20 years alone are evidence enough for me of being a precursor to much, much more extreme climate conditions ahead to come for everybody (yes, you too) between now and 40 years from now.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:58 PM

The 60 yr cycle is rather obvious: 60-Year Cycle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living