U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 PM
 
302 posts, read 111,460 times
Reputation: 542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have to wonder if formaldehyde plays a large roll in this sensitivity to the fragrances in laundry products: https://www.bustle.com/p/7-household...-them-9690519? Formaldehyde is one of those chemicals that some of us can live with (to a degree) and some of us are super-sensitive to even the smallest exposure. It is all about individual tolerance.

My thinking is that maybe some of the fragrances might contain the smallest concentration of formaldehyde as a preservative and some might not. But I don't know, I am just asking.

Many years ago a group of 12 of us were exposed to a strong formaldehyde smell. Most of us simply had burning eyes and a sore throat. But one woman in the group turned blue and stopped breathing. If it was not for a quick response from a paramedic team and removing her from the source, I think we would have lost her. While formaldehyde is a great preservative it has many dangers.
Formaldehyde and phthalates. I've heard mast cell activation can cause a reaction like she had. Maybe asthma?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2021, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,808 posts, read 14,512,755 times
Reputation: 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
So because of Covid everyone's been home more. Our neighbor's 3 adult children moved back home bringing their own children, 7 dogs, too many cats to count and a large RV parked out front (yes, think cousin Eddie)....If you're imagining twangy fiddle music you know what I'm describing here.
They LOVE that strong sickly sweet Gain detergent. We can smell them from a long distance when they walk by our home.
Needless to say the air outside reeks nearly round the clock with 6 people doing laundry at various times. We spot ALOT of empty cans of those scent blasting dryer beads and various other scent boosters in their garbage when we set our cans next to theirs on garbage pick up day....Even their garbage smells heavily scented!
After their grandchildren played in our yard and used our pool they actually left behind this aroma of Gain on our floating mats!
I feel sorry for these kids because they always seem to be suffering from runny noses, red swollen eyes etc. Probably from those heavily scented products. We smell it on the dogs and cats too when we pet them.
all these perfumes on detergents household cleaners.. shampoos etc etc cause so much health issues. ban the damn lot of them. as an MCS sufferer for over fifty years I know what makes us ill.. believe me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,808 posts, read 14,512,755 times
Reputation: 23719
Chidren and babies especially shouldnt be surrounded by perfumes at all.. but most are.with scented candles which are lethal.. heavily perfumed laundry products as you have to understand that we then wear clothes , bedding , underwear washed and dried in these smelly products 24 hours a day with no let up.. think how that must affect lungs , skin and other organs... its time this was regulated much more and products in supermarkets changed or must have warnings on them like cigarettes.......Perfumes too no matter how expensive carry dangers.. and most cosmetics. its time I think we should all change and understand whats going on.. the symptoms suffered by these products is horrible from brain fog. headaches. frustration.. lack of concentration.. mood swings.. skin problems.. sleep problems.. oh I could go on.... so many horrible symptoms and a many people rush to the doctors thinking they have depression or some other illness when its being caused by whats in their house or workplace .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 01:52 AM
 
302 posts, read 111,460 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
all these perfumes on detergents household cleaners.. shampoos etc etc cause so much health issues. ban the damn lot of them. as an MCS sufferer for over fifty years I know what makes us ill.. believe me.
There are some petitions online. Maybe there's been some lawsuits? But most people seem to like this stuff. Unscented users are the minority. I guess they don't get sick from it. I feel like I have the flu/brainfog/migraine /cold symptoms for days when I'm exposed to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 02:05 AM
 
Location: California
32,982 posts, read 36,544,857 times
Reputation: 29236
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Strange- you’d think clean laundry would just have no smell at all. I use unscented as well with dryer balls.

I have to admit that the dryer smells don’t bother me as much as the scented trash bags. Those tend to have more “stealth” smells. They aren’t labeled as being un smelly and then they are... like, I just want a regular bag, people. I don’t need to have trash smelling like trash WITH an artificial scent.

OMG Yes! I bought one once that said "odor blocker" or something and it REEKED. I hate that fabreeze smell on the scented ones too!

Why? Just WHY?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 AM
 
302 posts, read 111,460 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Chidren and babies especially shouldnt be surrounded by perfumes at all.. but most are.with scented candles which are lethal.. heavily perfumed laundry products as you have to understand that we then wear clothes , bedding , underwear washed and dried in these smelly products 24 hours a day with no let up.. think how that must affect lungs , skin and other organs... its time this was regulated much more and products in supermarkets changed or must have warnings on them like cigarettes.......Perfumes too no matter how expensive carry dangers.. and most cosmetics. its time I think we should all change and understand whats going on.. the symptoms suffered by these products is horrible from brain fog. headaches. frustration.. lack of concentration.. mood swings.. skin problems.. sleep problems.. oh I could go on.... so many horrible symptoms and a many people rush to the doctors thinking they have depression or some other illness when its being caused by whats in their house or workplace .
My son's asthma Dr said alot of his pediatric patient's families smell strongly of this stuff. Kids I've seen smelling like this always have runny noses, red eyes, skin rash. It can contribute to inconsolable crying, reflux and even crib death in infants. Drs and drug companies profit off of this fragrance induced illness.

My friends prescribed allergy meds/inhalers also use those heavily scented products. They don't understand the connection. They were recently prescribed nightime breathing machines similar to an oxygen mask yet continue using scented detergent, softener, boosting beads, spray their furniture and carpet with febreeze, and use scented wax burners kept plugged in full time.

Two years ago was the last time I could stand visiting them in their home. It took two days of recovery, two showers to remove the smell from my hair/body. Two days with a slight fever, flu, cold symptoms. It affected the rest of my family but my asthmatic son and I were hit the hardest.
The febreeze we sat on couldn't be washed out of our clothes. It's patented and indestructable therefore the clothes were donated.

Last edited by Withinpines; 04-14-2021 at 03:01 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 03:13 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,808 posts, read 14,512,755 times
Reputation: 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
There are some petitions online. Maybe there's been some lawsuits? But most people seem to like this stuff. Unscented users are the minority. I guess they don't get sick from it. I feel like I have the flu/brainfog/migraine /cold symptoms for days when I'm exposed to it.
I understand what your saying and I used to love perfumes myself in my teens..and maybe some dont notice or think their being harmed..but Ive often thought about people who suffer from migraines.. depression.. moody people etc who dont may not connect whats around them in the home etc as the culprit..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 AM
 
Location: stuck in the woods with bears and moose
23,452 posts, read 22,621,067 times
Reputation: 42451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
OMG Yes! I bought one once that said "odor blocker" or something and it REEKED. I hate that fabreeze smell on the scented ones too!

Why? Just WHY?
Yeh, these ads on tv that say something eliminates odors, all they do is cover it up.

I knew some people who bought a new house, ended up getting so sick that they had to move out after a year. Everything they owned reeked and I know because they moved their possessions into one room of their next apartment. They asked me to go into that room and get some things out for them. I tried but I couldn't stand the smell. It made me dizzy and sick, just a sickening smell.

They ended up suing somebody, the makers of their carpeting, I think. It was over the safe levels for formaldehyde.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2021, 02:03 PM
 
6,999 posts, read 3,327,207 times
Reputation: 13268
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, these ads on tv that say something eliminates odors, all they do is cover it up.

I knew some people who bought a new house, ended up getting so sick that they had to move out after a year. Everything they owned reeked and I know because they moved their possessions into one room of their next apartment. They asked me to go into that room and get some things out for them. I tried but I couldn't stand the smell. It made me dizzy and sick, just a sickening smell.

They ended up suing somebody, the makers of their carpeting, I think. It was over the safe levels for formaldehyde.
I had a friend who had to move due to a problem with wallpaper glue making her sick after she got pregnant. It might have been the same issue with formaldehyde.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2021, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,808 posts, read 14,512,755 times
Reputation: 23719
Not that Im really interested in suing anyone. it was a firm of Printers in Glasgow where I got sick way back in the mid 60s when I was a teenager... Years later when I did talk with a friend who is a lawyer I was told that if I didnt have notes on my medical file that I suffered from sickness due to chemicals at work there wasnt a thing now that I can do...back then doctors wanted to treat me with pills for depressions and anxiety , both of which I didnt have.. and refused this medication..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top