U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:31 PM

266 posts, read 103,651 times

Advertisements

This has been the situation at our home for a few years. It comes in our windows nearly round the clock now. We keep the windows closed even on nights we need to cool the house down. These new stronger scented laundry products actually make us feel sick. They transfer onto clothing when sitting on public seating and don't wash out. I miss the old formulations that weren't pollution. We don't feel we should be forced to breathe this stuff inside our home or in our own yard. We're given no choice and rarely breathe fresh air at home anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 AM

7,849 posts, read 12,375,296 times
Great sympathy for you OP. I long ago switched to scentless laundry products. Those heavily scented dryer sheets are nauseating.

Any possibility of buying some scentless products and nicely asking your neighbors to use them???

Old 10-08-2019, 01:23 PM

422 posts, read 550,045 times
I'm super reactive to scented laundry products and can barely breathe if they're in the air.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,672,823 times
What's your living situation that you have to breathe this "pollution"? Do your neighbors do laundry on a daily basis or do you live on top of a laundromat?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 AM

45,909 posts, read 65,512,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
This has been the situation at our home for a few years. It comes in our windows nearly round the clock now. We keep the windows closed even on nights we need to cool the house down. These new stronger scented laundry products actually make us feel sick. They transfer onto clothing when sitting on public seating and don't wash out. I miss the old formulations that weren't pollution. We don't feel we should be forced to breathe this stuff inside our home or in our own yard. We're given no choice and rarely breathe fresh air at home anymore.
Yeah, and people don't even know how that stuff destroys their clothes.
I hate stores with "scent added" too...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:34 AM

422 posts, read 550,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
What's your living situation that you have to breathe this "pollution"? Do your neighbors do laundry on a daily basis or do you live on top of a laundromat?

The bike path near me is lined with homes on one side, the lake on the other. I can no longer use the bike path due to the laundry odors, and yeah I know I'm the canary in the coal mine.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM

19,968 posts, read 60,242,461 times
My immune system sometimes goes into overdrive. During those times I can't even walk down the laundry aisle in a store. One time I managed to find unscented dryer sheets. When I got home, the box smelled strongly of scent. I took one unopened box back to the store and complained to the maker. After about two weeks, the opened box no longer smelled. Just sitting on a shelf next to the scented ones had contaminated it. The stuff is evil. May the maker's expensive champagne reek of the stench.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:53 PM

266 posts, read 103,651 times
I can smell/taste laundry products/air freshener on food and products purchased at regular grocery stores. Baked goods, cellophaned meat, paper towels etc absorb the fragrance through the packaging. We've returned bread, cookies, muffins, that tasted/ smelled like laundry detergent. Any book, paper good, school supply, stationary item, absorbs scented ambient store air. I no longer buy gifts/toys/books at Fred Meyer because they smell heavily fragranced. A sealed puzzle I bought smelled like air freshener. We've opened cereal packages that smell of fabric softener inside the bag. Shopping online isn't much better, some stuff has arrived fragranced also. Costco's food sometimes smells like laundry detergent/fabric softener. Whole foods and natural markets are the only place we shop for food that's not contaminated from heavily fragranced products or ambient store air.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:07 PM

23,402 posts, read 22,544,330 times
People actually buy that stuff on purpose. Yesterday I was in the grocery store buying a get well card for someone and the cards were in the same aisle as that smelly laundry stuff. I could barely stand it. An entire long aisle full of it. As I was leaving (with my hand covering my nose) I saw stupid plastic things that people can plug in and they will make smells. How idiotic. That stuff is mostly toxic/not good for you. For laundry I used plain old Borax and it doesn't smell at all.

I don't know what we can do about it. I've love to see a lot of this stuff banned even though I don't get much of it when I am outside walking. It's mostly in the stores that I get exposed to it.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:43 PM

88,788 posts, read 82,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I live in a development where the homes are very close together; instead of individual yards, there's a large park in the center of the development, for kids to play in, and picnics. The neighbors' laundry vent seems to be right by my front door, so when I come and go on their laundry days, I have to pass through a cloud of chemical odor.

I had no idea this was a widespread problem. It doesn't inspire confidence in avoiding the issue when I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living